Newbie Shopping for Hybrid

Old October 18th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
alath

Default Newbie Shopping for Hybrid

Hello, I am new to cycling and looking for a hybrid.

I will do some riding on country roads including gravel, but mostly
pavement and some urban.
I could go up to $500 but I would be a lot happier in the $300's.

At my local bike store I have looked at some Trek and Gary Fisher.

About half the time I ride, I have my small son in a baby seat over the
back tire.

I have been riding all Summer on a $65 mountain-style bike from
Wal-Mart. I have learned a lot about bicycle maintenance, what with all
the things falling off, going out of adjustment, and breaking on this
bike. It was at least a good investment to let me know I enjoy riding
and will do enough of it to justify a better bike.
This bike has bar ends, which I like.
It has grip shifters, which I do not like (prefer the trigger-style
shifters).
It has shocks on the front forks. I'm not sure how badly I really need
this feature.

Any advice? Suggestions? Favorite brands? Brands or models to steer
clear from?

Old October 19th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

alath wrote:
[...]

When I was on vacation, I rented a Specialized Sirrus. It was the first
hybrid I had ever ridden and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I
ride road bikes almost exclusively, but if I was going to look at a
hybrid, I would sure consider the Sirrus.

It's got a fixed fork, no suspension. I really don't think I would ever
want suspension for the city riding I do. I had a mountain bike with
front suspension for a little while and it felt mushy to me. I know
some folks just love front suspension, but I can live without it.
Old October 19th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hello, I am new to cycling and looking for a hybrid.

I will do some riding on country roads including gravel, but mostly
pavement and some urban.
I could go up to $500 but I would be a lot happier in the $300's.

At my local bike store I have looked at some Trek and Gary Fisher.

About half the time I ride, I have my small son in a baby seat over the
back tire.

If your son's going to be on the back while riding on something less than a
perfect road, you'll be better off with a mountain bike (or one of Trek's
"Navigator" series, built on a mountain bike platform) than a hybrid. The
hybrid wheels are quite a bit narrower and won't handle the load as well,
nor be as stable. You might check out the Navigator 3.0 (around $450) and
2.0 (about $300). The 26" wheels (vs 700c on the hybrid) make a big
difference in durability and stability.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
ups.com...

Old October 19th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pj

I bought a Specialized Crossroads Sport back in late February (2005 model).
If I had it to do over, I'd have bought something else. I think the seat
was designed by the Marquis de Sade - even after just 2 or 3 miles it is
quite uncomfortable. The springs (it has many) squeaked unmercifully until
I sprayed the heck out of it with various lubes for the 5th or 6th time. I
thought it was the front suspension squeaking, but finally (and it took them
a while) my dealer found out it was the seat squeaking.

The pedals were really flimsy and cracked after just a few months (no, they
weren't even close to abused).

I got a good deal since it was last year's model, but I wish I had tried out
the Trek equivalent a little longer. If I had it to do over, I'd buy
something else, probably the Trek.

ups.com...

Old October 20th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
don Gabacho

alath wrote:

I'd look for a used, but excellent condition, Specialized Rockhopper
and put Bontrager Comfort tires (w/liners and, in the rear, extra-thick
tube).

Especially with a kid on the back.

But I already have one---the Rockhopper that is.

(Btw, the combination of comfort tires and seat precludes any need for
any suspension: front, rear or post.)

Old October 20th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alex O.

I'd like to piggy back on this thread.

I'm a complete newb (last time I owned a bicycle was about 25 years
ago), looking for a bicycle.
It will mostly be used for commuting to work (10-15km each way, Toronto
weather permitting) but I'd like it to be able to withstand a dirt road
once in a while (in a park with the family) and/or a toddler in a child
seat in the back.

I'd prefer a reasonably comfortable ride, especially easy on the back
:-)
And, most importantly, something that comes in smaller sizes, for a
5'3" - 5'4" male.

Unfortunately, I don't even know where to start.

Type: Hybrid? Mountain? Comfort (whatever it is)?
Some people recommended a hybrid without a front suspension.

Frame: Aluminium? Steel?
Some people told me that Al is too "stiff"

Size: Frame size? Wheel size?
As I said above, I'm short.

Price: I don't like to spend too much on the bike.

Please advise!
I'd like to get a bike at the show tomorrow
(http://www.telsec.net/bicycleshow/ht.../fallshow.html)

Thank you,
Alex.

Old October 20th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Buck

Alex O. wrote:
I'd like to piggy back on this thread.

I'm a complete newb (last time I owned a bicycle was about 25 years
ago), looking for a bicycle.
It will mostly be used for commuting to work (10-15km each way, Toronto
weather permitting) but I'd like it to be able to withstand a dirt road
once in a while (in a park with the family) and/or a toddler in a child
seat in the back.

I wouldn't put a seat on the back of a skinny-tire bike (700c). This
requirement should direct you to a comfort or mountain bike. The tires
and the handlebars are the biggest hindrance for using a mountain bike
for commuting. Knobby tires can be switched for slicks. Bar-ends can be
added or the handlebar can be replaced with a "trekking" bar. These
changes are what makes my mountain bike suitable for commuting. I ride
it about half of the time. For commuting, fenders are also a must-have
part. Make sure you can mount them if you think you will ride on rainy
days.

I find that "comfort" bikes are basically worked-over mountain bikes
that are decidedly uncomfortable on longer rides.

I'd prefer a reasonably comfortable ride, especially easy on the back
:-)
And, most importantly, something that comes in smaller sizes, for a
5'3" - 5'4" male.

Unfortunately, I don't even know where to start.

Type: Hybrid? Mountain? Comfort (whatever it is)?
Some people recommended a hybrid without a front suspension.

For road riding, suspension is usually considered overkill. That being
said, I commuted exclusively on a full-suspension mountain bike for
several years. Suspension does add complexity and more maintenance
while giving little benefit on the road. But it sure can be nice if you
have to ride rough roads!

Frame: Aluminium? Steel?
Some people told me that Al is too "stiff"

This is a load of B.S. Of course, there will be those claim otherwise.
Here's the standard logic test - remove the tires and try to compress
the frame. It doesn't matter what the frame is made from, steel,
aluminum or carbon fiber, the frame isn't going to flex. The tires are
much more compliant than a frame ever will be. Want to make a stiff
ride softer? Add bigger tires.

Size: Frame size? Wheel size?
As I said above, I'm short.

Go with what fits. Find someone at the shop who knows how to fit you to
a bike properly and see what they have to say. Don't buy it if it isn't
comfortable. There are plenty of bicycle fit guides on the web. A
smaller wheel size will help prevent toe overlap. Toe overlap occurs
when you turn the front wheel sharply while the cranks are horizontal.
The wheel hits your toes.

Price: I don't like to spend too much on the bike.

You can buy a lot of bicycle for $300 to $400. You can buy a lot of
junk for less.

Please advise!
I'd like to get a bike at the show tomorrow

Here's the advice - don't rush it. It's better to pay a little more for
something that is comfortable which you will ride than something that
is uncomfortable which you won't ride. Bikes can last a long time, so
their purchase price is spread out over many years. My oldest bike was
built in the 60s and one of my most used bikes was built in the 70s. If
I had bought them at list price back then (I didn't), I would have
spent less than $3 a year apiece to own them (not counting
maintenance).

-Buck

Old October 23rd 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On 20 Oct 2006 09:25:05 -0700, "Alex O."
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about sizing, but I use a Trek 7100 hybrid to commute.
It's around US$300. That's about the bottom that you can spend for a
decent bike I think. I've put about 14,000 miles on it so far and have
upgraded the cassette and tires/wheels to make them a bit tougher.

It's aluminum and I don't know what stiff means; I'm not racing it and
I'm not climbing mountains either . I really don't need the front
suspension I suppose, and after a few winters of commuting, it's sort
of getting to the point that it no longer has one. I oil it and stuff
but it's really starting to stick quite a bit. I don't know how easy
it is to find a bike that doesn't have one though.

It has grip shifts, which the OP doesn't like, but I find very useful
for winter commuting since I use battery heated mittens when it gets
much below freezing. I have the thumb/finger type shifters on a
mountain bike, and I like them a lot, but I can't use them with
mittens and no gloves on earth keep my fingers warm.

I do like the hybrid positioning better than road or mountain. I don't
like riding hunched over; the only downside is riding into the wind
and being pretty upright. At that point you wish for a road bike, but
it doesn't happen very often. I have to watch for traffic, and I find
it tough if my head is facing down and I'm trying to look forward all
the time.

I would spend more on a bike at this point, maybe the 7300 which is
just under $500, but I have to park it outside in New York City and it
just isn't worth doing. If I had an indoor place to put it, I'd buy it
in a second.

I thought hybrid and comfort were sort of the same thing, but I think
comfort tends to come with those big butt seats. You don't need those
if the bike fits right. My understanding is that your weight should be
distributed among your feet, butt, and arms. Obviously a hybrid does
place more of the weight on the butt, but you should have enough of it
on the feet and arms so that your butt doesn't get sore. I never
notice that as an issue and could probably use a lighter seat than I
have.

Good luck with whatever you get. You have a fairly short commute and
it should be fun and easy to do. Mine is 15 miles each way, from the
middle of Queens to the southern tip of Manhattan. It goes by pretty
quickly though.

Brompton: small wheels and shopping [email protected] UK 2 June 29th 06 04:16 PM
Shopping trolley menace Sue White UK 19 April 3rd 06 09:07 PM
RR: Tax Free Shopping Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 0 December 24th 05 03:38 AM
Bike magazine joke. (I'm a newbie, and I don't get it....) Hell and High Water Marketplace 9 August 14th 05 01:41 AM
I'm Off Christmas Shopping Not Responding UK 6 December 21st 04 11:22 PM