Over the moon

Old August 27th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gaz[_2_]

Default Over the moon

Hi all, I'd to start this post with a huge WOOHOO. I done my first 100
mile ride yesterday. Only pain today is a slightly sore crotch. For
folks who know the Sussex/Hants area my route went from Chichester to
Littlehampton up to Amberly via Arundel then basically followed the
scarp of the downs via Midhurst. Lunch at Buriton then along to East
Meon, down to Hambledon then up Portsdown hill by the Nelson Monument.
Then and nice ride downhill into Havant and home via the Anchor Bleu
in Bosham. 102.77 Miles, 7hrs 56 mins so I didnt break any records.
AVG 12.95mph.
Heres to the next one.
Gaz

Old August 27th 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Gaz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I'd to start this post with a huge WOOHOO. I done my first 100
mile ride yesterday. Only pain today is a slightly sore crotch. For
folks who know the Sussex/Hants area my route went from Chichester to
Littlehampton up to Amberly via Arundel then basically followed the
scarp of the downs via Midhurst. Lunch at Buriton then along to East
Meon, down to Hambledon then up Portsdown hill by the Nelson Monument.
Then and nice ride downhill into Havant and home via the Anchor Bleu
in Bosham. 102.77 Miles, 7hrs 56 mins so I didnt break any records.
AVG 12.95mph.
Heres to the next one.
Gaz

Nice one Gary. :-) Well done.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old August 27th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 27/08/2007 10:44, Gaz said,
Hi all, I'd to start this post with a huge WOOHOO. I done my first 100
mile ride yesterday.

I still remember how my first 100 mile ride felt! (108, actually). I was
15 at the time, and had another 30-ish to go from Ivybridge to Liskeard
the next day!

That was my *only* 100 mile ride to date :-(

Well done!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 27th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Blewett

Gaz wrote:
Hi all, I'd to start this post with a huge WOOHOO. I done my first 100
mile ride yesterday. Only pain today is a slightly sore crotch. For
folks who know the Sussex/Hants area my route went from Chichester to
Littlehampton up to Amberly via Arundel then basically followed the
scarp of the downs via Midhurst. Lunch at Buriton then along to East
Meon, down to Hambledon then up Portsdown hill by the Nelson Monument.
Then and nice ride downhill into Havant and home via the Anchor Bleu
in Bosham. 102.77 Miles, 7hrs 56 mins so I didnt break any records.
AVG 12.95mph.
Heres to the next one.
Gaz

Congratulations!

Must be something about yesterday because I too did my first 100 mile,
from Cambridge to Kingston, with some detours to extend the route.

I too didn't break any records; 103 miles in 8h 30min. First 50 miles
were great (and done in about 3.5hours) but only took on water then hit
a brick wall and really struggled, no matter what I ate/drank. Recovered
by the end of the ride, and suspect I should of been snacking earlier to
keep energy levels up... o well something learnt for next time!

Mark
Old August 27th 07, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 27/08/2007 22:04, Mark Blewett said,

a brick wall and really struggled, no matter what I ate/drank.

Jelly Babies... these have a high glycaemic index, which is my excuse :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 28th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gaz[_2_]

On 27 Aug, 23:11, Paul Boyd wrote:
On 27/08/2007 22:04, Mark Blewett said,

a brick wall and really struggled, no matter what I ate/drank.

Jelly Babies... these have a high glycaemic index, which is my excuse :-)

--
Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

I took cheese rolls and kellogs elevenses choc chip bars and crisps.
No high tech energy bars for me, but didnt hit a wall.

Old August 28th 07, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Gaz said the following on 28/08/2007 09:01:

I took cheese rolls and kellogs elevenses choc chip bars and crisps.
No high tech energy bars for me, but didnt hit a wall.

I'm not sure that Jelly Babies count as high-tech energy bars :-)

Jelly Babies and flapjack will get you anywhere!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 28th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Aug 27, 5:04 pm, Mark Blewett wrote:
Gaz wrote:
[...]

I've done 3-4 lone centuries. I find it is much better to stop and
have lunch along the way. Soup, maybe a grilled cheese sandwich and a
butter tart. Oh and if on the right route a quick pint about 5 km
from home

Old August 28th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:34:17 +0100, Paul Boyd
said in :

I still remember how my first 100 mile ride felt! (108, actually). I was
15 at the time, and had another 30-ish to go from Ivybridge to Liskeard
the next day!

Heh! Mine was St Albans to Marlow and back, aged about 19.

The last one was, IIRC, a CTC run the year before last. Actually I
did two 100-milers on successive Sundays, with 75 miles of commuting
the week between. I was a bit fitter then. And using a *comfy*
bike )

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old August 28th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

Paul Boyd usenet.is.worse@plusnettyped

Gaz said the following on 28/08/2007 09:01:

I took cheese rolls and kellogs elevenses choc chip bars and crisps.
No high tech energy bars for me, but didnt hit a wall.

I'm not sure that Jelly Babies count as high-tech energy bars :-)

Jelly Babies and flapjack will get you anywhere!

Up to a point, and I *like* jelly babies!

Jelly babies are almost pure glucose with all that entails.

Flapjacks are a good combination of fat, starch and sugar, with a pinch
of salt, all useful in their place.

There's sometimes a point on a long ride when you're sick of sweet,
sticky food, your teeth are plaquey and you yearn for savoury food. I
don't think fish & chips are a good idea (though they were de rigueur
when I did the Brevet Cymru) but a cheese sandwich or pizza can do
nicely.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Moon Saddle siafirede Unicycling 8 December 19th 06 09:53 PM
Moon trials burnitalltwice Unicycling 40 April 18th 05 05:59 PM
im cycling to the moon for some pie!!! [email protected] Social Issues 0 December 8th 04 01:07 AM
RR: Cool Moon Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 2 November 28th 04 12:22 AM
Muni on the Moon? dforbes Unicycling 71 January 20th 04 09:43 PM