Puncture Repairs

Old February 8th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

Default Puncture Repairs

So, last night i got a pinch flat...
I realised i was out of the rubber cement stuff to carry out a repair
so i am off shopping soon to get another repair kit.
Is there different quality ones? Would one from a bike shop be better
than one from a Department Store?
Please advise.
Thanks people.
Sorry if there is a thread on this, i'm at work and dont have time to
search.
Peace.

--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

why dont you just get another tube? (sorry, this probably isnt solving
anything)

--
unibikeling

unibikeling wrote:

chrome wrote:
Difficult to mount, but a fun ride once you get her going....

-if only my unicycle was that dirty

'lol...' (http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com)

my 'myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/gramwashere)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

unibikeling wrote:
why dont you just get another tube? (sorry, this probably isnt solving
anything)

Coz 19in trials are not available in Tasmania, so i'd have to order off
UDC which would cost nearly $30 AUD (incl postage) which is quite a
lot, i'd also not be able to ride on the weekend as i'd be waiting for
delivery.

--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

oh, i see, why dont you buy a 20'' tube? it'd work, i got tubes that are
too long that are in smaller tires for mine. Either that or just like
buy some small patches or something

--
unibikeling

Old February 8th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

'Sheldon Brown' (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html) explains the
patching procedure (scroll down to Patching).

The style of patch that uses rubber cement is the best kind. The self
adhesive quick patches aren't reliable and should only be considered a
temporary patch till you can get home and replace the tube. The rubber
cement patches are a permanent patch when done correctly.

The rubber cement will go bad after a while after being opened. You
can buy additional new tubes of rubber cement at your local bike shop
or possibly even your local auto supply shop.

You can also use a 20" BMX tube in a 19" trials tire. Just find the
fattest 20" tube you can (2.25" or bigger) so it is able to stretch
well.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

john_childs wrote:
'Sheldon Brown' (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html) explains the
patching procedure (scroll down to Patching).

The style of patch that uses rubber cement is the best kind. The self
adhesive quick patches aren't reliable and should only be considered a
temporary patch till you can get home and replace the tube. The rubber
cement patches are a permanent patch when done correctly.

The rubber cement will go bad after a while after being opened. You
can buy additional new tubes of rubber cement at your local bike shop
or possibly even your local auto supply shop.

You can also use a 20" BMX tube in a 19" trials tire. Just find the
fattest 20" tube you can (2.25" or bigger) so it is able to stretch
well.

Thanks, i usually (on bike) use the patch that uses rubber cement.
I shall just get myself a whole new kit as what patches i have left are
pretty old.
Thanks for the responses

--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

You can always tell which people have never had to spend their own
money. Replacing a tube just because of a flat is wasteful financially
and ecologically.

I don't know what gets carried in department stores over in Tasmania,
but I'd probably go to a bike shop anyway. Patch kits are cheap.

Note with a pinch flat that you may have more than one hole.

(I actually did a bike tour in Tasmania a few years back. Didn't get
any flats.)

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

tholub wrote:
You can always tell which people have never had to spend their own
money. Replacing a tube just because of a flat is wasteful financially
and ecologically.

I don't know what gets carried in department stores over in Tasmania,
but I'd probably go to a bike shop anyway. Patch kits are cheap.

Note with a pinch flat that you may have more than one hole.

(I actually did a bike tour in Tasmania a few years back. Didn't get
any flats.)

Yeah, i didnt see the point of replacing it for a tiny hole!
The bike shop will be my destination in 5 minutes
I checked my tube in a tub of water and only the one hole luckily (i
rode it home a bit of the way partially flat to get home quicker
Nice! How long were you down here for? What did you think?

--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

I just fixed a flat on my KH20 two hours ago, and it has a 20x2.125"
tube that came stock. So, if you do ever buy a tube, I would think you
could get one anywhere that carries BMX stuff.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I am constantly amazed at how willing people are to throw something away
that has such a easily fixable problem so they don't have to deal with
it. I had a tube with around 30 patches on it before I replaced it a
couple years ago. Not a singe patch leaked after many years and many
thousands of km of riding (bike)

The Sheldon Brown tutorial is good but to tell the truth I have not
used a proper bike patch in years. I use a chunk of an old inner-tube
(the thinner the better) and rubber cement applied to both the tube and
patch. As long as you rough up both and let the cement dry before
sticking together it works just as good as a proper bike patch. I have
not had a patch leak since I was 10ish (still had the little blue bike
)

If you have an old inner-tube laying around it can be used as LOTS of
patches in any shape or size you could possibly need and a 100ml tin of
rubber cement will cost you about as much as a patch kit with a 10ml
tube.

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com

Posture repairs JusticeZero Unicycling 5 October 30th 06 03:51 AM
Frame Repairs [email protected] Techniques 22 July 22nd 06 10:05 PM
Shoe repairs AndyMorris UK 11 May 18th 06 11:32 AM
most common repairs B Techniques 35 April 9th 05 09:28 PM
Puncture repairs failing Doki UK 68 June 19th 04 11:21 PM