# 1 enemy of cycling?

Old December 7th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Default # 1 enemy of cycling?

I am pretty sure it's text messaging. I can't recall a drive of 5
miles or more where I haven't seen at least one (and often several)
people completely distracted while writing or reading text messages.

How many cyclists will die before something is done?
Old December 7th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert[_11_]

"Anton Berlin" wrote in message
I am pretty sure it's text messaging. I can't recall a drive of 5
miles or more where I haven't seen at least one (and often several)
people completely distracted while writing or reading text messages.

How many cyclists will die before something is done?

On the driver side, it used to be stuff like cassette tapes. I remember a
stretch they called blood alley near Watsonville where 4 cyclists were
killed, two married couples, taken out by a girl in a SUV who said she just
looked down for a second to change her cassette music tape. Now, imagine the
added complexities, time and focus to fool with these toys.

Robert

Old December 7th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 09:59:55 -0800 (PST), Anton Berlin
wrote:

I am pretty sure it's text messaging. I can't recall a drive of 5
miles or more where I haven't seen at least one (and often several)
people completely distracted while writing or reading text messages.

How many cyclists will die before something is done?

Nothing will be done from cyclists dying. Sad to say, but it's true.
If there are more car-car accidents, then maybe....
Old December 7th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

wrote:

I am pretty sure it's text messaging. I can't recall a drive of 5
miles or more where I haven't seen at least one (and often several)
people completely distracted while writing or reading text messages.

How many cyclists will die before something is done?

Nothing will be done from cyclists dying. Sad to say, but it's true.
If there are more car-car accidents, then maybe....

There was a time when being pulled over for DUI meant the cops suggested
you get on home. And that was all. That was before MADD. When there's a
group called "Mothers Against Text Messaging", things will change.
Old December 8th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article , "Robert"
wrote:

"Anton Berlin" wrote in message
I am pretty sure it's text messaging. I can't recall a drive of 5
miles or more where I haven't seen at least one (and often several)
people completely distracted while writing or reading text messages.

How many cyclists will die before something is done?

On the driver side, it used to be stuff like cassette tapes. I remember a
stretch they called blood alley near Watsonville where 4 cyclists were
killed, two married couples, taken out by a girl in a SUV who said she just
looked down for a second to change her cassette music tape. Now, imagine the
added complexities, time and focus to fool with these toys.

"Blood Alley" was a section of US101 in south San Jose, wich has since been
converted into full on freeway. It used to be a simple highway with cross traffic.
The cyclists were killed on or near Watsonville Rd., as I recall, which is out near
Morgan Hill and Gilroy. The girl who did that used to work around the corner from
where I did.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old December 13th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

How many cyclists will die before something is done?

Car key blocks mobile phone use while driving
Dec 12 07:46 PM US/Eastern
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...ow_article= 1
Old December 13th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Philip Holman

wrote in message

How many cyclists will die before something is done?

Car key blocks mobile phone use while driving
Dec 12 07:46 PM US/Eastern
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...ow_article= 1

Marketing's goal is to to sell some gimmick that a two year old could
disable.
The stats show that traffic accidents per capita have been gradually
decreasing. While driver distraction is a significant contributor to
driving accidents it can't be pinned on any one distraction
......unfortunately. The people who allow themselves to be distracted
will not change even if all the main distraction culprits are banned.
These folk will always find something else.

The problem is all inside your head she said to me
Multi-tasking is easy when you drive from A to B
I'm here to help you with your struggle to achieve
Some of the ....... 50 ways to be distracted

Talk on the cell Nell
clean all your teeth Keith
brush out you hair Clare
and drive without care

Eat in your truck Chuck
don't ever give a f**k
Drink up your tea Lee
And don't even stop for a pee.

Phil H

Old December 15th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Dec 7, 11:06 pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article , "Robert"
wrote:

On the driver side, it used to be stuff like cassette tapes. I remember a
stretch they called blood alley near Watsonville where 4 cyclists were
killed, two married couples, taken out by a girl in a SUV who said she just
looked down for a second to change her cassette music tape. Now, imagine the
added complexities, time and focus to fool with these toys.

"Blood Alley" was a section of US101 in south San Jose, wich has since been
converted into full on freeway. It used to be a simple highway with cross traffic.
The cyclists were killed on or near Watsonville Rd., as I recall, which is out near
Morgan Hill and Gilroy. The girl who did that used to work around the corner from
where I did.

THe accident where 4 were killed while the girl was groping for
cassette tapes was on HW-152, between Watsonville and Gilroy (Hecker
Pass). I'm not sure exactly where it happened except I think I
remember it was on the Santa Clara County side. It could have been
down by Watsonville Rd., but iirc, that road intersection is pretty
much down (off) the hill and not up on the twisty sections.
Old December 15th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote:

[...]

I've both descended and climbed Hecker Pass several times including recently
and the road has been "improved" and USUALLY there's enough road for someone
to pass without problems on the way up. On the way down you wait until all
of the traffic, which seems to run in packs, goes through and then go.
Usually you can make it to the bottom and the wider side section before the
following traffic stream shows up.

Note that the alternate routes aren't any better or even possibly worse.

Old December 16th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Les Earnest

wrote:

[...]

I believe this was on Hecker Pass Highway between Watsonville Road and
Gilroy. The driver was a friend of the daughter of the owner of the
Fortino Winery and was driving one of their vehicles. That winery is
near the Hecker/Watsonville intersection and I would guess that this
incident cost them a bundle.

Strangely, even though the adolescent driver was grossly negligent she
didn't go to jail and didn't even have her license suspended. After all,
it was just an "accident" and cyclists are known to be sub-human. I
believe that she should have been sentenced to ride a bicycle for at
least a few years.

-Les Earnest