CVV retires from giro after crash

Old May 20th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default CVV retires from giro after crash

On May 11, 2:18*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 11, 1:35*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"bar" wrote in message

taken out by a teammate?

I'm hoping that it wasn't a really serious injury. He certainly looked to be
in a lot of pain with possibly a broken hip.

A couple of broken ribs and bruises.http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...rash-giro-link,...

The Tribune has this before Cycling News, Velonews, Daily Peloton,
Eurosport, etc....? *Sheesh.

Update from Velonews:

Vande Velde discovers more fractures

Vande Velde is recovering at his European base in Girona, Spain. His
team said that additional imaging has revealed "he sustained a total
of six fractures, including three vertebrae fractures (spinous
processes), a pelvic fracture and two rib fractures."

Earlier, the team said he had a total of three fractures, including he
ribs and pelvic bone break.

Team physician Prentice Steffen said discovering additional fractures
was common as more imaging is done.

“The good news is, we now know the extent of his injuries and are
working with him on his recovery. He just needs to take it day by
day.”

Vande Velde said he feels better every day.

“I understand that it is going to take a lot of work to come back from
this, but I’m feeling positive. It is too soon to say when I’ll be
racing again but I am incredibly motivated by my family, my team and
our supporters.”

I wonder how long he's going to be out? Poor *******.