Carbon forks and aheadset

Old September 1st 03, 09:54 AM
GaryB

Default Carbon forks and aheadset

Hi folks, I'm new as far as this ng is concerned and I'm returning to
cycling after a break of 4 years.
One thing I've noticed since my comeback is that almost everyone appears to
have switched to carbon forks and the 'aheadset' design of stem.
I'm going to restore my columbus max frameset over the winter months and i
was toying with the idea of switching to carbon forks. The main reason is
that the max forks are really unforgiving and after a couple of hours are
pretty uncomfortable.

I like like the look and price of the itm snyper forks, anyone had any
experience with them?
I remember reading several years ago that carbon forks are prone to breaking
around the crown without warning and aheadset stems flex more than quill
equivalents, any comments on this?

I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so I'm not
a small rider unfortunately so would this be too much strain for the average
carbon fork?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Gary.

---

Old September 1st 03, 11:40 AM
Arthur Clune

GaryB wrote:
: was toying with the idea of switching to carbon forks. The main reason is
: that the max forks are really unforgiving and after a couple of hours are
: pretty uncomfortable.

Can do, but I wouldn't expect a huge amount of difference.

: I remember reading several years ago that carbon forks are prone to breaking
: around the crown without warning and aheadset stems flex more than quill
: equivalents, any comments on this?

The former problem is solved now. As for the latter, new ahead stems are
less flexible than quill stems.

: I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so I'm not
: a small rider unfortunately so would this be too much strain for the average
: carbon fork?

No. THough if I were you I'd avoid the very lightest models.

Arthur

: ---

Old September 1st 03, 01:01 PM
Pete Biggs

GaryB wrote:
Hi folks, I'm new as far as this ng is concerned and I'm returning to
cycling after a break of 4 years.
One thing I've noticed since my comeback is that almost everyone
appears to have switched to carbon forks and the 'aheadset' design of
stem.
I'm going to restore my columbus max frameset over the winter months
and i was toying with the idea of switching to carbon forks. The main
reason is that the max forks are really unforgiving and after a
couple of hours are pretty uncomfortable.

Carbon forks do have a damping effect but the tyres still make far more
difference.

I like like the look and price of the itm snyper forks, anyone had any
experience with them?

Yes, I've got those. I reckon they're good value for money and are
probably stronger than some of the more lightweight forks around. I can't
personally directly compare them to other makes & models, though, because
they're my first carbons.

I remember reading several years ago that carbon forks are prone to
breaking around the crown without warning

I think that's less likely with forks with aluminium crowns - which the
Snyper has - and also probably only a very rare problem with the latest
quality all-carbon forks.

and aheadset stems flex
more than quill equivalents

I believe it's the other way around. The diameter of the stem is larger
and it clamps to the /outside/ of the steerer - so the stem itself must be
stiffer, and so much so that it makes up for any extra flex from the
longer steerer.

I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so
I'm not a small rider unfortunately so would this be too much strain
for the average carbon fork?

1" all carbon (ie. with 1" carbon steerer tube and crown as well as
blades) would probably be unwise. 1 1/8" (if your head tube takes that
size) all carbon might be ok (?). I've read convincing arguments that
heavier than average riders should opt for cromo steel steerers - more
reliable in general and flex less under braking. You can get carbon forks
with these. ...I don't know whether 15 stone qualifies.

Note. ITM seems to have renamed the Synper range to Spider - and also
have other models that seem to have the same or very similar
specifications - but there will still be some Synpers on the market.
Maybe they thought the name was distasteful after the recent incidents in
the States (despite the funny spelling)? ...The forks even have a gun
sight logo on them! :-)

~PB

Old September 1st 03, 04:59 PM
GaryB

Thanks for your replies and help:

"Pete Biggs"

I like like the look and price of the itm snyper forks, anyone had any
experience with them?

Yes, I've got those. I reckon they're good value for money and are
probably stronger than some of the more lightweight forks around. I can't
personally directly compare them to other makes & models, though, because
they're my first carbons.

Thanks, they sound like they'll do for me :-)

I'm 15 stone at the moment (my old racing weightwas 12 1/2 stone) so
I'm not a small rider unfortunately so would this be too much strain
for the average carbon fork?

1" all carbon (ie. with 1" carbon steerer tube and crown as well as
blades) would probably be unwise. 1 1/8" (if your head tube takes that
size) all carbon might be ok (?). I've read convincing arguments that
heavier than average riders should opt for cromo steel steerers - more
reliable in general and flex less under braking. You can get carbon forks
with these. ...I don't know whether 15 stone qualifies.

My frame takes 1" so I was already convinced that all carbon was a bit risky
with my current mass :-)

I've not come across any with cromo steerers yet but I think the ITM
spider/snypers will do the trick. Another reason for changing the fork was
so that i could use a 90 deg ahead stem to raise the front end position a
little. The frame's an excellent handler and very stiff, I'd love to give it
a new lease of life.

cheers,
Gary.

---