Road Cycling Lake Tahoe recommendations?

Old February 18th 05, 05:54 PM
Terry Morse

Someone wrote:

Weather is the biggest question here in Tahoe in April. Traffic is
moderate by then as the winter tourons are gone and the summer ones
haven't arrived yet.

Well, past performance is no prediction of the future. But...

I rode the "Luther Loop" early last April, because the skiing
conditions were so crummy. The weather was sunny and in the 50s, but
there was a gale force wind over Luther Pass. That was fun, I almost
got blown over a couple of times. They were holding trucks over Echo
Summit because of the wind. There was also lots of sand on the
roads, so descending was a little touchy. The sand also kept getting
blown into my face. But the tailwind in Carson Valley was amazing. I
was cruising at 35 mph.

I'm actually staying at the top of Kingsbury Grade right now. Even
though I brought my bike on this trip, the weather hasn't
cooperated. On the plus side, the skiing has been very good.
Old February 22nd 05, 01:05 AM
Chris Neary

Finally, let me add that there is an outstanding mountain bike trail
around the hills that rim Lake Tahoe. It's called the Rim Trail and
the local forest service can give you all the info.

I second that one, a pilgrimage every mountain biker should make.

Matt O.

Two things:

1) I agree, a really neat trail

2) The year I did it, which was not an especially snowy year, we still had a
few snow portages in July.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old February 23rd 05, 05:52 AM
-RB

Rick

I'm not sure but I don't think they open the road from south of Emerald
Bay to Granliboken(sp?) if there is a good winter snow. I think it
very well could be closed until May if the snow was good.

I like riding the whole primeter of the lake but always do it in
September. Traffic has never been an issue for me. Riding down
Highway 50 is real too fun since they replaced all the drain grates to
road level. However, the last time I rode Tahoe, a rather large bear
crossed the road in front of me, about 500 yards ahead on a long
descent somewhere before Tahoe City. When I first saw it my thought
was, "Wow, that's a big dog!" Then I could see clearly what it was. I
stopped at the place it crossed. Took a look for it and found it was
sitting up on the hillside taking a breather and watching me. It soon
trotted away. Very exciting place to ride.

-RB

Old February 23rd 05, 06:48 PM
Booker C. Bense