What defines a cyclepath.

Old November 12th 04, 10:19 PM
MartinM

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:59:08 -0000, "MartinM"
wrote:

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:04:29 GMT, "Andy Howes"
wrote:

If it is circular then the path MUST be used. If the sign is

rectangular
then it is merely advising one of the presence of a cycle path that

MAY
be
used.

If it is circular then the path MUST NOT be used by motor vehicles.
Cyclists can choose to use it al will.

I've just had to point that out to the local cycling policeman (who

does
NOT
use the mandatory ones !).

Ahhh... I know the sort of person you are - leaning out of car
windows, "Gerr off moi road".

AH
Driving Instructor

Not one who knows the rules of the road, then.

the (ahem) last time I looked at the HC it categorised signs by shape and
colour:

Red triangle- Warning
Red circle Prohibition
Blue circle Compulsion

and blue circle bike lanes were compulsory (but that was along time ago)

So is a red triangle containing a bicycle symbol a warning to cyclists
or a warning to motorists that bicycles may be around?

a warning to motorists e.g. on approaching NCN crossings, much like the
children and deer ones. (the same signs are now recommended for warning of
TTs as well)

Old November 12th 04, 10:23 PM
James Annan

MartinM wrote:

the (ahem) last time I looked at the HC it categorised signs by shape and
colour:

Red triangle- Warning
Red circle Prohibition
Blue circle Compulsion

and blue circle bike lanes were compulsory (but that was along time ago)

If you mean this:
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.shtml

then the meaning (as described he
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs04.shtml) is of course "pedal cycles
only", not "every pedal cycle must use this route"

James
by treading on the toes of giants.
Old November 12th 04, 10:27 PM
David Hansen

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:04:29 GMT someone who may be "Andy Howes"
wrote this:-

One point you might have overlooked is the sign designating the cycle path.

If it is circular then the path MUST be used.

Incorrect.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs04.shtml

Which part of, "Route to be used by pedal cycles only", do you have
difficulty understanding?

Driving Instructor

Not a very good driving instructor.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old November 13th 04, 08:41 AM
Richard Bates

wrote:

One point you might have overlooked is the sign designating the cycle path.

If it is circular then the path MUST be used. If the sign is rectangular
then it is merely advising one of the presence of a cycle path that MAY be
used.

According to your logic, the sign indicating a one-way-street (as
opposed to "Ahead Only") is also merely advisory, and I can if I so
wish travel in both directions.

Do you teach your pupils this too?

Do we need to inform you of the difference between the signs for "No
Vehicles" and "No Motor Vehicles", or are you okay on this one?

YAPSAICMFP

ps Thank god the sign for "Hump Bridge" isn't in a circle!

--
If, as Einstein said, space is curved and occupies ten
dimensions including time; How can you be certain which
Old November 13th 04, 09:14 AM
MartinM

wrote:

One point you might have overlooked is the sign designating the cycle

path.

If it is circular then the path MUST be used. If the sign is rectangular
then it is merely advising one of the presence of a cycle path that MAY

be
used.

According to your logic, the sign indicating a one-way-street (as
opposed to "Ahead Only") is also merely advisory, and I can if I so
wish travel in both directions.

Do you teach your pupils this too?

Do we need to inform you of the difference between the signs for "No
Vehicles" and "No Motor Vehicles", or are you okay on this one?

YAPSAICMFP

ps Thank god the sign for "Hump Bridge" isn't in a circle!

confused? you will be;

http://www.cyclemaps.org.uk/sites/lbbd/signs/

CYCLE LANES
These can be either mandatory or advisory.
Mandatory lanes are lanes approved and designed as compulsory for cyclists.
The road markings are distinctively solid white lines, whereas advisory
cycle lanes are marked with broken white lines. On advisory lanes other road
users can drive into them if necessary and may be allowed to park in them at
certain times. As there is a lot of parking in cycle lanes in the Borough,
consideration is being given to introducing appropriate waiting and loading
restrictions where necessary.

The existing red surface colour is to be changed to a green surface colour
throughout the Borough, to distinguish cycle lanes from bus lanes, as part
of a London wide approach

I know it mentions lanes and keeps the HC sign definitions but does this
mean you are not allowed out of the green stripe? what about when it is used
as a car park?

Old November 13th 04, 09:20 AM
Richard Bates

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:19:13 -0000, "MartinM"
wrote:

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
.. .
So is a red triangle containing a bicycle symbol a warning to cyclists
or a warning to motorists that bicycles may be around?

a warning to motorists e.g. on approaching NCN crossings, much like the
children and deer ones. (the same signs are now recommended for warning of
TTs as well)

It is of course also a warning to on-road cyclists that they may be
about to meet some more cyclists using a psyclepath ahead. These
"pathogens" may be suddenly surprised by the sudden ending of their
path in an obscure and dangerous place that there may be a risk of
collision.

Old November 13th 04, 09:49 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Mandatory lanes are lanes approved and designed as compulsory for cyclists.

Then they got it wrong, bonnie lad. They are *not* compulsory in terms of
cyclists must use them they are compulsory in terms that they are only for
cyclists. There's a *huge* difference...

perhaps you think all motorists should use motorwarys where they are present???

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 13th 04, 09:49 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"MartinM" typed

CYCLE LANES
These can be either mandatory or advisory.
Mandatory lanes are lanes approved and designed as compulsory for cyclists.

As other posters have pointed out, no lane is compulsory for cyclists
unless cycling is prohibited in the road.

The road markings are distinctively solid white lines,

This *just* means non-cyclists _must_ keep out...

whereas advisory
cycle lanes are marked with broken white lines. On advisory lanes other road
users can drive into them if necessary and may be allowed to park in them at
certain times. As there is a lot of parking in cycle lanes in the Borough,
consideration is being given to introducing appropriate waiting and loading
restrictions where necessary.

The existing red surface colour is to be changed to a green surface colour
throughout the Borough, to distinguish cycle lanes from bus lanes, as part
of a London wide approach

I know it mentions lanes and keeps the HC sign definitions but does this
mean you are not allowed out of the green stripe?

Nay, nay and three times nay!

what about when it is used as a car park?

irony
It is quite in order to cycle over the tops of parked cars when they
obstruct your legitimate use of a cycle lane.
irony

Quite. You are often better off in the main carriageway.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 13th 04, 09:52 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

the (ahem) last time I looked at the HC it categorised signs by shape and
colour:

Red triangle- Warning
Red circle Prohibition
Blue circle Compulsion

and blue circle bike lanes were compulsory (but that was along time ago)

Please check again - the blue circle cycle lanes path is that it is a cycle
path compulsory for cycle *use* only and for motor vehicles & peds to not use
the path. Which is completely different to cyclists being required to use the
path, which they are not.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 13th 04, 10:09 AM
MartinM

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
the (ahem) last time I looked at the HC it categorised signs by shape and
colour:

Red triangle- Warning
Red circle Prohibition
Blue circle Compulsion

and blue circle bike lanes were compulsory (but that was along time ago)

Please check again - the blue circle cycle lanes path is that it is a

cycle
path compulsory for cycle *use* only and for motor vehicles & peds to not

use
the path. Which is completely different to cyclists being required to use

the
path, which they are not.

Yes I know that but certainly early 80's they were compulsory, which I think
is where the cager line "get on the psyclepath where you are supposed to be"
comes from.

perhaps you think all motorists should use motorways where they are
present???

it would certainly leave the other roads with less traffic, in fact almost
all A road signs now direct drivers via the motorways.

The DoT seems to; those gizmo signs never actaully advise drivers to leave
at the next junction when there is a 12 mile tailback coming up. My car's
bible is a map of the M25 with all the parallel roads