What defines a cyclepath.

Old November 13th 04, 02:57 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Gonzalez typed

Is that the 1880s? Cyclepaths haven't been compulsory in the UK in my
lifetime.

Nor mine. CTC fought long and hard on that one.

Possibly excepting the Severn Bridge cycle path - although you could
go the long way round or pop your bike on the train and go under the
water.

Yebbut the adjacent road is a motorway, innit?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 13th 04, 03:25 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

MartinM wrote:

I'm going back to the 70's here when the only ones that existed were eg the
one on the Severn Bridge, and alongside A roads like the A23 and A217, but I
remember the blue circle and in those days that meant compulsory, eg mimimum
speed signs (do you still see them?)

I'm with the others: I don't think it ever was compulsory, blue circular
sign notwithstanding.

--
Guy
Old November 13th 04, 08:43 PM
MartinM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
news:1gn741k.1nnixz51uznttrN%spamdump@chapmancentr al.com...
MartinM wrote:

I'm going back to the 70's here when the only ones that existed were eg

the
one on the Severn Bridge, and alongside A roads like the A23 and A217,

but I
remember the blue circle and in those days that meant compulsory, eg

mimimum
speed signs (do you still see them?)

I'm with the others: I don't think it ever was compulsory, blue circular
sign notwithstanding.

well unless I can find the copy of the HC I had when I was taking my driving
test (1979) we will never know

Old November 13th 04, 09:45 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

MartinM wrote:

unless I can find the copy of the HC I had when I was taking my driving
test (1979) we will never know

It is just possible I still have one of that vintage.

--
Guy
Old November 13th 04, 09:56 PM
MartinM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
news:1gn7kbt.vpascf13jlyeeN%spamdump@chapmancentra l.com...
MartinM wrote:

unless I can find the copy of the HC I had when I was taking my driving
test (1979) we will never know

It is just possible I still have one of that vintage.

but they were for mopeds as well IIRC so no relationship to the current
beast; presumably scrapped after the advent of FS1E's, Fantics and other 50
mph buzz-bombs.

Old November 13th 04, 10:07 PM
Paul Rudin

MartinM wrote:

I'm going back to the 70's here when the only ones that existed were eg

the
one on the Severn Bridge, and alongside A roads like the A23 and A217,

but I
remember the blue circle and in those days that meant compulsory, eg

mimimum
speed signs (do you still see them?)

I'm with the others: I don't think it ever was compulsory, blue circular
sign notwithstanding.

well unless I can find the copy of the HC I had when I was taking my driving
test (1979) we will never know

No - we know already. It's only you that's entertaining this fiction.

Old November 13th 04, 11:04 PM
MartinM

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:43:57 -0000, "MartinM"
wrote:

I'm with the others: I don't think it ever was compulsory, blue

circular
sign notwithstanding.

well unless I can find the copy of the HC I had when I was taking my

driving
test (1979) we will never know

The rest of us know.

I recently discovered on this NG that it is all too easy to hold a
belief for a number of years, convinced there was proof of the truth,
but then be proven wrong.

I thought that the law relating to bicycles using pavements was
restricted to bicycles with wheels over a certain diameter. I was
shown to be wrong in this very newsgroup.

The distinct lack of evidence that there is such a thing as a
compulsory cycle path for cyclists suggests that such compulsion to
use cycle paths never existed.

but they were not real cycle paths in the current sense

until I read a thread about this on urc some months ago I thought that they
remained compulsory and that I was breaking the law by ignoring most of them

Old November 13th 04, 11:23 PM
richard

Paul Rudin wrote:
['compulsory' cycle paths]
No - we know already. It's only you that's entertaining this fiction.

Sadly, not just him but quite a few other motorists.

R.
Old November 14th 04, 07:07 AM
Paul Rudin

richard writes:

Paul Rudin wrote:
['compulsory' cycle paths]
No - we know already. It's only you that's entertaining this fiction.

Sadly, not just him but quite a few other motorists.

Well - yes, I realise that there are many road users who are almost
completely ignorant of the contents of the HC and various relevant
pieces of legislation. I rather meant "only you amongst those
contributing to this thread".
Old November 14th 04, 09:33 AM
David Hansen

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:23:07 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be richard
wrote this:-

Sadly, not just him but quite a few other motorists.

Including Andy Howes, Driving Instructor, Leicester, who has been
rather quiet since making his assertion.

If he is a member of one of the large groups of driving instructor,
which should be checkable in the Yellow Pages, then perhaps someone
could have a word with them and invite them to remind "their"
instructors on this point.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.