What defines a cyclepath.

Old November 14th 04, 09:36 AM
David Hansen

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:16:58 +0000 someone who may be Gonzalez
wrote this:-

Bicycles are banned from using motorways and a limited number of A
roads (why is unclear),

In the case of the A90 the "cycle friendly" City of Edinburgh
Council wishes to speed up motor vehicle journeys and wants to get
those dammed cyclists out of the way and onto the "alternative"
path.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old November 14th 04, 10:44 AM
John Pitcock

I too have been confused by the blue circular sign with a white bike.
As a rule blue circle signs indicate compulsion (ie the left turn only
arrow).

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:59:08 -0000, "MartinM"
wrote:

"Gonzalez" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:04:29 GMT, "Andy Howes"
wrote:

If it is circular then the path MUST be used. If the sign is

rectangular
then it is merely advising one of the presence of a cycle path that

MAY
be
used.

If it is circular then the path MUST NOT be used by motor vehicles.
Cyclists can choose to use it al will.

I've just had to point that out to the local cycling policeman (who

does
NOT
use the mandatory ones !).

Ahhh... I know the sort of person you are - leaning out of car
windows, "Gerr off moi road".

AH
Driving Instructor

Not one who knows the rules of the road, then.

the (ahem) last time I looked at the HC it categorised signs by shape and
colour:

Red triangle- Warning
Red circle Prohibition
Blue circle Compulsion

and blue circle bike lanes were compulsory (but that was along time ago)

So is a red triangle containing a bicycle symbol a warning to cyclists
or a warning to motorists that bicycles may be around?

It is compulsory that motorists stay out of blue circle cycle lanes.

Old November 14th 04, 11:09 AM
John Pitcock

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

Maybe this is where the confusion started.

It isn't in my 1959 edition.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
news:1gn7kbt.vpascf13jlyeeN%spamdump@chapmancentra l.com...
MartinM wrote:

unless I can find the copy of the HC I had when I was taking my driving
test (1979) we will never know

It is just possible I still have one of that vintage.

--
Guy

Old November 14th 04, 11:33 AM
MartinM

John Pitcock (nospam) wrote:
I too have been confused by the blue circular sign with a white bike.
As a rule blue circle signs indicate compulsion (ie the left turn

only
arrow).

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but

the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

Thanks for that; knew I wasn't imagining it.

Old November 14th 04, 12:17 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

John Pitcock wrote:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

And it is still a mandatory cycle lane - but the meaning of the word
compulsory / mandatory is not necessarily as represented.

--
Guy
Old November 14th 04, 12:30 PM
MartinM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
John Pitcock wrote:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory"

but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

And it is still a mandatory cycle lane - but the meaning of the word
compulsory / mandatory is not necessarily as represented.

but the blue circle means compulsory for someone or other: if it meant
no motor vehicles it would have the Evil Knevil motorbike flying over a
car sign instead of a bicycle. I reckon it's a typo.

Old November 14th 04, 01:23 PM
Ian Smith

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:04:29 GMT, Andy Howes wrote:
One point you might have overlooked is the sign designating the cycle path.

If it is circular then the path MUST be used. If the sign is rectangular
then it is merely advising one of the presence of a cycle path that MAY be
used.

I've just had to point that out to the local cycling policeman (who does NOT
use the mandatory ones !).

AH
Driving Instructor

But evidently woefully ignorant about the law as it pertains to at
least one other class of road-user. I hope you don't tell your
trainees the same sort of ******** you're spouting here.

Is there sonme sort of national register of driving instructors? Any
chance of providing us with your identification so we can get your
qualification rescinded, or at the very least go through a retest?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old November 14th 04, 01:26 PM
Ian Smith

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:09:40 -0000, MartinM wrote:

Yes I know that but certainly early 80's they were compulsory, which I think
is where the cager line "get on the psyclepath where you are supposed to be"
comes from.

No, they were not.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old November 14th 04, 01:37 PM
James Annan

MartinM wrote:
John Pitcock (nospam) wrote:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but

the

word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

Thanks for that; knew I wasn't imagining it.

I suspect that is a misleading description that was quickly corrected
for subsequent editions, rather than an accurate description of the law
(which law?) as it stood at the time.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.
Old November 14th 04, 01:38 PM
MartinM

John Pitcock (nospam) wrote:
My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but

the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

Maybe this is where the confusion started.

It isn't in my 1959 edition.

I think that is because the lanes in question did not exist; if you
look along the A217 around Sutton you may still see remnants of one,
now used as parking spaces.