What defines a cyclepath.

Old November 14th 04, 03:32 PM
Danny Colyer

John Pitcock wrote:
My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

Maybe this is where the confusion started.

This was before I was born, so I obviously wasn't looking into the
detail of the law back then, but I'd be surprised if it's actually
changed. "Compulsory" now means that it is compulsory for other classes
of vehicle to stay out, not for cycles to stay in. I suspect it meant
the same 32 years ago. I can certainly see where the confusion would
come from, though.

The latest legislation I could find on this was the 2002 Traffic Sign
Regulations:
URL:http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm
which clearly state that the sign refers to a "Route for use by pedal
cycles only":
URL:http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113ab.gif

Incidentally, the same document defines a "cycle lane" and a "cycle
track", but not a "cycle path". I shall leave it as an exercise for the
interested reader to follow the definitions through ;-)

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old November 14th 04, 03:35 PM
MartinM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
MartinM wrote:

IIRC cordoned off lanes with a kerb. Never actually
used one but saw them from the car on the way up to London.

A40?

no A217, but would not be surprised if A40 had them as well as it was
built in the age of "car is king"
(BTW I now use the cycle track alongside it)

Old November 14th 04, 03:42 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Danny Colyer wrote:

This was before I was born, so I obviously wasn't looking into the
detail of the law back then, but I'd be surprised if it's actually
changed.

Hmmm. It's probably due to some sort of confusion. There were some
cycle lanes set up shortly after the war, IIRC, whch were compulsory,
but I don't know that the blue and white sign ever applied to them. But
I know a man who does, as they say, and a question will be fired off as
soon as I get home.

--
Guy
Old November 14th 04, 03:42 PM
MartinM

Please. "Whinger"... not "****". Although the thread was almost enough
to make me want to write a reply.

you're a braver man than I ;-)
I think the line about riding motorbikes on the pavement is also very
telling.

Old November 14th 04, 07:33 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:09:51 GMT, "John Pitcock"
wrote in message
:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

According to John Franklin the round sign used to mean compulsory and
the rectangular sign advisory. *The meaning was changed in the late
70s or early 80s. The round sign retains its compulsory meaning in
most other countries.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 14th 04, 09:15 PM
MartinM

wrote in message
:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory" but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

According to John Franklin the round sign used to mean compulsory and
the rectangular sign advisory. The meaning was changed in the late
70s or early 80s. The round sign retains its compulsory meaning in
most other countries.

Finland being one (the only other reference I could find to it)

Old November 15th 04, 10:31 AM
MartinM

wrote in message
:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory"

but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

According to John Franklin the round sign used to mean compulsory and
the rectangular sign advisory. The meaning was changed in the late
70s or early 80s. The round sign retains its compulsory meaning in
most other countries.

Thank You
stoney silence from all the other posters who told me I was talking
b****cks I see ;-)

Old November 15th 04, 12:07 PM
Paul Rudin

wrote in message
:

My 1972 edition of the Highway Code says "Cycle lane, compulsory"

but the
word "compulsory" hasn't been in subsequent editions.

According to John Franklin the round sign used to mean compulsory and
the rectangular sign advisory. The meaning was changed in the late
70s or early 80s. The round sign retains its compulsory meaning in
most other countries.

Thank You
stoney silence from all the other posters who told me I was talking
b****cks I see ;-)

That's because there's nothing, so far, demonstrating otherwise...

I'll be hapy to apologise if someone can point to any kind of
reasonably authorative source demostrating that there was ever
compulsion on cylists to use cycle lanes. Describing something as
"compulsory" does not do so. Compare with the current situation where
we have "mandatory" cycle lanes - it is _not_ mandatory for cyclists
to use them, rather for motorists not to.