map sites for bike routes

Old February 9th 05, 11:51 PM

In article ,
Mike Rice wrote:
A great resource is the Delorme Gazetteer for your state of choice.

These books are just reprints of USGS topo maps. Some of the maps are
decades out-of-date. While the mountains have not changed, the road
and trail data is unreliable.
Old February 18th 05, 04:41 AM
Ron Wallenfang

Out of date maps are an endemic problem. I've had them with the Universal
state maps I get from Amoco Motor Club, and with Michelin's maps of Europe,
among others. On my long ride last spring, I climbed a 500 foot hill in NY
state, and on flagging down an auto, found I should have turned in the town
I had just left - The map hadn't been updated! In Pawtucket, RI, US 1 just
plain disappeared. On an earlier trip, we had to hitch a ride over the
bridge from Windsor to Detroit, having been falsely advised by the map that
bikes could use the bridge. And of course the maps don't show detours for
construction or other activity.

Old February 24th 05, 05:44 PM
Veloise

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
Out of date maps are an endemic problem. I've had them with the

Universal
state maps I get from Amoco Motor Club, and with Michelin's maps of

Europe,
among others....On an earlier trip, we had to hitch a ride over the
bridge from Windsor to Detroit, having been falsely advised by the

map that
bikes could use the bridge. And of course the maps don't show

detours for
construction or other activity.

Ambassador Bridge sidewalk has been closed to non-motorized use for
probably 15 years. I recall my brother rode across it on a Wolverine
ride, but that was in the early 70's.

Asking in a NG is a good thing. Someone will know...

--Karen M.
who's bike-hitched across Chesapeake Bay and the Mackinac bridges