Us 41 bricge over Ohio River

Old February 20th 05, 02:26 AM
Brian E

Default Us 41 bricge over Ohio River

The bridge over the Ohio at that point is a twin span. I don't believe the
northbound span has a walkway (if it does it's very narrow). The southbound
span does have a sidewalk. I would not recommend that one ride his or her
bike across either bridge as the lanes are narrow and drivers in this area
do not expect to see cyclists (and even when they see you they often don't
respect the cyclist's right to exist). I would plan to walk across. HTH!

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
Is there a pedestrian or bike area on this bridge?

Old February 21st 05, 02:49 AM
Mark Leuck

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
Is there a pedestrian or bike area on this bridge?

I don't know if this is any help but here are pictures of the bridge

http://postcards.evansville.net/NearEvan/near1.html

This might be a better view

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg377a...1%20bridge.jpg

I'd rather try 231 just a few miles east or 121 into Owensboro, I don't know
anything about those bridges but they might be far less crowded

Old February 26th 05, 03:17 AM
Ron Wallenfang

I have some recollection of crossing that bridge about 10 or so years ago
while I was on a business trip to Evansville. About all I remember is that
it was an old bridge with a poor surface as of that time.

I hope to be somewhere in that vicinity this spring on my return trip to
Milwaukee from Savannah GA, and am still considering alternative routes
north from Huntsville, AL. Maybe 231 or 431, and maybe switching to 41
north of Nashville. There are various pros and cons to the different
routes. If you're not going on your trip until late summer or early fall,
look for a trip report posting that will contain any route comments I have.

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:49:53 -0600, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a pedestrian or bike area on this bridge?

I don't know if this is any help but here are pictures of the bridge

Thanks, this confirms what I thought I remembered...looks like no
shoulder on this bridge. My thoughts are leaning towards crossing
southbound into Kentucky at Cannelton and then wind southward to
Mammoth Cave. I have family 70 miles west of Mammoth cave on Kentucky
70, and a little further (anothre 25 or 30 miles) in Madisonville and
a friend 25 miles further west on 70. So a return crossing on
northbound 41 would be nice. But I think I'll be checking out
Owensboro for the return trip. US 231 crosses at Owensboro, and passes
within mile from my home here in Lafayette, Indiana.

Can you confirm a sidewalk on the southbound span of the 41 bridge?

I'm not making this ride until the weeks before and after Labor Day,
but the planning is fun.

Mike