Is this the next "MA-2" rim?

Old May 9th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Is this the next "MA-2" rim?

On May 9, 1:24 pm, Victor Kan wrote:
On May 9, 12:42 pm, peter wrote:

I'm in the market for a new 700c rim and would appreciate any more
feedback on the the CR18 (or other models) in that size. In
particular whether they share the easy tire-changing characteristic
that I've found in the 451 (20") size.

The Alex R390 recommended by landotter has been easy for tool-free
tire/tube changes, at least with a Continental Ultra 3000 kevlar
beaded tire. The socketed construction sure made for easier lacing.

I don't recall the Salsa Delgado also mentioned by landotter being
socketed when I built a 559/26" wheel with one mated to an ENO
eccentric hub. I suppose their 622/700c version might be different.

My bad, it's just eyeletted. But it's no MA3, so worry not!
Old May 9th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
bfd wrote:

OK, many of you lament about the dismissal of the vaulted Mavic MA-2
rim. So, what to do? Ride old Mavic MA40s? Maybe.

Well, has anybody tried the Sun CR18 polished rim? Its a silver
polish rim (like MA-2), double eyelets (another MA-2 favorite), and
has a list weight of 460g (again, about the same as a....say
it....MA-2), Finally, the price is very reasonable as it retails for
$36 each.

My CR-18 rims have single eyelets, not sockets "or "double eyelets."

The one major difference is the Sun CR18 has a width of 22.5mm; in
contrast, the MA-2 was listed as only 20.3 mm wide. Still, with the
demise of the MA-2, this may be *the* replacement.

My experience with them has been positive so far, but I probably have
less than 3,000 miles on them. That said, the Suns have already lasted
longer than Mavic's Open Pros did before those cracked, which in turn
lasted longer than the Cosmic Experts I once had.

I got 11 years and 30,000+ miles out of a Sun CR-16 on the rear wheel,
which appears to be a very similar extrusion but without any eyelets,
before that one cracked at two spoke holes. The front rim is still
fine. The CR-16 had a reinforcing rib that ran along the spoke holes.

Anyway, these are the rims I have been using to replace non-700C rims
although I do still have a small stock of MA-2 rims for my 700C bikes.
Old May 9th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Gary Young wrote:

On Fri, 09 May 2008 08:45:18 -0700, bfd wrote:

OK, many of you lament about the dismissal of the vaulted Mavic MA-2
rim. So, what to do? Ride old Mavic MA40s? Maybe.

Well, has anybody tried the Sun CR18 polished rim? Its a silver polish
rim (like MA-2), double eyelets (another MA-2 favorite), and has a list
weight of 460g (again, about the same as a....say it....MA-2), Finally,
the price is very reasonable as it retails for $36 each.

I'm a big fan of the CR-18, but I don't think it's really comparable to
the MA-2. It uses "triple-box" construction for extra strength instead of
sockets (i.e., it's only single-eyelet). I've never weighed one, but from
what I've read, the 700C size weighs more than 550 grams.

I weighed a 630 CR-18: 562 gram.
Proportionately a 622 CR-18 would weigh 555 gram.
These are excellent rims.

--
Michael Press
Old May 10th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On May 9, 11:09*am, jim wrote:

My polished 700C CR-18 rear rim has been abused for more than 5 years
and is finally starting fail along the braking area.

Hmmm... when mine started to fail, it failed only a few miles later:
http://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/...s/rites042.htm

The CR-18 is a nice rim, but somewhat wider than a MA-2. I think the
Sun M13 II is closer to a MA-2:
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/...item=01-124160
but still no double eyelets, dammit.

Jeff

Old May 10th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

bfd wrote:
OK, many of you lament about the dismissal of the vaulted Mavic MA-2
rim. So, what to do? Ride old Mavic MA40s? Maybe.

Well, has anybody tried the Sun CR18 polished rim? Its a silver polish
rim (like MA-2), double eyelets (another MA-2 favorite), and has a
list weight of 460g (again, about the same as a....say it....MA-2),
Finally, the price is very reasonable as it retails for $36 each.

The one major difference is the Sun CR18 has a width of 22.5mm; in
contrast, the MA-2 was listed as only 20.3 mm wide. Still, with the
demise of the MA-2, this may be *the* replacement.

For more check out Velo Orange:
http://www.velo-orange.com/suncrporim.html

Or go directly to Sun's website (note, the rim comes in both black and
silver color):

http://www.sun-ringle.com/contentpages/road/rims.php5

Note, Sun also has a slightly lighter version (405g) called the
Assault that also comes polished.

So, what do you think, do the Sun rims compare?

I built up a set of 26" CR18s at Christmas (by lamplight, in a
shed...don't ask). I thought they were a bit lacking in lateral
stiffness, making them sensitive to tiny spoke adjustments compared to
my usual DT rims, but good value for money.

The 22.5mm width was important because it exactly matched a set of Araya
rims that the bike already had, meaning easy wheel swaps for
road/offroad use.
Old May 10th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 9, 9:45*am, bfd wrote:
[...]

Well, it's been a while since I've built a MA-2, but I have recently
built a few CR-18s, onto fixie hubs and they aren't bad. Not
particularly flat and rund outta the box and they seem rather 'soft'
while building but all in all, not a bad $40 or so rim with double
eyelets. Their width can make for some difficulty seating narrow tires
tho. Much easier with 28+ width tires.
Old May 10th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

JeffWills wrote:
On May 9, 11:09�am, jim wrote:
My polished 700C CR-18 rear rim has been abused for more than 5 years
and is finally starting fail along the braking area.

Hmmm... when mine started to fail, it failed only a few miles later:
http://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/...s/rites042.htm

The CR-18 is a nice rim, but somewhat wider than a MA-2. I think the
Sun M13 II is closer to a MA-2:
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/...item=01-124160
but still no double eyelets, dammit.

Jeff

you don't "need" double eyelets. it's jobstian myth and lore that they
provide any significant support.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/121453841/

look how thin that upper web is compared to the main rim bed.

btw, there's nothing particularly great about ma2's either. their low
profile makes them prone to flat-spotting. if you're looking for
alternative rims, and insisting on "traditional" but non-mavic, go with
something like ambrosio.