Comments on Montague Folder

Old January 18th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
San Jose

Default Comments on Montague Folder

Hi:

I'm interested in comments on the Montague as a bike to take in a camper.
I've had a Bike Friday and a Brompton. Great bikes but I like the bigger
tires of the Montagure I think. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks.
Bob

Old January 19th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

--

I don't own one. I Googled a couple years ago to find people's
opinions of them. Most seemed to agree that the frame itself was

Tom
Old January 19th 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

San Jose wrote:
Hi:

I'm interested in comments on the Montague as a bike to take in a camper.
I've had a Bike Friday and a Brompton. Great bikes but I like the bigger
tires of the Montagure I think. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks.
Bob

I have one of the older Montague's, the Urban, and I like it a lot. It's
"a bike that folds" rather than a folding bike. However it doesn't fold
very small or very conveniently, I don't know about their newer models.

A 20" wheeled Bike Friday would be a good compromise, or maybe the 20"
KHS Cappucino, "http://www.khsbicycles.com/10_cappuccino.htm".

Old January 21st 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

:::: I'm interested in comments on the Montague as a bike to take in a
:::: camper. I've had a Bike Friday and a Brompton. Great bikes but I
:::: like the bigger tires of the Montagure I think. Any comments
:::: would be helpful.

My Bike Friday is a model called the Llama because it takes the wider tires.
Perhaps you have tried the Pocket Rocket, which uses only narrow tires.
Check out the Llama; there's lots of room for even a 2" wide tire.

Pat in TX

Old January 23rd 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
San Jose

Actually I had a Bike Friday Touring Bike and it was a nice bike to ride. I
did not like the way it packed and it took me about 20 minutes to pack.
Also a bit iffy on the grip shifter. It was fun to ride!

Bob

Old January 23rd 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

San Jose wrote:
:: Actually I had a Bike Friday Touring Bike and it was a nice bike to
:: ride. I did not like the way it packed and it took me about 20
:: minutes to pack. Also a bit iffy on the grip shifter. It was fun to
:: ride!
::
:: Bob

I don't know which model is the touring bike, but I am supposing you mean
one with a beefier frame and wider spaces for mounting larger tires. I took
my bike on the airplane and used the suitcase, but when I went on Amtrak, I
packed it in a nylon bag which worked like a charm and did not require much
packing. I cannot comment on the grip shifters, but I do know they use
standard, brand name parts on their bikes. I got mine with the regular
handlebars instead of their mountain bike-type bars.

Pat in TX

Old January 24th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Bob Gillespie wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the KHS Cappucino.

"
I'm interested in comments on the Montague as a bike to take in a camper.
I've had a Bike Friday and a Brompton. Great bikes but I like the bigger
tires of the Montagure I think. Any comments would be helpful.

I have one of the older Montague's, the Urban, and I like it a lot. It's
"a bike that folds" rather than a folding bike. However it doesn't fold
very small or very conveniently, I don't know about their newer models.

A 20" wheeled Bike Friday would be a good compromise, or maybe the 20" KHS
Cappucino, "http://www.khsbicycles.com/10_cappuccino.htm".

I don't know where you live, but I saw the Cappucino at a local store,
Sports Basement in Sunnyvale, CA, for $320. They periodically offer 20%
off coupons, which would take another $64 off the price.
Old January 24th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

:: Bob Gillespie wrote:
::: Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the KHS Cappucino.

Please report back with your experiences with it and/or the Montague. I am
especially interested in the components and workmanship.

Pat in TX