Lacing suggestions

Old May 10th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default Lacing suggestions

wrote:
On May 10, 4:36�pm, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 10, 6:36�am, "

wrote:
If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
more inboard placement of the DS flange.

It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

I see. Radial DS would make the wheel more laterally stiff,

um, well, it's not so much the radial configuration, it's more the
effective flange spacing.

but this
would come at the unacceptable expense of NDS push spokes going slack
under high torque loads and probably boinging the wheel.

again, not so much torque, more lateral loading.

This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.

You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.
You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

The
flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
and is in better position to resist.

There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
buckle.

I guess that in general the wider flange spacing of the DA hubs (yet
smaller diameter) than the AC hubs (38mm, 22mm vs 31mm, 17mm) is what
is going to make the biggest difference. So radial NDS, 2x DS.

But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
both sides?

they have american classics? try rebuilding using a hub with a wider
flange spacing. shimano are the best for this.
Old May 10th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 10, 9:28*am, "
wrote:
But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
both sides?

Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they are
heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help... but
I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

Old May 10th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 10, 7:29*pm, Ron Ruff wrote:
On May 10, 9:28*am, "

wrote:
But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
both sides?

Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they are
heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help... but
I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

All my lighter buddies are afraid of tubulars, and even more vain than
me! The old-school Mavic OR10 rims just look funny to them. Not too
mention the insanley high spoke count! They do however do a double
take when I hand them a wheel to feel it's (lack of) weight. And then
when they find out how much they cost (1/2 their heavier pre-builts)
they give me a blank stare.

They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
should I replace them all, or just NDS?

Joseph
Old May 10th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_206_]

wrote:
[...]

Are you set on retaining those rims in combination with the narrow
spaced hubs?
You can add ~20% stiffness with beefier spokes and heads in orientation
of spokes, but at your weight and power I wonder if it is worth the
effort and costs. Light weight wheels are fun to show off, but they
don't make much difference to the overall weight of rider + bicycle ...
especially as the rider weight contribution is over 80%.
I would move ahead with the wheels you are working on now so you can
see what they ride like.
Ron Ruff's idea of selling your light weight rider who thinks tubies
are better (or at least worth it). There are a small percentage of
riders who have a positive bias for tubulars... and some like the old
style Mavic OR rims too.

--
daveornee

Old May 10th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I'm not set on keeping them, but nobody I know is interested in
buying, even for cheap. Fixing them is a low priority. I'll try
flipping the spokes first (free) and maybe some heavier spokes if I
happen across any suitable. If these new aero wheels (Gigantex/Dura
Ace) are nice, I may buy some more of those rims and use the AC hubs
and those I could sell. Then I'll keep the OR10's for some future
unknown project.

Joseph

Old May 10th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 10, 11:39*am, "
wrote:
They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
should I replace them all, or just NDS?

Just flipping them might help enough. If you replace the spokes with
heavier ones, I'd do them all. What size do you have now? If they are
2.0/1.8, then they are already as heavy as you'd want to go.

Old May 11th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_207_]

wrote:
[...]

Precision adjusted cup & cone bearings like those found on Shimano and
pre 2007 Campy along with a good steel QR properly adjusted will also
help keep the wheel in better alignmentunder side loads. The frame and
fork also have contributions. Tension balance in the spokes along with
precision truing will give the the best possible chance of minimizing
brake pad rubbing. The large center sections in current hubs from
Shimano and Campagnolo also make a small but measurable contribution to
lateral stiffness.
I don't know how you have your pads adjusted, but I ride with some very
heavy riders who adjust pads far from the rim to avoid contact. They
don't have them so far out the bottoming levers when braking happens
though.

--
daveornee

Old May 11th 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 9, 1:44*pm, "
wrote:
On May 9, 10:19*pm, "

wrote:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm
Suggested lacing pattern to keep shoeslaces away from the chain.

Getting a shoelace tangled in the pedal spindle of a fixed gear bike
is no fun!

I think I'll try that pattern.

Obviously, what we need now is for some manufacturer
to bring out off-center-drilled shoes.

Ben

Old May 11th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 11, 7:02*am, "
wrote:
On May 9, 1:44*pm, "

wrote:
On May 9, 10:19*pm, "

wrote:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm
Suggested lacing pattern to keep shoeslaces away from the chain.

Getting a shoelace tangled in the pedal spindle of a fixed gear bike
is no fun!

I think I'll try that pattern.

Obviously, what we need now is for some manufacturer
to bring out off-center-drilled shoes.

Ben

I've seen soccer shoes like that. I guess it gives a nice flat area on
the top.

Joseph
Old May 11th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

My Ultegra/DT-Competition/Deep-V 28/32 wheels do not flex enough to
rub the pads. I have the brakes adjusted to contact at about half
lever travel. That way they don't bottom out, and I have good leverage
and wear room. When I fit the OR10's I need to open the calipers a
bit.

Joseph

Lacing [email protected] Techniques 19 November 25th 07 07:24 PM
lacing brooks B66? Bill Taylor Techniques 6 October 29th 07 04:26 AM
Lacing Help Needed!!! Jerrick Unicycling 36 November 27th 06 08:06 AM
PowerTap SL Lacing: 2X or 3X ? Daniel Norton Techniques 2 November 6th 06 01:53 PM
Rim lacing, 36 rim to 48 hub caw89 Unicycling 19 May 25th 05 03:49 PM