How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Old January 21st 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
!Jones' Sock Puppet writes:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:52:14 -0800, in alt.war.vietnam
(Tom Keats) wrote:

What's a Lamborghini Countache?
Acutally, it's properly spelled: Countach.

I copied and pasted. I haven't a clue what it is; however, based on
the context, I assume it's some kind of an expensive car. If you have
a spelling issue, then talk to whoever brought it up in the first
place spelling it thus... it wasn't me.

It was my own typing error. I was just trying to admit to
making a mistake. Now I feel like such an utter failure ;-)

Oh, well.

I wouldn't know one from a
concrete mixer and plan to keep it that way.

Those imports are too much trouble to get parts for, anyway.
It's probably easier to get parts for a cement mixer.
Heck, Jose Feliciano even sort of did a song about them
(and steam rollers.)
[...]

enter pedantic mode

The only CEMENT mixing going on is at cement plants where they blend
prior to shipping the powder out in dry bulk tankers (barge, rail car,
semi-trailer). The thing that looks like this [1] is a ready-mix
CONCRETE truck. Mixing the two up is like calling a bare bicycle rim a
wheel.

All roller made since WW2 (and probably since WW1) have been diesel (or
rarely gasoline) powered, not by steam.

[1] http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/480037-1.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old January 21st 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

I wouldn't know one from a
concrete mixer and plan to keep it that way.

Those imports are too much trouble to get parts for, anyway.
It's probably easier to get parts for a cement mixer.
Heck, Jose Feliciano even sort of did a song about them
(and steam rollers.)
[...]

enter pedantic mode

The only CEMENT mixing going on is at cement plants where they blend
prior to shipping the powder out in dry bulk tankers (barge, rail car,
semi-trailer). The thing that looks like this [1] is a ready-mix
CONCRETE truck. Mixing the two up is like calling a bare bicycle rim a
wheel.

All roller made since WW2 (and probably since WW1) have been diesel (or
rarely gasoline) powered, not by steam.

[1] http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/480037-1.jpg.

It's too late to change the lyrics of the song.
Although maybe some of the lines deserve to be
changed (churning urn of burning funk?? What's
up with that? At least Willie Dixon wrote stuff
we knew what the heck he was singing about.)

As for your pedantry, I hereby invoke "common usage."
Sometimes there's nothing wrong with being wrong.
Especially when one makes the right mistake.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old January 21st 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

-snip-
Tom Keats wrote:
-snip-
What's
up with that? At least Willie Dixon wrote stuff
we knew what the heck he was singing about.)

As for your pedantry, I hereby invoke "common usage."
Sometimes there's nothing wrong with being wrong.
Especially when one makes the right mistake.

Or John Lee Hooker. How how how how.

Hey everyone errs. I give you Willie Dixon's 'Big Three Trio'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 23rd 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
A Muzi writes:
-snip-
Tom Keats wrote:
-snip-
What's
up with that? At least Willie Dixon wrote stuff
we knew what the heck he was singing about.)

As for your pedantry, I hereby invoke "common usage."
Sometimes there's nothing wrong with being wrong.
Especially when one makes the right mistake.

Or John Lee Hooker. How how how how.

I take it you're referring to his tune: "Boom Boom"
(a charming hymn.) That "how how how how" stuff is
readily recognizable as the Primal Grunt of love.

The following line: "Gonna shoot you right down" is
disturbing; it overlays loving nookie with violence.
But I guess "melt you like butter in a microwave"
didn't rhyme.

Hey everyone errs. I give you Willie Dixon's 'Big Three Trio'.

Yeah, signing with Columbia at the time probably cramped
his style, but I figure he had no other option. I hope
for him the Allstars and the subsequent Chess label signing
made up for it.

I figure Dixon would have been a good voice in Siegel/Schwall.
Corky's an excellent harp player, but he sings through his nose.

Dixon would have supplied weight and substance to their tunes.
And, hey -- you can't go wrong with a John Henry's fiddle in
there, even if there's already an electric bass guitar (as
expertly played by Rollo Radford.)

I bet Rollo Radford and Chris Squire could get along with each
other, and trade licks. That would be cool.

cheers,
Tom