time of year to ride?

Old January 23rd 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default time of year to ride?

I plan to ride east to west starting in mid March. Will take transam
to Colorado and then swing south down through Cortez and us rt 160 to
Williams, Az and then west on old 66 (where possible) into LA and up
coast to Santa Barbara. I am concerned about heat of southwest in May/
June. I plan to ride about 30-49 miles a day. mostly in mornings and
late afternoons to avoid summer heat. Has anybody else ridden this
route during May/June? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old January 23rd 09, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
I plan to ride east to west starting in mid March. Will take transam
to Colorado and then swing south down through Cortez and us rt 160 to
Williams, Az and then west on old 66 (where possible) into LA and up
coast to Santa Barbara. I am concerned about heat of southwest in May/
June. I plan to ride about 30-49 miles a day. mostly in mornings and
late afternoons to avoid summer heat. Has anybody else ridden this
route during May/June? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Could get very, very hot and dry. If you're from a humid climate you
may not realize how much it's dehydrating you. Altitudes are also
pretty high for much of this route, so while you'll perspire, you may
not feel like you're perspiring. I'd say drink by the book. Carry huge
amounts of liquids, and force yourself to drink regularly. Very little
along the route by way of water sources!
Another problem you may not have thought of is that much of your
proposed route goes through the Navajo Nation. Motels are few and far
between, and I do not know if you'd be permitted to camp. You'd best
check with them before you trespass.

Good riding,
Bill

__o | You don't stop riding because you get old.
_`\(,_ | You get old because you stop riding.
(_)/ (_) |
Old January 24th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Jan 22, 7:14*pm, wrote:
I plan to ride east to west starting in mid March. Will take transam
to Colorado and then swing south down through Cortez and us rt 160 to
Williams, Az and then west on old 66 (where possible) into LA and up
coast to Santa Barbara. I am concerned about heat of southwest in May/
June. I plan to ride about 30-49 miles a day. mostly in mornings and
late afternoons to avoid summer heat. Has anybody else ridden this
route during May/June? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

I agree with Bill. Plus, if I were you, I'd worry about cold and snow
in March and April.
Old January 24th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Jan 22, 7:14*pm, wrote:
I plan to ride east to west starting in mid March. Will take transam
to Colorado and then swing south down through Cortez and us rt 160 to
Williams, Az and then west on old 66 (where possible) into LA and up
coast to Santa Barbara. I am concerned about heat of southwest in May/
June. I plan to ride about 30-49 miles a day. mostly in mornings and
late afternoons to avoid summer heat. Has anybody else ridden this
route during May/June? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

The western portions of my route on this LA to Milwaukee ride may be
of interest:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4722