Tail Light and Seat Pack

Old September 25th 03, 10:42 AM
John Hearns

Default Tail Light and Seat Pack

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:29:31 +0100, Kenny wrote:

Is there a special tail light that can be fitted to Topeak seatpacks or is
it just a case of adapting the normal tail light seatpost fitting ?

Quick look at my Topeak seatpack shows it has an LED loop.
A lot of LED rear lights have a plastic clip, which simply slips
into this loop.

One word of warning though - I don't find this fixing particularly secure.
I've had lights bounce out on rough roads.
I now depend more on an LED bolted to the plate at the back of my rear
rack. I think this is a German standard plate. Makes light less easy to
nick also.
I carry a small LED in my panniers and would put it on the Topeak loop at
night if needed.

Old September 25th 03, 07:57 PM
iarocu

"John Hearns" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:29:31 +0100, Kenny wrote:

Is there a special tail light that can be fitted to Topeak seatpacks or is
it just a case of adapting the normal tail light seatpost fitting ?

Quick look at my Topeak seatpack shows it has an LED loop.
A lot of LED rear lights have a plastic clip, which simply slips
into this loop.

One word of warning though - I don't find this fixing particularly secure.
I've had lights bounce out on rough roads.

Second warning is that most LED lights are far more effective if
pointing almost directly to the rear. Outside that line the visibilty
falls away rapidly. So attaching to a loose or flexible mount like
seatpack or clothing affects your safety. To demonstrate this check
out a LED light beam against a wall in a dark room.