747's Good Choice for Strength ?

Old March 23rd 05, 03:57 AM
Magnusfarce

Default 747's Good Choice for Strength ?

I recently posted a question about strongest two-sided SPD pedals and got
some helpful information. Poking around, I see that Nashbar has 747's at
about half price right now (~$60). Again, given that I'm looking for a
strong two-sided pedal I can stand on and hammer (I'm a real big guy)
without any thought to snapping the axle and going down in a heap, is this
pedal a good choice for the money?

BTW, what is the float on this pedal?

- Magnusfarce

Old March 23rd 05, 01:13 PM
Peter Cole

Magnusfarce wrote:
I recently posted a question about strongest two-sided SPD pedals and

got
some helpful information. Poking around, I see that Nashbar has

747's at
about half price right now (~$60). Again, given that I'm looking for

strong two-sided pedal I can stand on and hammer (I'm a real big guy)
without any thought to snapping the axle and going down in a heap, is

this
pedal a good choice for the money?

BTW, what is the float on this pedal?

Heavy, rugged, no float. Read reviews on mtbr.com.

Old March 23rd 05, 01:16 PM
Peter Cole

Magnusfarce wrote:
Again, given that I'm looking for a
strong two-sided pedal I can stand on and hammer (I'm a real big guy)
without any thought to snapping the axle and going down in a heap, is

this
pedal a good choice for the money?

How big? I'm 6'10", 235, I haven't snapped a pedal axle yet (have
crunched a few bearings on cheap pedals).

Old March 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
RonSonic

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:57:42 -0800, "Magnusfarce"
wrote:

I recently posted a question about strongest two-sided SPD pedals and got
some helpful information. Poking around, I see that Nashbar has 747's at
about half price right now (~$60). Again, given that I'm looking for a
strong two-sided pedal I can stand on and hammer (I'm a real big guy)
without any thought to snapping the axle and going down in a heap, is this
pedal a good choice for the money?

It's as strong as any of them.

BTW, what is the float on this pedal?

No float, but a different set of cleats will have some.

Ron

Old March 23rd 05, 02:04 PM
Peter Cole

Magnusfarce wrote:
I recently posted a question about strongest two-sided SPD pedals and

got
some helpful information. Poking a

It's a 737, big difference.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:16 PM
Magnusfarce

I'm not real experienced with SPD pedal technology (other than riding with
my original pair for many years). Can you elaborate on your comment about
changing the float by using different cleats?

- Magnusfarce

Old March 23rd 05, 04:32 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I recently posted a question about strongest two-sided SPD pedals and got
some helpful information. Poking around, I see that Nashbar has 747's at
about half price right now (~$60). Again, given that I'm looking for a
strong two-sided pedal I can stand on and hammer (I'm a real big guy)
without any thought to snapping the axle and going down in a heap, is this
pedal a good choice for the money?

BTW, what is the float on this pedal?

The 747 is an older model. Nice bearings, but improved cleat mechanisms
(easier entry/release) on newer pedals. I'm not sure why you're so concerned
about breaking pedals; the basic Shimano SPD-M520 is virtually impossible to
damage, cheap (under $50) and comes with floating cleats. If you have to buy
cleats for the 747, you'll be spending another $11-$15 or so.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 23rd 05, 11:43 PM
RonSonic

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:16:26 -0800, "Magnusfarce"
wrote:

I'm not real experienced with SPD pedal technology (other than riding with
my original pair for many years). Can you elaborate on your comment about
changing the float by using different cleats?

The release angle and the amount of float is determined by the cleat, not the
pedal. Unless I am mistaken the cleats used in the 747 like the other early SPDs
don't float.

Ron

.. .

Old March 23rd 05, 11:50 PM
RonSonic

wrote:

I recently posted a question about strongest two-sided SPD pedals and got
some helpful information. Poking around, I see that Nashbar has 747's at
about half price right now (~$60). Again, given that I'm looking for a
strong two-sided pedal I can stand on and hammer (I'm a real big guy)
without any thought to snapping the axle and going down in a heap, is this
pedal a good choice for the money?

It's as strong as any of them.

BTW, what is the float on this pedal?

No float, but a different set of cleats will have some.

Ooops. I was thinking "737" when you have the number 747 right there in front of
me. As the girl said "never mind."

Ron

The good old days DaveB Australia 26 August 9th 04 10:41 AM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM
Looking for a good bike shop in Montreal Daniel Crispin General 4 June 13th 04 12:12 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
Good price? Marty Mountain Biking 2 August 11th 03 07:23 AM