27" tube on 700c rim?

Old March 22nd 05, 03:53 AM

Default 27" tube on 700c rim?

Hello,

I need to replace a 700cx35 tube, and have a 27"x1 1/4" tire/tube
available. The numbers are close. Will the 27" rube work on the
700c rim?

Thanks.

Andy

Old March 22nd 05, 07:16 AM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:53:45 -0800, aksjls wrote:

Will the 27" rube work on the 700c

Err, maybe.

you can usually go the other way since 700c is a wee bit smaller...

Old March 22nd 05, 10:41 AM
Peter Keller

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:53:45 -0800, aksjls wrote:

Hello,

I need to replace a 700cx35 tube, and have a 27"x1 1/4" tire/tube
available. The numbers are close. Will the 27" rube work on the
700c rim?

Thanks.

Andy

The tube will work; a little stretching or shrinkage doesn't hurt. The
tyre won't work; a 27" tyre is 3mm longer in circumference than a 700C
one, and this is enough to make it slip off the rim.

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

Old March 22nd 05, 07:52 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Peter Keller wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:53:45 -0800, aksjls wrote:

Hello,

I need to replace a 700cx35 tube, and have a 27"x1 1/4" tire/tube
available. The numbers are close. Will the 27" rube work on the
700c rim?

The tube will work; a little stretching or shrinkage doesn't hurt. The
tyre won't work; a 27" tyre is 3mm longer in circumference than a 700C
one, and this is enough to make it slip off the rim.

A 27" tire (ISO 630) is 8mm larger in diameter at the bead seat than a 700c
(ISO 622) tire. This makes it approximately 25mm longer (almost a foot!)
in circumference.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Old March 22nd 05, 08:09 PM

Benjamin Lewis writes:

I need to replace a 700cx35 tube, and have a 27"x1 1/4" tire/tube
available. The numbers are close. Will the 27" rube work on the
700c rim?

The tube will work; a little stretching or shrinkage doesn't hurt.
The tyre won't work; a 27" tyre is 3mm longer in circumference than
a 700C one, and this is enough to make it slip off the rim.

A 27" tire (ISO 630) is 8mm larger in diameter at the bead seat than
a 700c (ISO 622) tire. This makes it approximately 25mm longer
(almost a foot!) in circumference.

I don't know about the 8mm but 304.8mm is a foot. Just the same, if
need be, a 27" tube will fit with a wrinkle or two into a 700c tire
assuming it is the right cross section for the tire width. Wrinkles
don't hurt but mounting a tire is easier if the tube doesn't have any.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:37 PM
Benjamin Lewis

jobst brandt wrote:

Benjamin Lewis writes:

I need to replace a 700cx35 tube, and have a 27"x1 1/4" tire/tube
available. The numbers are close. Will the 27" rube work on the
700c rim?

The tube will work; a little stretching or shrinkage doesn't hurt.
The tyre won't work; a 27" tyre is 3mm longer in circumference than
a 700C one, and this is enough to make it slip off the rim.

A 27" tire (ISO 630) is 8mm larger in diameter at the bead seat than
a 700c (ISO 622) tire. This makes it approximately 25mm longer
(almost a foot!) in circumference.

I don't know about the 8mm but 304.8mm is a foot.

Oops! Well, I was only off by about 2 orders of magnitude!

I stand by the 8mm larger diameter and 25mm larger circumference, however.

2.5 cm extra circumference seems more reasonable for an inner tube than 25
cm!

Old March 22nd 05, 08:39 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

jobst brandt wrote:
Benjamin Lewis writes:

A 27" tire (ISO 630) is 8mm larger in diameter at the bead seat than
a 700c (ISO 622) tire. This makes it approximately 25mm longer
(almost a foot!) in circumference.

I don't know about the 8mm but 304.8mm is a foot.

Oops! Well, I was only off by about 2 orders of magnitude!

Err, 1 order of magnitude. sigh...

Old March 22nd 05, 10:05 PM
di

" the 8mm but 304.8mm is a foot.

Oops! Well, I was only off by about 2 orders of magnitude!

I stand by the 8mm larger diameter and 25mm larger circumference, however.

2.5 cm extra circumference seems more reasonable for an inner tube than 25
cm!

--
Benjamin Lewis

that metric system will do it to you everytime. :)

Old March 23rd 05, 07:27 AM
Tom Sherman

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Benjamin Lewis writes:

I need to replace a 700cx35 tube, and have a 27"x1 1/4" tire/tube
available. The numbers are close. Will the 27" rube work on the
700c rim?

The tube will work; a little stretching or shrinkage doesn't hurt.
The tyre won't work; a 27" tyre is 3mm longer in circumference than
a 700C one, and this is enough to make it slip off the rim.

A 27" tire (ISO 630) is 8mm larger in diameter at the bead seat than
a 700c (ISO 622) tire. This makes it approximately 25mm longer
(almost a foot!) in circumference.

I don't know about the 8mm but 304.8mm is a foot. Just the same, if
need be, a 27" tube will fit with a wrinkle or two into a 700c tire
assuming it is the right cross section for the tire width. Wrinkles
don't hurt but mounting a tire is easier if the tube doesn't have any.

When I go to the bike store, they have a lot of tubes in boxes that are
marked both "27-inch" and "700C" - this appears to be the norm.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 24th 05, 12:54 AM
Jim

When I go to the bike store, they have a lot of tubes in boxes that are
marked both "27-inch" and "700C" - this appears to be the norm.

I've used them interchangably for 25 years, never saw a problem yet.