for Joerg, new bar tape

Old December 11th 16, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default for Joerg, new bar tape

I finally got around to rewrapping the bars on my commuter.

http://imgur.com/a/nxeLp
Cinelli cork tape, hemp twine, four coats of amber shellac.

--
sig 98
Old December 11th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

David Scheidt wrote:
I finally got around to rewrapping the bars on my commuter.

http://imgur.com/a/nxeLp
Cinelli cork tape, hemp twine, four coats of amber shellac.

Looks great, but wouldn't four coats of shellac make them rather slick and
"crispy"?

Old December 11th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-12-10 19:43, David Scheidt wrote:
I finally got around to rewrapping the bars on my commuter.

http://imgur.com/a/nxeLp
Cinelli cork tape, hemp twine, four coats of amber shellac.

Nice job! I like that vintage look. With my 1982 road bike it would
probably fit even better from a style POV because it still has the old
Shimano 600 stuff including brake levers and downtube shifters. Your
frame looks vintage as well, you probably added brifters and front disc
later. The threadless steerer also looks like a conversion.

Until you brought it up I didn't even know shallac was used on cork and
I am surprised it doesn't crack with all the flexing in the material,
temperature expansion and contraction, and handlebar flexing.

With the commuter looking so posh now you may have to be concerned about
theft when parking it in front of a store or pub.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 11th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: http://imgur.com/a/nxeLp
: Cinelli cork tape, hemp twine, four coats of amber shellac.
:

:Nice job! I like that vintage look. With my 1982 road bike it would
robably fit even better from a style POV because it still has the old
:Shimano 600 stuff including brake levers and downtube shifters. Your
:frame looks vintage as well, you probably added brifters and front disc
:later. The threadless steerer also looks like a conversion.

Nope. Modern frame, a Singular Peregrine, five years old next month.
http://bicycletimesmag.com/review-singular-peregrine/

:Until you brought it up I didn't even know shallac was used on cork and
:I am surprised it doesn't crack with all the flexing in the material,
:temperature expansion and contraction, and handlebar flexing.

The shellac, as long as you apply it in thin coats and allow it to dry
between them (24 hours is plenty), is pretty flexible. It will
eventually crack, but another coat or two will solve that. this is my
beater bike, which has tape that's about five and half years old,
which includes a couple of years and winters of commuting on it.
http://imgur.com/DieFAK5
You can see the shellac is cracking, and can sort of tell where it's
been recoated. (It hasn't been for at least two years, though.)
It's do for new tape, it got torn on the side of the right drop, but
not for a while. (it's due for a whole bunch of maintance....)

:With the commuter looking so posh now you may have to be concerned about
:theft when parking it in front of a store or pub.

I live in chicago. I always worry about theft.

--
sig 19