Circus Magazine?

Old January 19th 04, 09:43 AM
Klaas Bil

Default Circus Magazine?

If you wanna inquire about something you don't know much about, who do
you ask first? Your friends, or someone in the know? (Assuming there's
no obvious overlap.) Yes. So here we go:

My daughter is getting into circus arts quite heavily. We want to give
her a subscription to a circus magazine for her upcoming birthday. The
magazine should focus on the performing aspects (techniques, tips,
reviews, etc.) and also mention circus schools, camps, workshops etc.
I've looked at 'Kaskade' (http://www.kaskade.de) and at 'Spectacle
Magazine' (http://www.spectaclemagazine.com). Of these, Kaskade seems to
come closest to what I want. Are there any others worth looking at?

Thanks,
Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old January 20th 04, 06:50 AM
Klaas Bil

OK, not many circus friends here. I should have known.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

Old January 20th 04, 08:55 AM
GILD

Klaas Bil wrote:
*Of these, Kaskade seems to come closest to what I want. Are there any
others worth looking at?*

i've only seen a couple of issues of kaskade that a friend, currently in
london, sent over
so, i'm afraid i can't express an opinion based on comparisons
kaskade strikes me as a pretty solid publication

u may want to check out 'this'
(http://www.the-forum.com/ephemera/circmag.htm) , 'this'
(http://tinyurl.com/ytba5) and 'especially this'
(http://www.spectaclemagazine.com/) might be worth a look

let us know what u decide

which arts are she particularly interested in?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

'SPACESHIP EARTH' (http://www.therainforestsite.com/home)

Namaste!
Dave

Old January 20th 04, 12:08 PM
unicycleboy

Klass, Im currently studying at circomedia in Uk ill have a look what
magazines can be bought if toy want.

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...k/NewSig2.jpg]
And no im NOT a juggler :P

unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

Old January 20th 04, 09:06 PM
Sofa

I used to subscribe to Circus magazine in the 80's and early 90's.

Although...it was a Glam Rock/Heavy Metal magazine

Sofa- Must admit former favourite bands we

Ratt
WASP
Motley Crue
Poison
Skid Row
G'n'R

Sometimes while working on the computer with radio@netscape playing,
I'll throw it on the 'hair metal station' and ask myself what I was
thinking back then.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

'your so stupid' - *)---(x)*

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old January 20th 04, 11:57 PM
johnfoss

There's the Circus Report, which may not be too useful as it's
USA-based:
http://www.lionden.com/circus_report.htm

It apparently comes out every two weeks. I haven't seen it in many
years, but back then it was more of a newsletter, focusing on the
business. It had ads for acts looking for venues, and promoters looking
for acts. And lots of reviews of shows!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I went to the Liberace Museum and the Elvis-A-Rama Museum on the same
day! This is not for everyone."

Old January 21st 04, 05:47 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:55:57 -0600, GILD
wrote:

u may want to check out 'this'
(http://www.the-forum.com/ephemera/circmag.htm) , 'this'
(http://tinyurl.com/ytba5) and 'especially this'
(http://www.spectaclemagazine.com/) might be worth a look

Thanks GILD! That last one I had found already, the website is not
very informative about what's in the magazine. Seems less interesting
than Kaskade. The other two are not as interesting for performers (I
think).

let us know what u decide

Waiting for unicycleboy's further reply but leaning towards Kaskade
now.

which arts are she particularly interested in?

Acrobatics first and foremost. Trapeze second I think, currently only
static trapeze. Juggling may be third, but then mainly because she has
to - from the youth circus (by the name of "Rotjeknor") she is at.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Old January 21st 04, 05:47 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:08:38 -0600, unicycleboy
. com wrote:

Klass, Im currently studying at circomedia in Uk ill have a look what
magazines can be bought if toy want.

Yes, please do! Thank you!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Old January 21st 04, 05:49 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:57:56 -0600, johnfoss
wrote:

There's the Circus Report, which may not be too useful as it's
USA-based:
http://www.lionden.com/circus_report.htm

We have a similar thing for the Netherlands at
http://members.home.nl/cnb/CircusNieuwsBrief.html. That too is not
too useful for someone who would like to be a performer rather than a
spectator.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Old January 21st 04, 01:02 PM
treepotato

hopefully for my birthday i'm going to subscribe to Kascade

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Old Magazine Article - American Racers in Europe RWM Racing 0 May 4th 04 10:10 PM
Article: Circus as Sport? JJuggle Unicycling 4 September 30th 03 06:11 PM