BICYCLE MAGAZINE?????????????

Old November 28th 04, 03:38 AM
Maggie

Default BICYCLE MAGAZINE?????????????

Since I decided to ride a bike, join a club and sign up for a few
rides...I also thought I would buy a subscription to Bicycling
Magazine. The mag came in the mail today and it's called the sex
issue. Did I subscribe to the wrong mag or is this just a special
issue on why cycling makes you a better lover, and why cyclists have
more sex. I certainly was not expecting that.
My husband had a field day with the magazine since he thinks people
who ride bicycles are dorks. (Actually he used another word)
Hopefully the next mag will have actual articles instead of polls on
how many cyclists make pit stops to have sex and what is the most
erotic bike part. Is this usual for this magazine? Is there another
one that actually has articles about Cycling? This is supposed to be
the worlds leading bicycle mag...so it says.
Old November 28th 04, 05:09 AM
Gooserider

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
On 27 Nov 2004 19:38:11 -0800, (Maggie) from
http://groups.google.com wrote:

Since I decided to ride a bike, join a club and sign up for a few
rides...I also thought I would buy a subscription to Bicycling
Magazine. The mag came in the mail today and it's called the sex
issue. Did I subscribe to the wrong mag or is this just a special
issue on why cycling makes you a better lover, and why cyclists have
more sex. I certainly was not expecting that.
My husband had a field day with the magazine since he thinks people
who ride bicycles are dorks. (Actually he used another word)
Hopefully the next mag will have actual articles instead of polls on
how many cyclists make pit stops to have sex and what is the most
erotic bike part. Is this usual for this magazine? Is there another
one that actually has articles about Cycling? This is supposed to be
the worlds leading bicycle mag...so it says.

You bought Buy Cycling For Whitey. It's a horrible magazine. There are

plenty
of better magazines out there, and I'll let you discover the,

Buy Cycling For Whitey as opposed to what? The only minority-centered
bicycling magazine is Lowrider Bicycle, and I don't think Maggie is
interested in twisted chrome frames and 128 spoke wheels. Bicycle centered
magazines are going to lean toward the hobbyist or racer, and all magazines
are dependent on advertisers to survive. But you're just being Kevan, so I
guess we shouldn't take you seriously.

Old November 28th 04, 06:03 AM
Alan Acock

Did I subscribe to the wrong mag

The subscription is pretty cheap and if you expect to get a strictly
advertising based magazine, you won't be disappointed. If they say a
product is merely good this means it is terrible. Years ago they had actual
reviews on new products. Now they have 5 words and some pictures. Others
say there are better magazines, but I don't know what they are for a
beginner. The idea of a semi objective review of new products would be a
good magazine, but it would cost more than a buck an issue by subscription.
Old November 28th 04, 06:29 AM
Frank Knox

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
Since I decided to ride a bike, join a club and sign up for a few
rides...I also thought I would buy a subscription to Bicycling
Magazine. The mag came in the mail today and it's called the sex
issue. Did I subscribe to the wrong mag or is this just a special
issue on why cycling makes you a better lover, and why cyclists have
more sex. I certainly was not expecting that.
My husband had a field day with the magazine since he thinks people
who ride bicycles are dorks. (Actually he used another word)
Hopefully the next mag will have actual articles instead of polls on
how many cyclists make pit stops to have sex and what is the most
erotic bike part. Is this usual for this magazine? Is there another
one that actually has articles about Cycling? This is supposed to be
the worlds leading bicycle mag...so it says.

$30 per year and worth it:
http://www.adventurecycling.org

Old November 28th 04, 01:42 PM
Pat

: You bought Buy Cycling For Whitey. It's a horrible magazine. There are
: plenty
: of better magazines out there, and I'll let you discover the,

: Buy Cycling For Whitey as opposed to what? The only minority-centered
: bicycling magazine is Lowrider Bicycle, and I don't think Maggie is
: interested in twisted chrome frames and 128 spoke wheels. Bicycle centered
: magazines are going to lean toward the hobbyist or racer, and all
magazines
: are dependent on advertisers to survive. But you're just being Kevan, so I
: guess we shouldn't take you seriously.

Yeah, somehow, Kevan always brings race into every discussion, doesn't he?
It's not yet February, but I'm already looking forward to his complaints
about cycling magazines not having enough black riders on the cover....

Pat in TX
:
:

Old November 28th 04, 05:09 PM
Jeremy Parker

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
Since I decided to ride a bike, join a club and sign up for a few
rides...I also thought I would buy a subscription to Bicycling
Magazine. The mag came in the mail today and it's called the sex
issue. Did I subscribe to the wrong mag

Yes, you did actually. It's a shame, because I'm old enough to
remember when it was a good magazine. I used to keep track of how
popular cycling was in the USA by watching Bicycling's circulation.

Somebody has already mentioned "Adventure Cyclist", which is a far
better magazine. In addition, by subscribing you become a memeber of
the Adventure Cycling Association, which nowadays is, perhaps, more
of a US national organization for cyclists than is the LAB -
something very strange has happened to the LAB.

Adventure Cyclist is rather heavy on articles about people taking
vacations in far off places, and becoming better people by chatting
to the locals. To balance that it has a monthly article by John
Schubert, one of the best bike journalists in the USA, or indeed the
world.

There are two magazines here in England which you might consider.
There's Cycling Plus, one of the last magazines around for people not
especially interested in mountain bikes. It has a sister magazine
for mountain bikes. Find out more at www.cyclingplus.co.uk There's
also the Cyclists' Touring Club, perhaps worth it for the magazine
alone, but which is also a good source of advice, and has a mail
order store. The CTC's magazine comes out every two months, but is
as good as any commercial magazine, and I think has a circulation, in
Britain, rivalling the commercial magazines. The magazine's editor
used to be the editor of Cycling Plus. For more about the CTC see
www.ctc.org.uk

Actually, the London Cycling Campaign's magazine is pretty good. The
LCC is the largest one city bike organization in the world, and so
can support a proper magazine, out every two months. That magazine
is about as opposite from Bicycling as you can get, having probably
the widest range of readers of any bike magazine. As well as the
kind of peeople who might read Bicycling, it has people like little
old ladies with wicker baskets on their handlebars, hard core bike
messengers, and people who believe the correct way to get a new bike
is to find it in a skip, the British equivalent of a dumpster. And
it has the people who belong to the CTC, and subscribe to Cycling
Plus as well. it has people who never go outside the city limits,
and people who go on marathon tours. For the LCC see www.lcc.org.uk

Jeremy Parker
London UK

Old November 28th 04, 05:41 PM
blazingpedals

Buycycling Magazine cashiered all their intelligent editors years ago.
Now the rag is written for adolescents with short attention spans.
Don't expect it to get any better.

--
blazingpedals

Old November 28th 04, 08:36 PM
djrocker257

They come out with an article like that every couple of yrs.
I stopped subscribing to that yrs ago as I found it to be a bunch of
fluff with not a lot of useful content
Unfortunately, good cycling magazines are hard to find.

Doug

--
djrocker257

Old November 28th 04, 09:21 PM
Brian

Apologies, Maggie...

Most of the wanna-be crit and century riders that lurk here are 'down' on
Rodale's Bicycling Magazine. None are actual subscribers, so it would seem.
All of them forget that a)there's no advertising revenue in how to cycle on
a budget and b) you don't subscribe to a popular publication for the intense
level of technical knowledge contained therein. If you want details,
ffolkes, get ahold of a trade publication. Bicycling is for enthusiasts,
period...

Personally, I enjoyed the December issue article by Steve Friedman on the
rise and fall of Marco Pantani...