OT - Into the wind in both directions!

Old March 16th 05, 09:28 PM
gds

Could have been worse. Could have been uphill in both directions as
well. That seems to happen to me sometimes.

Old March 16th 05, 10:09 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:51:43 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote in message :

I went for a quick little trip to the Post Office just to get
some stamps, and I was thinking this will be a nice easy relaxing ride. Then
I got out there and realized it was WINDY! so I made my way to the PO and
started back, and I was riding into the wind again! Struggled to do 12 mph!
What a workout!

That's your basic "againsterly" that is ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old March 16th 05, 10:28 PM

Maggie Lbuset writes:

I went for a quick little trip to the Post Office just to get some
stamps, and I was thinking this will be a nice easy relaxing ride.
Then I got out there and realized it was WINDY! so I made my way
to the PO and started back, and I was riding into the wind again!
Struggled to do 12 mph! What a workout!

There's more to wind than is readily apparent. Some of these
effects are shown in an analysis at:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html

Is this you?

What do you mean by "you" and why?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/index.html

I'm the one in that picture although I like to recall:

http://tinyurl.com/a9gr

If it is, I am truly impressed. There are alot of intellectuals in
this Newsgroup. Come to think of it, when I was in college, alot of
the professors would ride bikes on campus. ALOT! Academia and
bicycles seem to go hand in hand. Only they were always riding in
corduroy jackets with ties on. And never wore a helmet.

Well, I ride in corduroy pants but am not an academic, as Sheldon
mentions in that web site.

Ride bike!

Jobst Brandt

Old March 17th 05, 12:07 AM
RonSonic

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:51:00 -0500, jj wrote:

On 16 Mar 2005 11:40:05 -0800, "Maggie" wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:51:43 -0500, "Ken Marcet"

wrote:

Of course every cyclist has had these ride, and probably a million

posts
here about them.
But anyway, I went for a quick little trip to the Post Office just

to get
some stamps, and I was thinking this will be a nice easy relaxing

ride. Then
I got out there and realized it was WINDY! so I made my way to the

PO and
started back, and I was riding into the wind again! Struggled to do

12 mph!
What a workout!

Here in Tampa there's usually an afternoon wind shift that'll do that

to you.
And remember since you're going forward any sidewind turns into a

quartering
headwind.

Other places have terrain, here in Florida we have what looks like a

slice of
swiss cheese on a table top and wind. I've pounded into the wind with

a 42x21
struggling to make cadence and gone with the wind riding 22mph in

what felt like
dead calm sweat pouring off my face and falling straight down.

Wind is a strange an painful thing. I think it's the non-linearity

that makes it
worse. If you're going uphill you'll go twice as fast if you pedal

twice as
hard. Going into the wind you just hurt twice as much and go very

little faster.

Ron

If you run into all my relatives say hello to them for me. Try not to
run them down. They all live in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

You're turning into a real piece of work. Why would you say such a thing to
Ron?

Well it's if I run into 'em I shouldn't run 'em over.

I don't remember the afternoon wind shift while visiting out there, but
I do remember the sun poisoning. ;-)

Oh, that's a fine memory of Florida, peel your hide right off ya and leave you
sicker than a dog.

Ron

I tried riding my bike in the wind once and fell over. I don't do wind
any longer.
All Good Things,
Maggie

Old March 17th 05, 12:09 AM
RonSonic

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:25:05 GMT, Neil Brooks wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

Other places have terrain, here in Florida we have what looks like a slice of
swiss cheese on a table top and wind. I've pounded into the wind with a 42x21
struggling to make cadence and gone with the wind riding 22mph in what felt like
dead calm sweat pouring off my face and falling straight down.

Wind is a strange an painful thing. I think it's the non-linearity that makes it
worse. If you're going uphill you'll go twice as fast if you pedal twice as
hard. Going into the wind you just hurt twice as much and go very little faster.

Ah, yes . . . and the incredible number of lightning strikes . . . and
the rain that falls in buckets in your front yard, yet it's perfectly
clear in your back yard . . . and the little old Q-tip drivers
stopping their Cadillacs at around 3:30p in the summer when the daily
deluge hits (not pulling off the road, mind you--just stopping) . . .
and the hurricanes . . . and, and, and...

Missing my few years in Fort Myers.... Cycling heaven, I tell ya' :-)

How about the ones that WILL NOT PASS, no matter how you wave them on, oncoming
traffic or not they will NOT pass. The little old ones in the cataract goggles
who just pull out into the street trusting that people will indeed stop for
them.

I'll tell you though, more good riding days a year than you can find anywhere
else.

Ron
Old March 17th 05, 02:33 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

I tried riding my bike in the wind once and fell over. I don't do wind
any longer.

I rode this bike 40+ miles on a day when the wind was at 30-mph, gusting
to 45-mph: http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)

Old March 17th 05, 02:36 AM
Tom Sherman

maxo wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:51:43 -0500, Ken Marcet wrote:

Of course every cyclist has had these ride, and probably a million posts
here about them.

The two cities that I've lived in that regularly had this happen were
Göteborg, Sweden and Chicago....

What country is Chicago in?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, on the border of Forgottonia)

Old March 17th 05, 02:39 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

wrote:

Ken Marcet writes:

I went for a quick little trip to the Post Office just to get some
stamps, and I was thinking this will be a nice easy relaxing ride.
Then I got out there and realized it was WINDY! so I made my way to
the PO and started back, and I was riding into the wind again!
Struggled to do 12 mph! What a workout!

There's more to wind than is readily apparent. Some of these effects
are shown in an analysis at:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html

Jobst Brandt

Is this you? If it is, I am truly impressed. There are alot of
intellectuals in this Newsgroup. Come to think of it, when I was in
college, alot of the professors would ride bikes on campus. ALOT!
Academia and bicycles seem to go hand in hand. Only they were always
riding in corduroy jackets with ties on. And never wore a helmet.
Maggie.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/index.html

Hang out in rec.bicycles.tech for a while, and you will become well
acquainted with Mr. Brandt.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, on the border of Forgottonia)

“Ride Bike” - Jobst Brandt

Old March 17th 05, 02:41 AM
Tom Sherman

gds wrote:

Could have been worse. Could have been uphill in both directions as
well. That seems to happen to me sometimes.

When I was a child, we rode our bikes 50 miles each way to school,
uphill in both directions, and through 10 feet of snow.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, on the border of Forgottonia)

Old March 17th 05, 03:55 AM
Chris Neary

I tried riding my bike in the wind once and fell over. I don't do wind
any longer.

I rode this bike 40+ miles on a day when the wind was at 30-mph, gusting
to 45-mph: http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm.

Here is a picture taken not far from my home:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/%7Eabrown..._CRW_3022.html

In short, around here if you don't like to ride in the wind, you don't ride.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh