What it is to love a sport...

Old March 25th 05, 04:47 PM
SlowRider

Default What it is to love a sport...

It's been awhile since I contributed to this group -- my schedule has
been NUTS and of course, internet discussions fall well below family,
friends, work and cycling (and a few other interests) on my priority
list.

I've been riding more miles this year than in years past, and it looks
as if it'll be a good season. I'm targeting new "personal bests" for
some 60-mile, 75-mile and 100-mile rides this year. Nothing to make
Lance jealous, you understand; these are merely challenging incentives
that make life more interesting.

Training inevitably brings its share of disappointments. A couple of
Saturdays ago I was out doing intervals on my road bike - hitting
speeds I could only dream of holding for any length of time - when I
got passed by a guy who was chatting on his cell phone(?!). Nevermind
how foolish it might be to use a cell phone while cycling - the guy
wasn't even breathing hard. I felt old and tired when I got back to my
house.

At times like those, I wonder if I'll still be interested in my bike
the next day, or if I'll take up another hobby, like knitting. But the
next day I woke up and fairly jumped out of bed, excited at the
prospect of doing my long Sunday ride. The weather wasn't even that
great, but I was ready to get on the bike.

That day I had a fantastic ride. I rode whichever direction suited my
whim, in some places going faster than I'd ever gone before, and I
arrived back at the house feeling completely exhilirated.

Another example: Thursday nights I put myself through the wringer --
it's a long session of intervals on the trainer. Usually when I finish
this workout, my legs are jelly. Last night I started my workout, but
by the time I was halfway through, I felt tired and my stomach was
gurgling. I couldn't continue. Was I getting sick? Was I
over-training? I wasn't very happy.

This morning I woke up feeling good and strong and full of enthusiasm.
Today's a rest day, so no riding for me, but I'm dreaming of rides to
be taken and hills to be climbed, and I think this must be what it is
to love a sport. Yes, there are days when you get your heart broken;
but they are rare. Those moments of pain and disappointment can't
compete with the joyous days of sunshine, fresh legs and cool air on
your face and in your lungs.

-JR

Old March 25th 05, 05:17 PM
Neil Cherry

On 25 Mar 2005 08:47:08 -0800, SlowRider wrote:

Training inevitably brings its share of disappointments. A couple of
Saturdays ago I was out doing intervals on my road bike - hitting
speeds I could only dream of holding for any length of time - when I
got passed by a guy who was chatting on his cell phone(?!). Nevermind
how foolish it might be to use a cell phone while cycling - the guy
wasn't even breathing hard. I felt old and tired when I got back to my
house.

Here's something to keep in mind: there is always someone better at
something than you. Don't take that to be as negative as that
sounds. But if you understand that when someone blows by you then you
won't feel so bad. Having learned this I now compete more with myself
and if I'm doing better than before I'm winning. I still try to
compete with those who are stronger/better than I am because they make
me try harder. That's enough to keep me going. I don't worry too much
about not doing as well as the other guy as I do about doing better
than before. Lets face it I'll never beat the lowliest of TdF riders
(even on their bad days) but I can hold my own against myself. :-)

Remember we don't get paid for this we do it because we enjoy it. So
go out there and enjoy it!

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old March 25th 05, 05:22 PM
S o r n i

Neil Cherry wrote:
Lets face it I'll never beat the lowliest of TdF riders
(even on their bad days) but I can hold my own against myself. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know it's my job but I'm letting that one go.

Bill

PS: Lowrider's OP was beautiful (man). Seriously nice.

Old March 25th 05, 05:37 PM
jj

wrote:

[...]

This is a great post, and it speaks to things with which we all have to
deal.

One of the hardest ones is motivation, which is coupled with the desire to
see steady improvement. There's the urge to compare yourself against
others, or against some mythic standard.

If you have good motivation, and good consistency then you are already an
elite trainer. IMO, it's better to have gotten in 300 days of riding per
year, year after year, than being able to ride 25-30mph.

But I sometimes neglect to appreciate the feelings you describe in your
last para. Thanks for that reminder.

The next time you are passed by the fast rider on the cellphone, crank it
up. Make him work to keep ahead of you. ;-)

jj

Old March 25th 05, 05:40 PM
Arthur Harris

"SlowRider" wrote:

I'm targeting new "personal bests" for
some 60-mile, 75-mile and 100-mile rides this year.

A couple of
Saturdays ago I was out doing intervals on my road bike - hitting
speeds I could only dream of holding for any length of time - when I
got passed by a guy who was chatting on his cell phone(?!). Nevermind
how foolish it might be to use a cell phone while cycling - the guy
wasn't even breathing hard. I felt old and tired when I got back to my
house.

At times like those, I wonder if I'll still be interested in my bike
the next day, or if I'll take up another hobby, like knitting.

Thursday nights I put myself through the wringer --
it's a long session of intervals on the trainer. Usually when I finish
this workout, my legs are jelly.

Well, everyone has to decide their own purpose for riding. For some it's the
social aspects of group rides. For others, it's the adventure of touring in
far off places. Or competing in races. Or just the joy of covering long
distances under your own power.

If you don't plan to race, there's really no reason to "put yourself through
the ringer." That might actually be bad for your physical and mental health.
You don't have to choose between riding for fitness or riding for enjoyment.
If you get out and ride briskly on a regular basis, and cover long
distances, your fitness will improve. You don't have to push yourself to
the point of exhaustion or suffer through "interval sessions" to get fit.
Forget the stopwatch and the average speed reading. Ride hard when you feel
like it, and take it easy when you don't. This is supposed to be fun!

Those moments of pain and disappointment can't
compete with the joyous days of sunshine, fresh legs and cool air on
your face and in your lungs.

Now you're talking!

Art Harris

Old March 25th 05, 06:08 PM
Ken Marcet

Great post! I haven't been cycling for long, and would probably get my
behind beat by most if not all of the posters in this group. But I have been
riding more and more every day. And other than the daily trips to the office
store and or the Post office, I try to get in two short "pleasure" rides,
with no special place to go, just to get on the old bike and ride. And okay
I get passed by people of all ages, by the little kiddies on the BMX bikes,
by the older guys on the MTB's heck even by a granny on an adult trike!. But
I still enjoy getting out there and pedaling! Maybe I am improving, maybe I
am not, but I enjoy it, and I feel better after the ride!

Ken

Old March 25th 05, 07:51 PM
Maggie

Ken Marcet wrote:
[...]

That's how I feel. I can't ride a bike to prove something to myself.
I am beyond the age of trying to prove things to myself. I am who I am
and I know who I am. When I ride my bike and little kids pass me on
their tricycles, I take it in stride. First of all, I will never have
the time to train on a bike in order to do something amazing. My life
does not allow it at this point. I have a job, a business, a home, a
husband, three kids, my extended family and alot of responsibilities to
organizations I belong to in town. I barely have time to get things
done now. I ride my bike for the sheer pleasure of it. I can't post my
times, distances, how to buy the right equipment or how many miles I
did last weekend. I don't keep track. I do agree with you about
feeling better after I ride. It's a wonderful sport for someone like
me. When the spirit moves me, I take out my bike and ride. I come home
feeling less stressed and full of energy. I definately am going to
ride my bicycle to work everyday. That is my ultimate goal. Not to do
a century or become a cyclist in competiton. All I want to do is "ride
baby ride."
All Good Things,
Maggie.

Old March 26th 05, 01:05 AM
RonSonic

On 25 Mar 2005 08:47:08 -0800, "SlowRider" wrote:

Training inevitably brings its share of disappointments. A couple of
Saturdays ago I was out doing intervals on my road bike - hitting
speeds I could only dream of holding for any length of time - when I
got passed by a guy who was chatting on his cell phone(?!). Nevermind
how foolish it might be to use a cell phone while cycling - the guy
wasn't even breathing hard. I felt old and tired when I got back to my
house.

Are you sure the guy wasn't yanking your chain?

That is such the ultimate in cycling psychology it hardly seems an accident. I
know the best I can muster is to save a few lungfulls of air to make a happy
chirpy "howyadoin" on the way by. But a real ace could pull a phone and make all
happy-chatty and then start dying when he's out of earshot.

Then again there are guys that much faster than us geezers.

[...]

Enjoy.

Ron

Old March 26th 05, 04:21 AM
Neil Cherry

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:22:53 GMT, S o r n i wrote:
Neil Cherry wrote:
Lets face it I'll never beat the lowliest of TdF riders
(even on their bad days) but I can hold my own against myself. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know it's my job but I'm letting that one go.

Not only can I put my foot in my mouth but I can keep a steady ...
you know on second thought I'll skip that comment. ;-)

Old March 26th 05, 04:24 AM
Neil Cherry

On 25 Mar 2005 11:51:42 -0800, Maggie wrote:

That's how I feel. I can't ride a bike to prove something to myself.
I am beyond the age of trying to prove things to myself. I am who I am
and I know who I am. When I ride my bike and little kids pass me on
their tricycles, I take it in stride. First of all, I will never have
the time to train on a bike in order to do something amazing.

Taken against the rest of the population you are doing something
amazing just riding your bicycle!