More cyclists getting in the way

Old March 31st 11, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

Default More cyclists being put at risk.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:55:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Push bikes are a childrens toy - grow up.

No they aren't. I am glad I have not grown up.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old March 31st 11, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:03:36 +0100, Judith wrote:

Oh "we" eh?

That will be you, Ravin, Simple, and Porky.

Like all jawless fish, the hagfish has no bony skeleton but simply a
supporting flexible rod of cells, called a notochord, allowing it great
flexibility. Fleshy barbels surround its slitlike, jawless mouth, and it
has only rudimentary eyes. There is a single pair of ventral gill
openings about a third of the way along the body.

snip

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old March 31st 11, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:24:47 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

If cyclists will insist on trying to use a child's toy as a form of
transport its going to be dangerous.

it is not a child's toy.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old March 31st 11, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 23:53:45 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

Trevor A Panther wrote:

Has Tony Ravin ever blamed a cyclist for anything?

Rarely -- if ever!

Why would I here? I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to people who
always blame the cyclist and hardly ever blame the motorist.

Anyway I thought you had me kill-filed so how would you know?

Tony

Ho, ho ho, - what a tosser.

Who was Trevor Panther responding to?

Think about it as it explains how he saw the post you have commented on.

--

"Then back to my club on Pall Mall "

Tony Raven - pretentious tosser

Old March 31st 11, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 23:51:11 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:

Cromwell place is the one way street, I believe, which is shown on sky views
of google earth as one way and street view as two way, there are road works
and traffic lights to the left on cromwell road and it was there that the
peds got knocked about by cyclists.

It switched on 16 August 2009. When was your visit?

Surprised you saw any bikes on Cromwell Road. The A4 is two lanes of
fast traffic and not for the feint-hearted cyclist so very few use it IME.

Tony

Now come on Mr Cheerful - you know that you lied and made it all up.

You forgot that Ravin was an expert on every street in London - and that if he was not there to
personally witness it, then I am afraid it did not happen.

Old March 31st 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:

Cromwell place is the one way street, I believe, which is shown on
sky views of google earth as one way and street view as two way,
there are road works and traffic lights to the left on cromwell
road and it was there that the peds got knocked about by cyclists.

It switched on 16 August 2009. When was your visit?

Surprised you saw any bikes on Cromwell Road. The A4 is two lanes of
fast traffic and not for the feint-hearted cyclist so very few use
it IME.

Tony

Now come on Mr Cheerful - you know that you lied and made it all up.

You forgot that Ravin was an expert on every street in London - and
that if he was not there to personally witness it, then I am afraid
it did not happen.

I went a few weeks ago and there is definitely a one way street there
somewhere. there were dozens of cyclists on the cromwell road and on the
pavements, it did not seem markedly faster or more dangerous than anywhere
else in london at that area, but the road is wider.

If whoever is saying that I am lying would like to remove their confirmation
bias and cyclists' blinkers and visit the area on foot during a bright week
day then I know they will see similar sites to the ones I did.

I am shocked that none of the usual suspects have not said that it is just
anecdotal !!!!

Old March 31st 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper

On 31/03/2011 09:15, Peter Keller wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:24:47 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

If cyclists will insist on trying to use a child's toy as a form of
transport its going to be dangerous.

it is not a child's toy.

Perhaps the problem lies in the perception that a bicycle *is* a child’s
toy. I certainly do not think it is a good idea to let people play with
them on the roads without proper training and/or supervision.

Old March 31st 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 31/03/2011 09:59, Mrcheerful wrote:

Judith wrote:
Tony wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

Cromwell place is the one way street, I believe, which is shown on
sky views of google earth as one way and street view as two way,
there are road works and traffic lights to the left on cromwell
road and it was there that the peds got knocked about by cyclists.

It switched on 16 August 2009. When was your visit?
Surprised you saw any bikes on Cromwell Road. The A4 is two lanes of
fast traffic and not for the feint-hearted cyclist so very few use
it IME.

Now come on Mr Cheerful - you know that you lied and made it all up.
You forgot that Ravin was an expert on every street in London - and
that if he was not there to personally witness it, then I am afraid
it did not happen.

I went a few weeks ago and there is definitely a one way street there
somewhere.

Correct.

Google Maps confirms it. Thurloe Street and Thurloe Square each have one way
working. So does the eastern end of Thurloe Place itself:

http://tinyurl.com/5vjgqp2

Street view shows the No Entry signs at the western end of that section
(looking east).

Old March 31st 11, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Judith wrote:
Tony wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

[...]

Disregard that last sentence, please. I was looking in the wrong direction in
Street View.
Old March 31st 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper

Default More cyclists getting in the way

On 30/03/2011 15:51, paul george wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:08 am, wrote:

I am certain there are some excellent cyclists and I applaud the ones
that
help to train others.

I you knew anything about the subject you would know that the
cycle training you are so keen to mandate is all about teaching
people how to mitigate the danger caused by bad driving.

Adopting the primary position, for example.

You mean 'getting in the way'?

Pretty much so.

I was driving up behind a cyclist yesterday in a busy narrow road with
my teenage son in the car. He asked, “how far out do you think that
cyclist should be?” (he was riding about a foot from the edge). I said
in reply “quite a bit further” as what the cyclist was inadvertently
doing by cycling on the edge of the road was inviting me to overtake
dangerously close.

Instead, I slowed down and waited until it was clear ahead before
pulling out and performing a safe clean overtake while putting nobody at
risk.

Most (yes most) drivers do not have the driving skills to do that.
Instead they see a gap and try to get through it. Therefore it is
important for cyclists to “get in the way”.