Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did - was I wrong???

Old April 16th 04, 12:55 PM
AC

Default Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did - was I wrong???

Bought a 'good value' track type pump from Lidls (ok, ok I know...) £2.99

Claimed would fit presta valves (ie non-car type)

Did anyone else buy one - 'cos if they did ,can they explain how the small
brass adapter works. Screwed it onto valve then put end of air line onto
adaptor - pressed down the lever to lock it, but it does not push down the
valve stem and allow air into the tube

I *thought* it was good value - maybe it was just *cheap*!!!

Any info appreciated

--
Cheers

AC

Old April 16th 04, 01:25 PM
Roos Eisma

"AC" writes:

Bought a 'good value' track type pump from Lidls (ok, ok I know...) £2.99

Claimed would fit presta valves (ie non-car type)

Did anyone else buy one - 'cos if they did ,can they explain how the small
brass adapter works. Screwed it onto valve then put end of air line onto
adaptor - pressed down the lever to lock it, but it does not push down the
valve stem and allow air into the tube

If it is the same sort of brass adaptor I have at home: unscrew small
thingy on presta valve (so if you push on it the air comes out, often
good to do that briefly). Then screw on adaptor, and clamp on pump. Pump.

Roos

Old April 16th 04, 01:51 PM
Peter Clinch

Roos Eisma wrote:

If it is the same sort of brass adaptor I have at home: unscrew small
thingy on presta valve (so if you push on it the air comes out, often
good to do that briefly). Then screw on adaptor, and clamp on pump. Pump.

Some can be temperamental, and let more out than they put back in. The
Presta converters are a common item, so maybe try another from your LBS
before giving up. Different adapters seem to change the probability of
letting your tyres down rather than pumping them up.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old April 16th 04, 02:17 PM
Simon D

"AC" wrote in message
Bought a 'good value' track type pump from Lidls (ok, ok I know...) £2.99

Claimed would fit presta valves (ie non-car type)

Did anyone else buy one - 'cos if they did ,can they explain how the small
brass adapter works. Screwed it onto valve then put end of air line onto
adaptor - pressed down the lever to lock it, but it does not push down the
valve stem and allow air into the tube

I *thought* it was good value - maybe it was just *cheap*!!!

Any info appreciated

--
Cheers

AC

The other respondents have (quite possibly correctly) assumed that you're
using Presta valves (narrow, with the small nut which unscrews from the
top). If you are, their advice should help you. The air pressure should be
enough to open the valve with each stroke, and you need to make sure that
the valve locknut is undone, and that the valve can open / close easily
(press it briefly before attaching the adaptor).

If you're using Schaeder valves (like car valves), then get another adaptor.
I've come across a few which don't depress the valve, and there's no way
you'll ever get one of these to work.

---

Old April 16th 04, 02:50 PM
AC

Thanks to all for the advice

Seems adapter was ok - I thought it wasn't as the pressure gauge showed
zero - however it only works when pumping air into the tyre ie not a
constant read out

Cheers

Old April 16th 04, 03:13 PM
Pete Biggs

AC wrote:
Bought a 'good value' track type pump from Lidls (ok, ok I know...)
£2.99

Claimed would fit presta valves (ie non-car type)

Did anyone else buy one - 'cos if they did ,can they explain how the
small brass adapter works. Screwed it onto valve then put end of air
line onto adaptor - pressed down the lever to lock it, but it does
not push down the valve stem and allow air into the tube

That's not how presta valves work. The valve core is only pressed to
release air, nothing normally depresses it. Air is forces its way through
the valve when pumped.

For Prestas:
1. Unscrew knurled nut.
2. Give valve a quick press to unstick it (will release some air).
3. Fit adapter if required.
4. Fit pump and inflate.

I don't know Lidl pumps but most normal little brass Shrader to Presta
adapters are rubbish beacuse they don't fit well and leak. Either use a
pump designed to work directly with prestas or get a better adapter with
an 'O' ring (these are also good to carry for ermergencies for use with
garage air lines).

I *thought* it was good value - maybe it was just *cheap*!!!

I dunno how good it is but I wouldn't expect much at all for £2.99.
That's a silly price if ever there was one. It's worth paying ten times
that for a pump that will inflate with ease and last decades.

~PB

Old April 16th 04, 03:20 PM
Pete Biggs

AC wrote:
Seems adapter was ok - I thought it wasn't as the pressure gauge
showed zero - however it only works when pumping air into the tyre ie
not a constant read out

It should give a constant readout. I suspect your getting leakage
somewhere, which is typical with adapters.

~PB

Old April 16th 04, 03:32 PM
Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs wrote:
AC wrote:
Seems adapter was ok - I thought it wasn't as the pressure gauge
showed zero - however it only works when pumping air into the tyre ie
not a constant read out

It should give a constant readout. I suspect your getting leakage
somewhere, which is typical with adapters.

On second thoughts, I don't think my replies are entirely correct, sorry.

You would only get a constant readout, or at least an initial readout if
the valve was pressed. I think some pumps must do this afterall as I get
an initial and constant reading when using Silca and Topeak Smarthead
chucks. I don't think it's essential, though. I can't see how some basic
pump heads could depress the valve.

Pressure in hose or inside pump/gauge might have something to do with it
as well.

~PB

Old April 16th 04, 08:15 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , Peter Clinch
wrote:
The Presta converters are a common item, so maybe try another from
your LBS before giving up. Different adapters seem to change the
probability of letting your tyres down rather than pumping them up.

Commercial ones are, IMVHO, far too short. I made my own from hex
brass and they are about an inch long - never had a failure.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island