My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

Old January 5th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Michael Press

Default My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

In article
,
"* * Chas" wrote:

"KERRY MONTGOMERY" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
If you only want to talk to this other jerk, Kerry Montgomery, then do

it
via email and do not bother the rest of us.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Ed,
Which part of my posting caused you to call me a jerk?
Thanks,
Kerry

Kerry,

Since May 2003, Edward the great has posted 8838 messages to 28 different
NGs. When does he have time to ride? How do you spell troll?

Chas. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

Is this the reference you are making?
http://www.thesisters.org/

--
Michael Press
Old January 5th 07, 09:53 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
* * Chas

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
,
"* * Chas" wrote:

"KERRY MONTGOMERY" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
If you only want to talk to this other jerk, Kerry Montgomery,

then do
it
via email and do not bother the rest of us.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows -

Minnesota

Ed,
Which part of my posting caused you to call me a jerk?
Thanks,
Kerry

Kerry,

Since May 2003, Edward the great has posted 8838 messages to 28

different
NGs. When does he have time to ride? How do you spell troll?

Chas. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

Is this the reference you are making?
http://www.thesisters.org/

--
Michael Press

YES! Ha, Ha, Ha....... FDLMAO

I live in the Bay Area and the "gals" are at least entertaining.

Chas. In memory of Nun of the Above

Old January 17th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Prisoner at War

wrote:
I don't care what you ride . If you don't take care of it .they all go to
Sh#t .Learn to fix it take better care of it .A buddies of mine use to
complain about his Mt bike but never worked on it to keep it in shape it
really doesn't take that much.Once he started to clean it and adjust thing
as they were being use he had better luck when he went out riding . He could
go for a ride and things didn't break or come out of adj.
I think this is what the he was looking for .
Don't wait till it breaks . Ride it and pay a little attion to what's going
on and you can tell when thing are coming loose or need adjusted.Really??
I own 3 bikes and keep them in shape the last thing they do is let be down
on a ride unless I crash and bend some thing .
Don't get me wrong if you bought a cheep bike??? You get what you pay for
!!!
A cheap bike wont get you the mileage of a good bike?!?!
MY 2 CENTS

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large!!

Nah, like I said in my other post, my $200 cheapie MTB by Diamondback
is 15 yrs. old and rides fine still, but this $3,500 SWB got a bent
chainring from a simple bump with a car! The car's paint isn't even
scratched, but the paint on the chainring has come off!

It's a TruVativ chainring, what Hostel Shoppe sells for their "Ultimate
SMGTe"...I can't believe a little tap has thrown a few teeth crooked!
I've taken harder hits from cars on my own body without drawing blood
(used to be an NYC messenger for all of half a summer), but a simple
bump leaves the car's finish perfectly fine while my chainring is bent.
Sheesh!

Old January 18th 07, 08:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Buck

On 01/17/2007 21:56:50 "Prisoner at War" wrote:

wrote:

Gremlins. You've got gremlins on your ****.

Something about bents attracts them. Good luck.

I seriously wonder. Sometimes I wonder if 'bents aren't made as
carefully...even though, with such low sales volume, each one is
practically custom-built!

I swear, I still have the fifteen year-old Diamondback cheapie $200 MTB I
bought, the one where I had two major accidents and a few minor ones
(major ones including flying over my handlebars and a destroyed front
wheel) and the **** rides fine. ****ing $3,500 SMGTe hits a ****ing car
(that's what'd had happened, hidden driveway on an uphill!) and the car is
fine but the big chainring is bent!

Just a little, but enough to impair operations. Continued cycling is what
caused the chain itself to break and a thingamajig spring in the back to
go boing! and hors de combat.

Bents are subject to the same rules as other cycles, they need to be assembled correctly, often the assembly can be more complex plus they
often require more maitainance.

--

Buck

Give a little person a little power and create a big problem.

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old January 19th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Peter Clinch

Prisoner at War wrote:

I seriously wonder. Sometimes I wonder if 'bents aren't made as
carefully...even though, with such low sales volume, each one is
practically custom-built!

As you've said yourself, there are no problems with the frame. The
chainwheel is not HP Velotechnik specific, or even recumbent
specific: it's a standard chainwheel bought off the same shelves
everyone else has access to, so the extent to which it's a problem
because it's a recumbent is it's in a slightly more vulnerable spot
if you crsh into things. Moral #1, try not to crash into things,
moral #2, though that's a downside on the 'bent you're far less
likely to waste your forks and front wheel crashing into things
than you are on a wedgie... you choose, you lose.

Just a little, but enough to impair operations. Continued cycling is
what caused the chain itself to break

Again, same chains as on wedgies. 2.4 chains, admittedly, but that
doesn't cause any immediate problems of itself and because the
chain is much better protected from goop there's less cleaning and
lubing to do. But it still needs to be done, or just like any
chain on any bike it might well break. Chains that aren't looked
after won't necessarily go, but they might. OTOH, chains that are
looked after have a vanishingly small failure rate IME, and that's
true on a 'bent or an upright.

Your complaint about all the different screw to hold things on...
those things are, rack and seat excpeted, standard items from the
standard any-bike parts available. It's silly to complain about
differences being down to the bike being recumbent, they apply to
anything.

Which takes us back to Gremlins.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 19th 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Peter Clinch

Prisoner at War wrote:

It's a TruVativ chainring, what Hostel Shoppe sells for their "Ultimate
SMGTe"

So you've specifically paid for minimum weight. That doesn't make
things stronger! your $200 MTB will be a never mind the weight and
make it rugged affair. If you want the same degree of robustness
you need to specify that, *not* minimum weight.

Pete.
Old January 19th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:15:12 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

The
chainwheel is not HP Velotechnik specific, or even recumbent
specific: it's a standard chainwheel bought off the same shelves
everyone else has access to, so the extent to which it's a problem
because it's a recumbent is it's in a slightly more vulnerable spot
if you crsh into things.

It is a bit easier to create chain slack on many recumbents and if you
combine that with hard stop-start in your spin, you can do damage.
I've seen a few MTBs that have had the same thing happen. You have to
work harder to do it on a well-adjusted, indexed diamond frame, and
their simpler drive trains usually bend or blow out the rear
derailleur as the point of failure when it does happen. Recumbents
have a better chance of taking that force out on the chain ring.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 19th 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Peter Clinch

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

It is a bit easier to create chain slack on many recumbents and if you
combine that with hard stop-start in your spin, you can do damage.

Maybe... though in this case he admits he crashed into something!

Pete.
Old January 22nd 07, 02:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:33:58 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

It is a bit easier to create chain slack on many recumbents and if you
combine that with hard stop-start in your spin, you can do damage.

Maybe... though in this case he admits he crashed into something!

Pete.

Agreed, but I've jammed a chain doing a stutter step in my spin while
avoiding an accident. All you have to do is freeze a moment and then
try to muscle your way out of the situation. Same thing can lead to
bent teeth.

Just a possibility.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)