Maverick Sus: Anybody else sheared off a bolt?

Old November 26th 04, 06:04 PM
Reco Diver

(JD) wrote in message om...
Ride-A-Lot wrote in message ...
JD wrote:
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message . ..

6.4 miles walk home...Whew!

We're talking the two bolts that connect the link to the rest of the frame -
conical head and conical bolt on each.

They are cheesy. Angry Man sheared his off last week and has a new
swingarm on the way from trek/klein. That's twice now that he's
broken his trek/klein in less than two years of owning it. He doesn't
mind making "the machine" (aka trek) replace his bike frames because
it costs them, though he would prefer a Maverick American eventually
because he rides that suspension design so well.

The bottom line? Companies like trek make disposable bikes to those
who actually ride and ride often in various terrrain.

Also, before any of the doubters start claiming that Angry Man is a
hack and breaks bikes by thrashing down the trail, those who post here
and have ridden with him can testify that he rides as smooth as
butter.

JD

One would think that if they take the design from Maverick and basically
keep it exactly the same, one couldn't ruin it. Is it worth it to cut
costs by using shoddy bolts? If you want to cut costs, use cheaper
paint. Is it easier for them just to replace things everytime for free,
rather than do it right the first time?

I think it's fantastic because it really shows what all of the cookie
cutter bike companies like to do. They try to copy a good design,
change a few minor details to make it look original or "innovative",
and then cut corners where they shouldn't, making a disposable bike in
the process. Only a fool would ignore these sad facts.

Sadly, the "selling" of designs by Maverick is exactly what the
company was designed to do. Turner is a pro, and he has realized that
there is more money nand fewer hassles involved in developing designs
for other companies. Maverick produces just enough ML7's and
Reposado's were produced in house in just enough numbers to drive up
interest and "prove" the design.

I know you've probably hashed this out a million times in the NG.

Yeah, so it only makes foolish people more the fool for ignoring it.

Where does Maverick produce their frames?

I would wager to guess that Reco Diver knows and a quick phone call
would tell me.

AFAIK, Maverick is still producing things in limited numbers, in
house. By doing so the company retains it image as a producer of only
the best quality, while continuing their primary function ($) as a
design reactor.

Old November 26th 04, 08:59 PM
JD

From: "(Pete Cresswell)"
I don't know the name of the move, but in a tight space when you want to turn
the bike; lean forward until the rear wheel is off the ground, then swing the
bike around until it's pointing in the direction you want to go and let the
rear wheel drop to the ground.

That's called a tailwhip. Angry does not do a lot of tailwhips. I
think his was a matter of JRA because there was no specific move being
done when he noticed the telltale creak.

JD
Old November 26th 04, 09:04 PM
Ride-A-Lot

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
RE/

One would think that if they take the design from Maverick and basically
keep it exactly the same, one couldn't ruin it. Is it worth it to cut
costs by using shoddy bolts?

In my case it's a SevenCycles and I don't think they'd chince out on
anything...it's just not their niche.

I'm no engineer, but my take is that it's an engineering judgement thing.
Whoever designs it has to make tradeoffs between weight, durability,
installability, servicability in the field, fault tolerance in unexpected
situations and cost.

They came up with something that was light and seemed to do the job at hand.

One could hope that it will evolve into something that is more fault-tolerant or
at least could be replaced in the field....But I'm not holding my breath until
that happens.

That is a kick-ass move! Ever since I saw it done in one of PF's
videos, I've been practicing it. I can get about 1/2 way to where I
want to be. Still a bit wussy to keep my ass-end in the air that long
without thinking I'm going OTB.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old November 27th 04, 02:17 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Still a bit wussy to keep my ass-end in the air that long
without thinking I'm going OTB.

That's about where I am....don't feel like I can afford any unneccessary
endos....
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 13th 04, 03:31 AM
Becca: Where's your Daddy?

om...
From: "(Pete Cresswell)"
I don't know the name of the move, but in a tight space when you want to

turn
the bike; lean forward until the rear wheel is off the ground, then

swing the
bike around until it's pointing in the direction you want to go and let

the
rear wheel drop to the ground.

That's called a tailwhip. Angry does not do a lot of tailwhips. I
think his was a matter of JRA because there was no specific move being
done when he noticed the telltale creak.

JD

Hey JD,

Have you hugged your kid today, this week, this month, this year?

BBBWWAAHHAA

Old December 13th 04, 03:32 AM
Becca: Where's your Daddy?

"JD" wrote in message
m...
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message

. ..
RE/
Angry Man sheared his off last week and has a new
swingarm on the way from trek/klein.

That confirms my suspicion that if I kept hammering on this thing after

the
break that the rear swing arm would be damaged. I'm assuming that

Angry Man
also broke the bolt that connects to the swing arm.... Seems like the

other
bolt doesn't get as much stress.

He sheared both sides, maybe even simultaneously. They were too far
down in at the break and loctited. So, a new swinger is on the way.