Remote Lockout Front Shocks: Are we there yet?

Old April 11th 05, 11:33 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tim wrote:
In article , Shaun aRe wrote:

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 'loads' of issues are probably vastly exaggerated, as with most
product shortcomings, by people like me saying 'i hear they are
useless cos....' I should learn to phrase things better lol.

In second answer to the top comment, it shouldnt be hard at all for
a manufacturer to come up with a remote lockout, but its how many
people want it? I know i dont, but i know some would - they've
probably asked about a bit and found that although it annoys the
hell out of some people, most dont really care.

Surely it's an easy set-up to make for oneself? Most at least, of
all the lock-outs I've seen have just been little levers on the fork
tops, similar on rear shocks - how hard to attach a cable stop to
for leg, cable end to lever end, and an old friction thumb shifter
to the bars to do this?

Shaun 'improvise' aRe

The remote lockout for my forks (Pace RC36) is sort of like
that- a little thumb lever on the bars. I've found it very handy to be
able to flick the lockout on & off with both hands on the bars rather
than groping for the tops of the legs while riding.

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.asp?catID=2&subcat=3 and if
anyvody's interested their sale page has them for £299.

A remote lockout for 299 pounds?!?!?! You can get an entire fork for that
kind of money
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 12th 05, 12:11 AM
Mike DeMicco

My '05 Fisher Sugar 292 has a RockShox Reba fork that has what is called
a PopLoc Adjust remote on the handlebar. A flick of the thumb, and the
fork is locked out, push a button, and it is not. It's a soft lockout
(the fork still moves a little, and there is a floodgate valve which
opens on harder hits, so you can't blow the shock if it's locked out).
You can also adjust the fork compression on the fly via the same
handlebar mount (that's the adjust part). See the RockShox website and
download the manual for the Reba for further info. The only time I use
the lockout is if I'm on pavement or climbing out of the saddle.

My Cannondale with Headshok also has a knob on the top of the headtube
to lock out the fork. They've had this for many years.

--
Mike DeMicco
Old April 12th 05, 03:57 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Mike DeMicco:
It's a soft lockout
(the fork still moves a little, and there is a floodgate valve which
opens on harder hits, so you can't blow the shock if it's locked out).

IMHO, that's the key feature I'm looking for before I spring for a remote
lockout.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 13th 05, 01:14 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Chris Phillipo:
I prefer the ECC method

That's what I have now - works, but I'm getting tired of reaching down there to
enable/disable it. Sounds trivial, but after cresting a hill, and starting to
hammer down, I don't feel very safe reaching down and fiddling with the lever.
--
PeteCresswell