Fair weather cyclists

Old September 21st 04, 11:32 AM
Gags

Default Fair weather cyclists

Beautiful day in Melbourne today and there were people on bikes everywhere
for my trip home along the Yarra Trail. On my trip home I saw at least 4 or
5 families and probably around 20 or so individual cyclists (not to mention
the numerous joggers, walkers, dog-walkers, and dogs).

I think that it is great that people are getting out and being active
(especially those encouraging kids to exercise) and I am all for encouraging
it but it raises the question.......

"Where were they all last week?".

At the risk of sounding like a grouch, I almost preferred it a couple of
weeks ago when it was cold and wet and I almost had the Yarra Trail to
myself (I was getting RSI on my right thumb today from having to use the
bell). I am lucky that I go to work pretty early as days like today mean
that all the bike hooks are generally taken by about 8am and then it is
every cyclist for himself in claiming trees and wall space to lean the bike
on. Fortunately my workplace has security guards on the gates and so we
don't have to take too many security precautions (most people leave helmets,
lights, computers, gloves, jackets, etc hanging on their bikes during the
day).

BTW, how many Melbournites are going to Fed Square for "Ride to Work Day" on
the 6th October?? I think that I will ride the singlespeed that day and try
to get some cred from all the fixies that show up (I am still searching for
a suitable fixie frame).

Ride On,

Gags

Old September 21st 04, 12:13 PM

"Gags" == Gags gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au writes:

Gags Fortunately my workplace has security guards on the gates and
Gags so we don't have to take too many security precautions (most
Gags people leave helmets, lights, computers, gloves, jackets, etc
Gags hanging on their bikes during the day).

Sometimes I work in the Victorian Police Centerer. I used to be able to
park my bike in reception but refurb put paid to that so I have to use
the Police car park.

First time I parked there the SOG guys were doing their kit check as I
was parking my bike up. Took out bike lock then noticed that not a
single bike was locked. Glancing over my shoulder as weapons were
getting checked and stuff I figured my bike would probably be in more
danger if I locked it due to professional insult or some other such
tosh.

Gags BTW, how many Melbournites are going to Fed Square for "Ride
Gags to Work Day" on the 6th October??

I went last year, I'd been commuting for about two months at that point.
Free Powerade, breakfast. Was fun :-)
--
Cheers
Euan
Old September 21st 04, 12:50 PM
DaveB

Gags wrote:

BTW, how many Melbournites are going to Fed Square for "Ride to Work Day" on
the 6th October??

No way, the bike tracks will be full of cyclists who rarely ride, and I
can just imagine the carnage down Collins St. That's one day I
definitely won't be riding. Although I was interested to read in
RoyalAuto about the "Bike Angels" who will be stationed at various
crucial points along the main routes into the city to provide directions
and maybe CPR if required.

DaveB

Old September 21st 04, 02:32 PM
hippy

Gags Wrote:

BTW, how many Melbournites are going to Fed Square for "Ride to Wor
Day" on the 6th October??

Free food? Damn right I'll be there!

I'm trying to get some others at work to head in too.. they are
mostly soft though so I don't like my chances.

hipp

--
hippy

Old September 21st 04, 10:01 PM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:
Free food? Damn right I'll be there!

I'm trying to get some others at work to head in too.. they are
mostly soft though so I don't like my chances.

hippy

Boroondara convinced our Mayor, Judith Voce to join in and she made i
all the way to town and was then lining up a photo op with Mayor So an
promptly slipped on the swanston tram tracks and broke her arm!
rolleyes :

Still, she supports cycling in general, bless her.

Definitely staying away from the paths on Oct 6.
Caught up in a 'bike jam' last year at the burnley pontoon/divide
bridge thingy and waitied as approx 100-200 riders banked up. shoul
have had a camera

--
flyingdutc

Old September 21st 04, 11:53 PM
rickster

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message ...
Beautiful day in Melbourne today and there were people on bikes everywhere
[snip]

it but it raises the question.......

"Where were they all last week?".

I know where you are coming from. In my morning bunch ride, the
numbers have swelled up to double the winter numbers. Instead of a
dozen or so hard core guys rolling turns it's up to over 20, with guys
unsighted in the chill of winter cutting in, causing havoc and
decreasing my gain:risk ratio on which I decide to abandon a certain
training ride.

Although I agree, there is a risk of sounding grouchy on these things

Old September 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
Marx SS

I’m a half-way fair weather rider. Even though I commute virtually al
year around, I have the luxury of various options to get to/from work
When it’s dark & I’m wearing my whole cycling wardrobe it’s the shor
30min sprint down Footscray rd through Docklands to the city. But now
take the City bike path east past the Zoo to Rushworth station to Dight
Falls & then the yarra trail around, approx an hour. This is the firs
year doing this route on the single speed MTB (44/18) & the climb alon
Yarra bend boulivard is blowing my legs badly – might whoose out & g
the road next to CUB through Abbotsford, but don’t tell anyone….

I must admit it gets hard with traffic on the paths as the weathe
improves. I currently don’t have a bell fitted & just hit th
dirt/grass if there’s no path left for me. Might need to go rummage i
the shed…

--
Marx SS

Old September 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
DRS

"Marx SS" wrote in
message
I’m a half-way fair weather rider. Even though I commute virtually all
year around, I have the luxury of various options to get to/from work.
When it’s dark & I’m wearing my whole cycling wardrobe it’s the short
30min sprint down Footscray rd through Docklands to the city. But now
I take the City bike path east past the Zoo to Rushworth station to
Dights Falls & then the yarra trail around, approx an hour. This is
the first year doing this route on the single speed MTB (44/18) & the
climb along Yarra bend boulivard is blowing my legs badly – might
whoose out & go the road next to CUB through Abbotsford, but don’t
tell anyone….

I must admit it gets hard with traffic on the paths as the weather
improves. I currently don’t have a bell fitted & just hit the
dirt/grass if there’s no path left for me. Might need to go rummage in
the shed……

You need an air horn.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 22nd 04, 10:31 AM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
Gags Wrote:

BTW, how many Melbournites are going to Fed Square for "Ride to Work
Day" on the 6th October??

Free food? Damn right I'll be there!

I'm trying to get some others at work to head in too.. they are
mostly soft though so I don't like my chances.

hippy

....and a free massage. Here's a tip - take a bigger than usual
backpack

--
Nick
Old September 22nd 04, 02:07 PM
aeek

Gags Wrote:

I think that it is great that people are getting out and being active
(especially those encouraging kids to exercise) and I am all fo
encouraging
it but it raises the question.......

"Where were they all last week?".

What gets me is the racks are full when its hot enough to melt.
You can dress for the cold, but you can only strip so far.
Its not as if there's been much rain this winter (Canberra),
and if I can ride all year in sandals it cannot be that cold???

Not exactly looking forward to more cyclists using the nice ne
bikelanes.
I know its the point but I like to take the ramp off the Commonwealt
Bridge shared path onto coloured bikelane at 30-40kmh - competive wit
the exiting cars and I'll adjust my speed to make the crossove
painless. I've flashed rage with some cyclists ahead thinking 0-10 wa
a safer entry speed, and they were far enough ahead

--
aeek

water bottles,helmets Mark General 191 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
Five cyclists cleared Marty Wallace Australia 2 July 3rd 04 11:15 PM
MP wants cyclists banned-Morn. Pen. rickster Australia 10 June 1st 04 01:22 AM
"Japan cracks down on 'killer' cyclists." D. Telegraph, 7.4.2004 Scott Leckey UK 42 April 13th 04 09:18 PM
Clear Channel Radio DJs threatening cyclists, again! Corvus Corvax Social Issues 30 October 3rd 03 01:12 PM