Ti frame repair, replacement frame help!!! Also - Airborne/Flyteinfo?

Old May 8th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gina-Mirela Mustata

Default Ti frame repair, replacement frame help!!! Also - Airborne/Flyteinfo?

Hi,

I just found out the junction of top/down tubes with the bb shell on my
frame is cracked 90% through. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can
be welded together (safely since I race) or whether the frame should now
be scrapped? If there is no hope can I get some recommendations of
good/stiff frames (that are also reasonably priced - in college here) that
would ride similarly to Airborne/Flyte? This bike is a 2005 Zeppelin and
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the company? I tried their
website and then found out through another newsgroup that they went
belly-up. Does that basically mean that their lifetime warranty is now
void or is there something I can do about it? Even a partial monetary
replacement would help. How does warranty work with a bankruptcy case?

Thank you for any and all help.

Old May 8th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Gina-Mirela Mustata wrote:
I just found out the junction of top/down tubes with the bb shell on my
frame is cracked 90% through. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can
be welded together (safely since I race) or whether the frame should now
be scrapped? If there is no hope can I get some recommendations of
good/stiff frames (that are also reasonably priced - in college here) that
would ride similarly to Airborne/Flyte? This bike is a 2005 Zeppelin and
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the company? I tried their
website and then found out through another newsgroup that they went
belly-up. Does that basically mean that their lifetime warranty is now
void or is there something I can do about it? Even a partial monetary
replacement would help. How does warranty work with a bankruptcy case?

Warranties are 'lifetime'; theirs, not yours usually. Do they have a
surviving entity? If so, maybe.

This is Ti? A customer showed us a cracked Ti frame which he had
rewelded by an Air Force tech at a local base. That's a rare success story.

If aluminum, repairs exceed value; replace it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 8th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Gina-Mirela Mustata" wrote in message
Hi,

I just found out the junction of top/down tubes with the bb shell on my
frame is cracked 90% through. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can
be welded together (safely since I race) or whether the frame should now
be scrapped? If there is no hope can I get some recommendations of
good/stiff frames (that are also reasonably priced - in college here) that
would ride similarly to Airborne/Flyte? This bike is a 2005 Zeppelin and
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the company? I tried their
website and then found out through another newsgroup that they went
belly-up. Does that basically mean that their lifetime warranty is now
void or is there something I can do about it? Even a partial monetary
replacement would help. How does warranty work with a bankruptcy case?

Thank you for any and all help.

Roark is a Ti builder nearby. http://www.roarkcycles.com/

You may want to contact them for advice/recommendations of someone
relatively local who can help you.

Warranty in a bankruptcy case often puts you far down the line of creditors.

Good luck.

Old May 8th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Friday

Gina-Mirela Mustata wrote:
Hi,

I just found out the junction of top/down tubes with the bb shell on my
frame is cracked 90% through. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can
be welded together (safely since I race) or whether the frame should now
be scrapped? If there is no hope can I get some recommendations of
good/stiff frames (that are also reasonably priced - in college here) that
would ride similarly to Airborne/Flyte? This bike is a 2005 Zeppelin and
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the company? I tried their
website and then found out through another newsgroup that they went
belly-up. Does that basically mean that their lifetime warranty is now
void or is there something I can do about it? Even a partial monetary
replacement would help. How does warranty work with a bankruptcy case?

Thank you for any and all help.

Airborne got their frames made by Xcad.

Friday
Old May 8th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mrbubl

Gina-Mirela Mustata wrote:
Hi,

I just found out the junction of top/down tubes with the bb shell on my
frame is cracked 90% through. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can
be welded together (safely since I race) or whether the frame should now
be scrapped? If there is no hope can I get some recommendations of
good/stiff frames (that are also reasonably priced - in college here) that
would ride similarly to Airborne/Flyte? This bike is a 2005 Zeppelin and
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the company? I tried their
website and then found out through another newsgroup that they went
belly-up. Does that basically mean that their lifetime warranty is now
void or is there something I can do about it? Even a partial monetary
replacement would help. How does warranty work with a bankruptcy case?

Thank you for any and all help.

check in your area for someone that does aircraft repair, 2nd choice
would be welding supply, they can tell you who is buying the stuff that
can weld Ti. I had a frame repaired by a welding shop locally and the
weld looked and performed as new. It cost about $50.
Old May 8th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

Gina-Mirela Mustata wrote:
Hi,

I just found out the junction of top/down tubes with the bb shell on my
frame is cracked 90% through. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can
be welded together (safely since I race) or whether the frame should now
be scrapped? If there is no hope can I get some recommendations of
good/stiff frames (that are also reasonably priced - in college here) that
would ride similarly to Airborne/Flyte?

Sorry about your broken frame, but I think that you are SOL on warrantee
repair. If you are looking for a good, strong, stiff ti frame check out
Habanero, http://www.habcycles.com -- and tell Mark you got the pointer
here in r.b.t.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo Emerson