OT Irish history for the modern attention span

Old February 18th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default OT Irish history for the modern attention span

Further to our recent interesting discussion of the Famines in
Ireland, I decided to fill in the lucanae in my knowledge with a
comprehensive history. I found Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland
in 250 Episodes most illuminating and entertaining. This book is an
adaptation from a couple of years of daily 5-minute radio talks, so
you could call it history in (upmarket) sound bites. Lovely. Just what
I wanted. Bardon is a class act as an historian, and he clearly worked
with superior editors too, because my interest never flagged -- and my
attention span for anything that isn't first rate is about three
microns. He starts in prehistoric times and takes us right up to the
power-sharing agreement in Ulster. In 250 episodes he has time for the
telling human detail as well as the important historical event. Lots
of nice touches. Recommended to everyone as an example of how history
can be done painlessly. Essential reading for those with Irish
ancestors.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

Old February 18th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 18 Feb, 06:11, Andre Jute wrote:
Further to our recent interesting discussion of the Famines in
Ireland, I decided to fill in the lucanae in my knowledge with a
comprehensive history.

Hello Andre,
I thought I might point out a minor, though
interesting, mispelling in your text: a subtle alliteration, in fact.
Lucanae should read as lacunae.
More like a lack than a strike of luck.

Cheers

Sergio
Pisa
Old February 18th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 18, 7:45*am, sergio wrote:
On 18 Feb, 06:11, Andre Jute wrote:

Further to our recent interesting discussion of the Famines in
Ireland, I decided to fill in the lucanae in my knowledge with a
comprehensive history.

Hello Andre,
* * * * * * * * * I thought I might point out a minor, though
interesting, mispelling in your text: a subtle alliteration, in fact.
Lucanae should read as lacunae.
More like a lack than a strike of luck.

Cheers

Sergio
Pisa

A freudian slip: "No one who wasn't caned for declining his Latin can
possibly be properly educated. Harumph!" -- AJ
Old February 18th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JennyB

On Feb 18, 4:35*pm, Still Just Me wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:11:13 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute

wrote:
[...]

Is there a lot of information on leprechauns? I'm looking for some
factual research to help prove a hypothesis about Lucky Charms cereal.

Leprechauns do not exist, although they think they do
Leprechauns do not exist - they've better things to do.
Old February 19th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Further to our recent interesting discussion of the Famines in
Ireland, I decided to fill in the lucanae in my knowledge with a
comprehensive history. I found Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland
in 250 Episodes most illuminating and entertaining. This book is an
adaptation from a couple of years of daily 5-minute radio talks, so
you could call it history in (upmarket) sound bites. Lovely. Just what
I wanted. Bardon is a class act as an historian, and he clearly worked
with superior editors too, because my interest never flagged -- and my
attention span for anything that isn't first rate is about three
microns.

What are microns?

--
Michael Press
Old February 19th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Of course, I do not believe in leprechauns.
Don't have to, we are down at the pub playing darts on Thursdays.

--
Michael Press
Old February 19th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Further to our recent interesting discussion of the Famines in
Ireland, I decided to fill in the lucanae in my knowledge with a
comprehensive history. I found Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland
in 250 Episodes most illuminating and entertaining. This book is an
adaptation from a couple of years of daily 5-minute radio talks, so
you could call it history in (upmarket) sound bites. Lovely. Just what
I wanted. Bardon is a class act as an historian, and he clearly worked
with superior editors too, because my interest never flagged -- and my
attention span for anything that isn't first rate is about three
microns.

What are microns?

Micron, a micrometre, a unit of length in the metric system: one
millionth of a metre
Old February 20th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Peter Cole wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Further to our recent interesting discussion of the Famines in
Ireland, I decided to fill in the lucanae in my knowledge with a
comprehensive history. I found Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland
in 250 Episodes most illuminating and entertaining. This book is an
adaptation from a couple of years of daily 5-minute radio talks, so
you could call it history in (upmarket) sound bites. Lovely. Just what
I wanted. Bardon is a class act as an historian, and he clearly worked
with superior editors too, because my interest never flagged -- and my
attention span for anything that isn't first rate is about three
microns.

What are microns?

Micron, a micrometre, a unit of length in the metric system: one
millionth of a metre

No coaching.

--
Michael Press
Old February 27th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:
Micron, a micrometre, a unit of length in the metric system: one
millionth of a metre

Up until 1968. See the official SI website:
http://www.bipm.org/en/si/si_brochur...rminology.html
Old February 27th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Feb 18, 11:06*pm, Michael Press wrote:

What are microns?

Like a parsec, only smaller.

Attention span. Eccycycler Unicycling 14 November 18th 08 10:15 AM
What's the average life span of a brake pad? Chris Zacho The Wheelman Techniques 3 December 16th 04 04:14 AM
extending chain and chainset life span geepeetee General 5 August 18th 04 03:42 AM
(OT) Life span of tinyurls? Dan Daniel General 2 June 26th 04 07:28 AM
Road tire life span cheg Techniques 77 June 25th 04 06:44 AM