Nice Bike Industry Article

Old December 3rd 04, 01:27 PM
TBF::.

Default Nice Bike Industry Article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/

Old December 3rd 04, 02:19 PM
Ride-A-Lot

"The bikes that we're putting the Schwinn brand on and selling to
Wal-Mart are absolutely the best bikes that Wal-Mart has ever sold,"
Hornung said.

LOL! ROTFLMAO! I think a plastic Big Wheel lasts longer than one of
those Chinese Tinker Toys.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 3rd 04, 03:57 PM
Shawn

TBF::. wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/

Pretty grim, if you don't want to end up working for (and I mean *for*)
WalMart (China Mart?). I stopped shopping there a month ago.

Shawn
Old December 3rd 04, 04:08 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Shawn wrote:
TBF::. wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/

Pretty grim, if you don't want to end up working for (and I mean *for*)
WalMart (China Mart?). I stopped shopping there a month ago.

Shawn

It's kind of hard not to shop there anymore. It's too damn convenient
when you can walk to one from your house. Need a roll of TP? I'll just
scoot over to Wally World and pick it up. Be back in two minutes. Oh,
while you're there pick up some milk, dog food, and see if you can find
velcro. Just way too easy!

When I was at the CIO conference in Phoenix, I met the CIO of Wally
World. She said that they make so much money that if they were a
country, Walmart would be the fourth richest country in the world. Now
that's scary crap. BTW, not only do they bring in junk from China, they
also outsource 95% of there Information Technology development to India,
Pakistan, and yup... China!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 3rd 04, 05:34 PM
Pete

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
"The bikes that we're putting the Schwinn brand on and selling to Wal-Mart
are absolutely the best bikes that Wal-Mart has ever sold," Hornung said.

Yes they are, but 1% better than absolute crap is still crap.

Pete

Old December 3rd 04, 07:05 PM
green ride

And guess who gain the most benefits?
Not Chinese, not American labours...
Yup! capitalists.

Old December 3rd 04, 07:32 PM
bri719

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

It's kind of hard not to shop there anymore. It's too damn convenient
when you can walk to one from your house. Need a roll of TP? I'll
just scoot over to Wally World and pick it up. Be back in two
minutes. Oh, while you're there pick up some milk, dog food, and see
if you can find velcro. Just way too easy!

When I was at the CIO conference in Phoenix, I met the CIO of Wally
World. She said that they make so much money that if they were a
country, Walmart would be the fourth richest country in the world.
Now that's scary crap. BTW, not only do they bring in junk from
China, they also outsource 95% of there Information Technology
development to India, Pakistan, and yup... China!

I live within a dense suburban area, right next to a major airport (not
international, but major) and I'm not within a good 8 miles of a Wally
World. hell, I remember when they built that one about 3 years ago, saw
it pop up out of nowhere when I lived about 2.5 miles from the place.
used to go there occassionally, just to buy half a cart worth of goods
(paper towels, house cleaners, motor oil, cereal...occassionally go by
the hardware aisle) since it happened to be as close as a Tarjay and
wanted to check it out. mostly bought you know, just random
consumables. but hell, I haven't shopped there since I lived that close.

I thought everyone in the world that didn't live in the middle of
nowhere (or right next to a suburban Wal*Mart) shopped at a supermarket
and/or Target pretty much. and frankly I can recall going to said
Wal*Mart one of the three times I ever went there, looking at their
selection of chinese made hammers, and promptly going over to Lowe's by
my work the same week and buying a nicer, American made one for about $5
more. when's the next time I'll need to buy a hammer?? it should last
at least 20+ years from household use, right? might as well make it
count. wouldn't buy a chinese flashlight either. same deal (do Mag
Lites ever really wear out?).

but I was just thinking yesterday, and Target banned Salvation Army from
standing outside their store ringing a bell, depriving them of an
estimated $9M in revenue this year. now that's low..I know I'll see
them standing in front of the supermarket most likely, but still. and
it's not like Target has never ****ed me off from time to time, but it
still beats Wal*Mart and the crap they shelve every day. that IT
business only makes it worse.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old December 3rd 04, 07:43 PM
bri719

green ride wrote:

And guess who gain the most benefits?
Not Chinese, not American labours...
Yup! capitalists.

I'm sure Wally World hasn't "outsourced" (offshored) all of their
lawyers (legal dept.).... yet.

but you can be sure when they do, a whole lot more people will start to
sit up and take notice.

bri

Old December 3rd 04, 07:53 PM
DJ

green ride wrote:

And guess who gain the most benefits?
Not Chinese, not American labours...
Yup! capitalists.

Wow there, I have been labelled a commie for using kilometres rather than
miles, with ideas like these you could be the very ghost of Stalin.

DJ

Old December 3rd 04, 07:54 PM
Ride-A-Lot

bri719 wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

Before Target Corporation changed their name, they were Dayton Hudson.
Yes, the same failing high end department store company. Let's face it,
cheap goods (and Target has it's fair share) make money. However,
Target wants to have their cake and eat it too. They are trying to
position themselves above Walmart. Charities pandering for money send a
seedy message in their eyes.

When it comes to clothing and hard goods, I want to make sure they will
last me a while. I would take a good German made Bosch drill over a
Black and Sucker (I mean Decker) any day. I have no problem spending a
few more $$$ for something that will last me a bit longer.
--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Chain skipping Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 17 June 26th 04 12:56 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Racing 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM