Bus Lane green light for motorcycles

Old December 24th 11, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
The Older Gentleman[_3_]

Default Bus Lane green light for motorcycles

Sorry if this is a ginge:

"Transport for London (TfL) have announced that motorcycles will be able
to use bus lanes on the majority of London's Red Routes when the current
trial ends in January 2012.

Two 18 month trials showed that allowing motorcycles into bus lanes is
good for emissions and congestion, as well as helping riders get to work
quicker.

"The two trials have shown reduced journey times and environmental
benefits" said TfL's Ben Plowden.

The motorcycle industry has welcomed the announcement, which is the
successful culmination of over ten years close liaison between the Motor
Cycle Industry Association (MCI) and Transport for London and industry
support for the various trials which took place. MCI also developed a
specific code of practice for motorcyclists using bus lanes in
conjunction with TfL.

Some London boroughs, along with cities including Birmingham, Reading,
Bristol and Bath, already allow motorbikes and scooters to use bus
lanes. As Transport for London's own website says, "Benefits include
reduced journey times for motorcyclists and less carbon dioxide
emissions. The safety of motorcyclists and other vulnerable road users
is unaffected. It also helps achieve a key strand of the Mayor's
Transport Strategy – helping to smooth traffic flow".

Industry policy expert Craig Carey-Clinch said: "This is fantastic news
for motorcyclists, as using bus lanes safely can help reduce journey
times and take the stress out of commuting. Yet another reason to switch
to motorcycling for your regular commute.""

Excellent!

As an aside, I've witnessed four traffic accidents on my daily commute
this year. One was a scooter who locked up the front brake and threw his
hairdryer up the bus lane. The second and third were blue-on-blue
incidents involving cyclists sailing through red lights. The fourth was
a cyclist trying to get up the inside of a bus in a narrowing roadway,
who was lucky to escape with his life.

--
BMW K1100LT Honda CB400 Four Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki GN250, TS250ERx2
Old December 24th 11, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Andy B

The Older Gentleman wrote:

snip

As an aside, I've witnessed four traffic accidents on my daily commute
this year. One was a scooter who locked up the front brake and threw his
hairdryer up the bus lane. The second and third were blue-on-blue
incidents involving cyclists sailing through red lights. The fourth was
a cyclist trying to get up the inside of a bus in a narrowing roadway,
who was lucky to escape with his life.

I've snipped everything apart from the last paragraph which was the only
reason to x-post to the self propelled *******.
Old December 24th 11, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
ogden

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Sorry if this is a ginge:

"Transport for London (TfL) have announced that motorcycles will be able
to use bus lanes on the majority of London's Red Routes when the current
trial ends in January 2012.

Splendid. I did wonder what was going to happen with that, as the first
trial was considered inconclusive and the second was about to end.

--
ogden
Old December 24th 11, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling

Andy B wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:

snip

As an aside, I've witnessed four traffic accidents on my daily commute
this year. One was a scooter who locked up the front brake and threw his
hairdryer up the bus lane. The second and third were blue-on-blue
incidents involving cyclists sailing through red lights. The fourth was
a cyclist trying to get up the inside of a bus in a narrowing roadway,
who was lucky to escape with his life.

I've snipped everything apart from the last paragraph which was the only
reason to x-post to the self propelled *******.

Whilst we're doing this, I'd like to let those arrogant ****s[1] know
that since I'm expected to respect their space when on the road, that I
expect them to respect my space when they ride alongside the canal near
smith square/kingdom street.

I will force one of you bell-ringing-****s into the canal sooner or
later if you persist in trying to force me to move out of your way
because of your greater mass and velocity.

[1] Clearly not all cyclists but the ones that ring their bells and blow
their little wistles to force pedestrians out of their way.
Old December 24th 11, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
ogden

Phil W Lee wrote:

ogden considered Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:44:44 -0000 the
perfect time to write:

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Sorry if this is a ginge:

"Transport for London (TfL) have announced that motorcycles will be able
to use bus lanes on the majority of London's Red Routes when the current
trial ends in January 2012.

Splendid. I did wonder what was going to happen with that, as the first
trial was considered inconclusive and the second was about to end.

It's proof (as if any were actually needed) of the complete disregard
that so-called "consultation" is held in by TfL, as well as their
complete disdain for doing the job they are paid for and making the
roads safe for all users, at least when that includes cyclists.

Motorcycles may be allowed in bus lanes in some places, but they are
certainly not welcome.

I'm guessing you're one of those militant cyclists who wilfully forgets
that cyclists are guests in bus lanes too. Because that's what they are,
remember, bus lanes, not extra-wide cycle lanes that buses happen to
also be allowed to use.

--
ogden

Old December 24th 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Dec 24, 1:19*pm, wrote:
Andy *B wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:

snip

[...]

Do you prefer silent but deadly then?

In some ways the fact that you guys cannot but be horrendously noisy
makes it at least possible to share a lane with you. At least cyclists
and pedestrians can hear you. Sadly motorists in their armoured
cocoons seem so often to be deaf to your approaches.
Old December 24th 11, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Sorry if this is a ginge:

"Transport for London (TfL) have announced that motorcycles will

be able to use bus lanes on the majority of London's Red Routes
when the current trial ends in January 2012.

Splendid. I did wonder what was going to happen with that, as the
first trial was considered inconclusive and the second was about to
end.

It's proof (as if any were actually needed) of the complete disregard
that so-called "consultation" is held in by TfL, as well as their
complete disdain for doing the job they are paid for and making the
roads safe for all users, at least when that includes cyclists.

Motorcycles may be allowed in bus lanes in some places, but they are
certainly not welcome.

Why aren't they welcome? Who won't welcome them?

I'd guess motorcycles and bicycles using bus lanes are safer for both
than forcing them back into city traffic flows.

I'd also guess car drivers would also welcome it if only to get more
two-wheelers out of their way ..

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Old December 24th 11, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Andy B

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Sorry if this is a ginge:

"Transport for London (TfL) have announced that motorcycles will be able
to use bus lanes on the majority of London's Red Routes when the current
trial ends in January 2012.

Splendid. I did wonder what was going to happen with that, as the first
trial was considered inconclusive and the second was about to end.

It's proof (as if any were actually needed) of the complete disregard
that so-called "consultation" is held in by TfL, as well as their
complete disdain for doing the job they are paid for and making the
roads safe for all users, at least when that includes cyclists.

Motorcycles may be allowed in bus lanes in some places, but they are
certainly not welcome.

I think you'll find that the majority of car drivers are glad to have
them in the bus lane rather than filtering and the opinion of cyclists
will only count for something when they pay for the right to use the
roads.