Can drivers use snow and ice as an excuse if they kill someone?

Old February 9th 12, 12:58 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Can drivers use snow and ice as an excuse if they kill someone?

Doug wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:40 am, Peter Keller wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 07:59:17 -0800, McKevvy wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:49 am, Richard McKenzie
wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:26 am, Doug wrote:

Bearing in mind the large number of crashes and some resulting
deaths during the freeze, will those killer drivers be allowed to
get away with it? They were advised to stay at home but they
didn't have to.

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

You are supposed to drive as the road and conditions dictate. Do
you drive?

He only drives poeple on here up the wall with his no-stop anti
motorist crap.

McK.

Agreed.
I should be on his side. I am also against car dependency and pro
healthy economical eco-friendly low-carbon forms of transport. and
low- energy ways of living.
But I can never agree that a driver's licence is a licence to kill,
and I can never agree that motorized transport should be totally
outlawed.

I don't agree either that it should be totally outlawed. Instead I
believe it should be treated for what it is, a highly dangerous and
potentially lethal activity for which drivers should be held totally
responsible and punished accordingly, however pragmatic widespread
driving is seen to be.

Typically cyclists are often blamed for their own demise during a
crash and yet cyclists cannot kill drivers. It is the drivers who are
lethal not the cyclists.

Hence...

What about when cyclists kill pedestrians, do you agree that more serious
punishment, on a par with the sentences given to car drivers would be more
appropriate? Especially the loss of their right to use their vehicle on the
road?

Old February 9th 12, 03:40 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
AndyW

On 09/02/2012 07:56, Doug wrote:

Obviously train drivers on railways should be exempt from blame but
road drivers should not.

Methinks that Doug travels by train.

Andy

Old February 9th 12, 11:45 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 23:56:13 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

No it isn't.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old February 10th 12, 08:33 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Feb 9, 9:05*am, "The Todal" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Feb 8, 10:01 am, "The Todal" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:40 am, Peter Keller wrote:
I should be on his side. I am also against car dependency and pro
healthy economical eco-friendly low-carbon forms of transport. and
low- energy ways of living.
But I can never agree that a driver's licence is a licence to kill,
and I can never agree that motorized transport should be totally
outlawed.

I don't agree either that it should be totally outlawed. Instead I
believe it should be treated for what it is, a highly dangerous and
potentially lethal activity for which drivers should be held totally
responsible and punished accordingly, however pragmatic widespread
driving is seen to be.

What exactly is your alternative to driving? Walking everywhere?
Teleporting?

What is wrong with you? Can you only think in terms of black or
white?

Not at all. I can admire all the colours of your wind.

There's a very good alternative to moving about, and that's standing still.
Everyone should remain at home and wait for goods and services to be
delivered to each household.

That would be an improvement on the present mindless hypermobility. I
am convinced though that humans have an innate urge to roam, no doubt
inherited from our hunter gatherer origins, but it is enormously
amplified by the technology of cars and planes and it is this which
causes the present problem and dangers.

Harsher punishments would reduce the amount of driving and resulting
deaths but not eliminate it completely. Drivers would ask themselves,
"Is my journey really necessary?"

Or do you say that a bus driver or train driver should be punished
automatically if anyone is killed or injured by a bus or train?

Obviously train drivers on railways should be exempt from blame but
road drivers should not.

Lucky train drivers but bad luck for the drivers of buses and taxis because
if someone steps out in front of their vehicle, the driver must expect to be
fined or to go to prison. Gradually all driving on the roads will cease.

More of your black or white? No the result would be drivers driving
more carefully and slowly.

Will it be okay to be the driver of a horse-drawn vehicle, or will your
strict liability laws apply there as well?

Yep.

Trespassing on railways is illegal and train
drivers cannot be expected to slow down and be ready to stop for every
crossing. Maybe gated crossings should be replaced by bridges or
tunnels.

You've thought of everything. I can't fault you.

Thanks but I am sure I still must have missed something or other.

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.
Old February 11th 12, 03:33 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:33:12 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Bo it isn't

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.

Old February 11th 12, 08:56 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 11/02/2012 05:56, Doug wrote:
On Feb 11, 3:33 am, Peter wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:33:12 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is not a licence to kill, never has been.

Bo it isn't

Bes it is.

Jan 14 2012, 10:19 am

Of course a driving licence is not always a licence to kill but
sometimes it is treated as such.
Doug.

Old February 11th 12, 10:29 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 11/02/2012 05:56, Doug wrote:
On Feb 11, 3:33 am, Peter wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:33:12 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Bo it isn't

Bes it is.

He's behind you...

University
Old February 11th 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

On Feb 11, 3:33 am, Peter Keller wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:33:12 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Bo it isn't

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.

Sorry about being an hour late last night.
I will try and make it on time, sober and ready at 0300 sharp.
Although trollbustings seems to be busier during the times I am getting
paid.
Which is good of course.

--
Simon Mason.
Old February 12th 12, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 11/02/2012 21:32, Simon Mason wrote:
On Feb 11, 3:33 am, Peter Keller wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:33:12 -0800, Doug wrote:

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Bo it isn't

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.

Sorry about being an hour late last night.
I will try and make it on time, sober and ready at 0300 sharp.
Although trollbustings seems to be busier during the times I am getting
paid.
Which is good of course.

It's time to start the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

University