Lady cyclist feels threatened by cars.

Old May 21st 04, 02:22 PM
Simon Mason

Default Lady cyclist feels threatened by cars.

In todays' local paper:

ATTITUDE TOWARDS BIKES HAS GOT WORSE

09:30 - 21 May 2004
I Am writing concerning Howard Peel's letter "Don't blame cyclists for
deaths on the roads" (Mail, May 17)

I rode my bicycle for 48 years, then for the past three travelled by
car, but have recently gone back to cycling as I feel better for it.

I used to use a helmet, but no longer, as it's my arms and legs that
need protecting from irresponsible drivers who drive too close. They even
try to drive through the narrow islands with you.

If they cannot slow down they cross to the other side of the road to
pass the island.

At road humps, some cars slow down others fly through the air when
going over them.

It would seem some drivers' attitude towards bikes has got worse, but
why should I give up cycling?

There are some considerate drivers, but they are out-numbered by
irresponsible ones.

I don't know if it's because we don't pay road tax.

I am prepared to pay if it means drivers would be more considerate.

My son lives in the Netherlands where drivers have a lot more
consideration towards cyclists.

The police come down a lot harder on the inconsiderate drivers. Also,
the police ride about on mountain bikes all properly kitted out.

By writing this I hope it will make those bad drivers think the next
time they're passing a cyclist.

Mrs C Freelance,

Stroud Crescent West,

Bransholme.

Old May 21st 04, 02:56 PM
Nathaniel Porter

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Lady cyclist feels threatened by bad drivers.

I corrected your typo :-)

Old May 21st 04, 04:00 PM
Simon Mason

"Nathaniel Porter" wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Lady cyclist feels threatened by bad drivers.

I corrected your typo :-)

Yes - sorry.

Old May 21st 04, 04:20 PM
McBain_v1

I think we have all experienced the feeling of a wing-mirror bashing against you as some brainless cager tries to assert his manliness by driving too close

They ought to pass a law whereby cyclists who feel threatened b
motorists behaviour have a legal right to daube the offending vehicl
with luridly coloured paint that can only be removed by a specia
compound that the Police have :cool

The offender then has to explain how they came to have their ca
so daubed :

-

Old May 21st 04, 04:42 PM
Roos Eisma

McBain_v1 writes:

I think we have all experienced the feeling of a wing-mirror bashing against you as some brainless cager tries to assert his manliness by driving too close

They ought to pass a law whereby cyclists who feel threatened by
motorists behaviour have a legal right to daube the offending vehicle
with luridly coloured paint that can only be removed by a special
compound that the Police have

The offender then has to explain how they came to have their car
so daubed

You want one of those:

http://www.alarmsandstuff.co.uk/acat...neous.html#a21

Roos

Old May 21st 04, 05:03 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

McBain_v1 wrote:

I think we have all experienced the feeling of a wing-mirror bashing
against you as some brainless cager tries to assert his manliness by
driving too close

While amusingly put, this is actually a very serious point. The letter in
which Brian Walker discusses helmet efficacy was the result of a case where
a cyclist was tipped off her bike by a glancing contact with the wing mirror
of a car - another inch or two and the car would have missed.

The first reaction of the counsel for the insurers was that the bike must
have swerved because bikes "always" swerve.

His second reactionw as to try to turn it into a test case such that
insurers could always claim contributory negligence if the cyclist was not
wearing a helmet (and never mind the fact that the cause of the crash was a
driver passing too close).

In the end he failed in both these defences and the court found in favour of
the injured cyclist.

Ironically, according to Brian, this is one of an extremely small number of
crashes (I think he said two in 50 years!) he had come across where a helmet
almost certainly would have helped.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old May 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Tony Raven

McBain_v1 wrote:
I think we have all experienced the feeling of a wing-mirror bashing
against you as some brainless cager tries to assert his manliness by
driving too close

Have we? In an accident I had the driver's insurance company tried to claim I
had ridden into their wing mirror and knocked myself off. I actually tried on
a few parked cars cycling close enough to be able to hit the wing mirror. Its
pretty close to impossible to do and ergo the reverse is equally impossible.

Tony

Old May 21st 04, 05:33 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Simon Mason wrote:
In todays' local paper:

ATTITUDE TOWARDS BIKES HAS GOT WORSE

09:30 - 21 May 2004
I Am writing concerning Howard Peel's letter "Don't blame cyclists for
deaths on the roads" (Mail, May 17)

I rode my bicycle for 48 years, then for the past three travelled by
car, but have recently gone back to cycling as I feel better for it.

I used to use a helmet, but no longer, as it's my arms and legs that
need protecting from irresponsible drivers who drive too close. They even
try to drive through the narrow islands with you.

If they cannot slow down they cross to the other side of the road to
pass the island.

At road humps, some cars slow down others fly through the air when
going over them.

I would say that bad traffic calming (hey, most of it is bad, although
cameras in 20mph zones would be a good idea) is a major contributor.
Speed cushions in particular encourage cars to pass without moving out
from the kerb, because they have to be hit square-on to minimise the
jolt/suspecsion damage.
Old May 21st 04, 06:01 PM
AndyP

"McBain_v1" wrote

I think we have all experienced the feeling of a wing-mirror bashing

against you as some brainless cager tries to assert his manliness by driving
too close

Really? Has everyone else here been hit by a car at some time?

Old May 21st 04, 06:23 PM
[Not Responding]

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:01:26 +0100, "AndyP"
wrote:

"McBain_v1" wrote

I think we have all experienced the feeling of a wing-mirror bashing

against you as some brainless cager tries to assert his manliness by driving
too close

Really? Has everyone else here been hit by a car at some time?

Yes. Everyone *here* has.