Tearing rear wheel rims

Old January 4th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
steve

Default Tearing rear wheel rims

I just got the bad word that my rear rim has failed again. I have
ridden 14,000 miles on the bike and this will be the 3rd rim. I'm
told this is "normal". Is this true?
The rim is a 20 spoke "high performance" rim.

I use the bike for both commuting to work and recreational rides and a
very occasional Triathlon. The shop says they can build a new wheel for
$200 which will last "forever" or I can buy a new similar wheel
(~$150) that will fail every 6000 miles or so or I can by a cheaper
lower performance wheel that will again "last forever".

Any thoughts?
I'm inclined to have the wheel built

Steve G

Old January 5th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

steve wrote:
I just got the bad word that my rear rim has failed again. I have
ridden 14,000 miles on the bike and this will be the 3rd rim. I'm
told this is "normal". Is this true?

How did it "fail"? Did the spoke holes crack?

BTW... you can tell us the actual model... others might have experience
with the same rim.

Old January 5th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom_A

steve wrote:
I just got the bad word that my rear rim has failed again. I have
ridden 14,000 miles on the bike and this will be the 3rd rim. I'm
told this is "normal". Is this true?
The rim is a 20 spoke "high performance" rim.

I use the bike for both commuting to work and recreational rides and a
very occasional Triathlon. The shop says they can build a new wheel for
$200 which will last "forever" or I can buy a new similar wheel
(~$150) that will fail every 6000 miles or so or I can by a cheaper
lower performance wheel that will again "last forever".

Any thoughts?
I'm inclined to have the wheel built

Steve G

I'll wager that it's a Ritchey DS 20 spoke rear.

I'm ready for my 3rd rear rim replacement on one of those wheels. The
first time it was an entire section ripping out (noticed the day before
a 60 mile road race) and this second time it's cracking at the spoke
holes.

Anyone know where I can get a Velocity Deep V rim with a 20 spoke hole
count?

#1: We can be of more help if you name the offending product. Don't worry
about trying to protect their reputation; if it deserves protection, others
will come to its defense.

#2: How are these rims failing? Do either you or the shop have a theory for
why?

Thanks-

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

oups.com...

Old January 5th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee

Tom_A Wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

Velocity USA's web site says that 20H Deep V is available. What color
do you want? (Not all colors are available in all drillings).

--
daveornee

Old January 5th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom_A

daveornee wrote:
Tom_A Wrote:
I'll wager that it's a Ritchey DS 20 spoke rear.

I'm ready for my 3rd rear rim replacement on one of those wheels. The
first time it was an entire section ripping out (noticed the day
before
a 60 mile road race) and this second time it's cracking at the spoke
holes.

Anyone know where I can get a Velocity Deep V rim with a 20 spoke hole
count?

Velocity USA's web site says that 20H Deep V is available. What color
do you want? (Not all colors are available in all drillings).

--
daveornee

Black would be nice. The reason I ask is that I noticed that the ERD
for the 2 rims is almost identical and I could replace the offending
Ritchey rim with the Deep V without changing spokes...even though the
Ritchey is offset.

I've seen that listing on the Velocity site, but I haven't been able to
locate a source.

Thanks

Old January 5th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

Tom_A wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a Velocity Deep V rim with a 20 spoke hole
count?

Oddsandendos sells 30mm Niobium rims in 20h... don't know if the ERD
will work for you though. It's about 100g lighter than a Deep V...
maybe too light for the rear. But I'd like you to try them so you can
tell us how they hold up. Of course Deep Vs will be ok... but that is
boring...

Are those wheels radial on the NDS? Were the failures on the pulling
spokes?

Old January 5th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

steve wrote:
I just got the bad word that my rear rim has failed again. I have
ridden 14,000 miles on the bike and this will be the 3rd rim. I'm
told this is "normal". Is this true?
The rim is a 20 spoke "high performance" rim.

I use the bike for both commuting to work and recreational rides and a
very occasional Triathlon. The shop says they can build a new wheel for
$200 which will last "forever" or I can buy a new similar wheel
(~$150) that will fail every 6000 miles or so or I can by a cheaper
lower performance wheel that will again "last forever".

Any thoughts?
I'm inclined to have the wheel built

Steve G

No wheel 'lasts forever'. Even if it doesn't get wacked, dented, the
rim will wear out from braking. "Tearing" rear rims? What does this
mean, wearing out the sidewalls? It happens. About 5000 miles to wear
out a sidewall seems a little low to me unless you ride in the
junk/wet/dirt all the time.

If the hub is OK, why not rebuild the wheel?? Less than $150 for
sure-should be in the $90-$100 range, rim, labor(reuse spokes). Hubs,
when maintained well can last dern near forever.

Old January 5th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
steve

Ron Ruff wrote:
steve wrote:
I just got the bad word that my rear rim has failed again. I have
ridden 14,000 miles on the bike and this will be the 3rd rim. I'm
told this is "normal". Is this true?

How did it "fail"? Did the spoke holes crack?

BTW... you can tell us the actual model... others might have experience
with the same rim.

Sorry I don't know the wheel manufacturer (I will look tonight) but
the bike is a Specialized Allez Elite. The first time the rim failed
there was a large tear in the rim sidewall. This time it pulled out at
the spoke nipples.

Steve G

Old January 5th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee

I know a source of the 700C Velocity Deep V Black 20H for you @ $45 plus
shipping. dave at ornee dot net

--