Re Global Warming

Old November 26th 16, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Re Global Warming

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 20:55:43 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per John B Slocomb:
A simple reduction of cars to one per
family would significantly reduce both Usian family debt and carbon
emission.

How do you figure?

Two Cars: Johnny drives to school, parks, drives home

One Car: Mommy drives Johnny to schools, drives home, drives back to
school to pick Johnny up, drives home.... Double the trips,
double the gasoline.

One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school would little
Johnny so obese?

(The prevalence of obesity affects about 12.7 million children and
adolescents).
Old November 26th 16, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Per John B Slocomb:
A simple reduction of cars to one per
family would significantly reduce both Usian family debt and carbon
emission.

How do you figure?

Two Cars: Johnny drives to school, parks, drives home

One Car: Mommy drives Johnny to schools, drives home, drives back to
school to pick Johnny up, drives home.... Double the trips,
double the gasoline.

One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school would little
Johnny so obese?

(The prevalence of obesity affects about 12.7 million children and
adolescents).

In many areas today Little Jane and Little Johhny are prohibited from riding their bicycles to school and it's NOT the parents who are doing the prohibiting.

Cheers
Old November 26th 16, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per John B Slocomb:
One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school would little
Johnny so obese?

Around there, if Johnny rode his bike to school he would probably be
dead.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 26th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Per John B Slocomb:
A simple reduction of cars to one per
family would significantly reduce both Usian family debt and carbon
emission.

How do you figure?

Two Cars: Johnny drives to school, parks, drives home

One Car: Mommy drives Johnny to schools, drives home, drives back to
school to pick Johnny up, drives home.... Double the trips,
double the gasoline.

One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school would little
Johnny so obese?

(The prevalence of obesity affects about 12.7 million children and
adolescents).

In many areas today Little Jane and Little Johhny are prohibited from riding their bicycles to school and it's NOT the parents who are doing the prohibiting.

Cheers

The natural result in a society run by 'experts'. After they
run out of good ideas, they just can't stop.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 26th 16, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Per John B Slocomb:
A simple reduction of cars to one per
family would significantly reduce both Usian family debt and carbon
emission.

How do you figure?

Two Cars: Johnny drives to school, parks, drives home

One Car: Mommy drives Johnny to schools, drives home, drives back to
school to pick Johnny up, drives home.... Double the trips,
double the gasoline.

One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school would little
Johnny so obese?

(The prevalence of obesity affects about 12.7 million children and
adolescents).

In many areas today Little Jane and Little Johhny are prohibited from riding their bicycles to school and it's NOT the parents who are doing the prohibiting.

Because "Danger! Danger!" of course.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 26th 16, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/26/2016 9:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John B Slocomb:
One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school would little
Johnny so obese?

Around there, if Johnny rode his bike to school he would probably be
dead.

Where? And why?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 26th 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/26/2016 9:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/26/2016 9:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John B Slocomb:
One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school
would little
Johnny so obese?

Around there, if Johnny rode his bike to school he would
probably be
dead.

Where? And why?

In the mid-1990s my nieces had to stop riding the four
blocks to grammar school in Wauwatosa WI when the 'no bikes'
rule was imposed. Not the only case. I originally thought
that was a setup for some punch line. It wasn't.

Old November 26th 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
In many areas today Little Jane and Little Johhny are prohibited from riding their bicycles to school and it's NOT the parents who are doing the prohibiting.

Because "Danger! Danger!" of course.

But also because of people routinely driving 15-20 mph over the speed
limit on local roads with no shoulder, around blind corners, over blind
hills.... and so-on-and-so-forth. It really is a different situation
in some areas from what it was 50 years ago.

Sometimes I wonder what the net savings would be if townships created a
reasonably-safe environment for kids to bike to school and cut back on
the school buses..... dunno how it would play out in foul weather, but
back in the mid-fifties we *somehow* got to a school that was about 3
miles away from home..... Probably by, heaven forbid, walking....
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 26th 16, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
Where? And why?

Paoli Pa - about 23 miles West of Philadelphia.

- Motor vehicles routinely driving 15-20 mph
over posted limits

- Drivers routinely talking on cell phones,
texting, and even doing email while trying
to drive

- Blind corners, blind hills, no shoulder

- Consolidated school districts so that the school one
has to get to may be quite a few miles from home,
accessible only via roads with no shoulder and, in some places,
brush on the shoulder that is hollowed out by passing traffic.

My experience has been that:

- In some places roads and streets are built/designed
and maintained with zero regard for pedestrians/cyclists.

Around here, when the plow snow at a nearby corner, they
plow the snow up over the sidewalk creating 3-4' piles
of frozen slush/snow/road crud right where people would
normally be crossing that corner. Call the township,
and they could care less... and that attitude seems
to extend across the entire infrastructure.

- Some places, by chance or design, are cycling/pedestrian
-friendly. Others are suicidal. People who live
in one type of area sometimes have trouble understanding
people who live in another type of area.

I've ridden quite a bit for quite a long time. Maybe not the tens of
thousands of miles that some in this group have put in, but I've raced
traffic in Honolulu going from class-to-class at the University
of Hawaii for a few years I've raced rush hour traffic in
Philadelphia riding 23 miles round-trip to work in Center City for more
than a few years. I've ridden about 90 miles to the New Jersey shore
every weekend in season...

What I'm getting at is that I'm not exactly faint-of-heart
cycling-wise.... but it is still clear to me that some situations
unacceptably-dangerous to somebody on a bike

Maybe more than most people would want to know... but there it is.
-
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 26th 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 8:08:03 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/26/2016 9:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/26/2016 9:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John B Slocomb:
One can only ask. If Johnny walked or bicycled to school
would little
Johnny so obese?

Around there, if Johnny rode his bike to school he would
probably be
dead.

Where? And why?

In the mid-1990s my nieces had to stop riding the four
blocks to grammar school in Wauwatosa WI when the 'no bikes'
rule was imposed. Not the only case. I originally thought
that was a setup for some punch line. It wasn't.

IMO, bike bans are mostly the result of liability concerns. http://bikeportland.org/2009/08/19/n...the-rise-22560

-- Jay Beattie.

Global Warming and what you can do to against it .. Techniques 179 February 7th 10 12:51 AM
Global Warming and what you can do to against it .. General 2 December 21st 09 05:03 PM
Global Warming and what you can do to against it .. Racing 2 December 19th 09 12:04 AM
Global Warming Tom Kunich Racing 308 May 10th 08 03:54 PM
Global Warming Richard Bates UK 84 July 25th 04 11:58 PM