Sunday....

Old August 16th 03, 11:46 PM
Doesnotcompute

Default Sunday....

I shall be mostly seen in the Grizedale area of the Lake District with a
girly pal of mine. Riding the trails and generally making silly arses of
our selves

No plan, just a map, some food and drink and a tool kit.

Let you know how it goes some time after we recover!

Enjoy your Sunday rides wherever you are;

--

Dnc

Old August 17th 03, 10:46 PM
Doesnotcompute

doobrie wrote:

lets not have 'all' the details, p'lease! - is this the friend you
were going to cycle to?

Yes it is her, that failed for various reasons, this weekend being the
resultant "replanning".

well that was an *interesting* days cycling.

First of all - big BIG up to Coniston Mountain rescue team, and the
ambulance/accident and emergency services of Barrow in Furness.

Second up - to my ride partner - you did good in a potentially nasty
situation - you should get a gold star for braveness.

Having got there, kitted up and out on her chosen trail - the Hawkshead
Moor trail, a "demanding" 10 miler, off we went. We were doing well and
had plenty of fun down the hils and flats, with the views, and plenty of
pain on the climbs.

At some point shortly after we declared we should consider stopping for
lunch, she took a tumble, highsiding the bike. No idea why, just
cruising downhill (not hurtling), as far as I could tell the brakes
didn't lock up, she just went over the bars and hit the deck helmet first.

I then realise "****, she's in my path and I can't get round her".
I aim for her rear wheel which was warpped up by her lower legs and pray
for a perfect front up, rear up, hop. It turns out I managed it okay,
although in landing, trying to stop, turn and not lock the wheels all at
the same time I also hit the deck. Fortunately I lowsided the bike and
got up straightaway.

I scrabble back towards my ride partner, realising she's not
particularly conscious. Boy am I glad I've done several first aid
courses - this is not the first time they've proved useful. She came
round withing about 10 seconds (probably out for 20s in total). She was
dazed, confused and blurry vision. After checking her contacts lenses
were actually still in place I decided that was enough to dial three 9's.

Did all the usual first aid stuff whch I won't bore you with, needless
to say she went into shock pretty badly, so despite being in the blazing
sunshine she was soon wrapped up in jerseys and my ripstop waterproof.

Now there was only one problem. I had a trail map. I had the correct O/S
map. I can read an OS map AND use a compass. None of which is any good
if you don't have ANYTHING to take a bearing from. Nothing at all, no
pylons, no roads, no lakes, nothing obvious at all. I give a best
guestimate to the controller, promising to stop any passers and get a
better grid ref. Controller realises wherever we are, we're inside the
park and therefore the gates will be locked - mountain rescue will be
needed to get to us quickest and through the gates.

A passer by knows pretty much where we are so I give some much better
and entirely more accurate refs, which proved to be good enough to get
the team to us. Thanks to that passer by.

MTR team arrives, checks everything I've done, agrees, she's probably
fine (in terms of serious injury) but takes no chances, neck brace,
inflatable body brace, stretcher and away we go, bikes on the roof, kit
in the back and off down the fire roads to the awaiting amublance.

I realise by this time my right elbow hurts, and my whole forearm is
covered in vivid claret. Oh well at least I'm going to the best place!
and this really is the least of my concerns for now.

Ambulance tech. also agrees everything is ok, but won't take any
chances, so she's whizzed off to A and E at Barrow, some 20 odd minutes
away. MTR rescue give me a lift back to the visitor centre with the
bikes where I load up the car and get across to Barrow.

Summary, I have gravel rash, which will scar - merely an addition to a
collection. She has a couple of small but deep cuts, a lot of bruising
and not much else. This is good luck all round.

Her helmet is beyond use. I daren't even think "what if.."
Tomorrow we will both ache very much, but we'll be happy to be alive and
itching to get back out on the road sometime soon.

Many many thanks to all those that helped, I really hated calling them
out at Sunday lunchtime, but was very grateful that they existed. There
will be donations and thanks heading their way.

By the way, chlorohexidine, is the single most painful nasty stuff in
the world ever. I've broken bones, had 15 hours of tattooing, had body
piercings with 3 mm thick needles and other painful stuff, and none of
them compare to the pain that is Hibiscrubs finest applied with a
scrubbing brush. Even the lignocaine local anaesthesia didn't help with
that pain.

--
Dnc

Old August 18th 03, 08:55 AM
Philthy

First of all - big BIG up to Coniston Mountain rescue team, and the
ambulance/accident and emergency services of Barrow in Furness.

Total Kudo'ssic to you for your quick thinking & I hope you are all OK &
back on the trail soon. Glad to say my saturday trip round Pontop In county
durham went without incident.
Regards
Phil

Old August 18th 03, 10:20 PM
Doesnotcompute

Default Sunday.... (recovering nicely)

Philthy wrote:
First of all - big BIG up to Coniston Mountain rescue team, and the
ambulance/accident and emergency services of Barrow in Furness.

Total Kudo'ssic to you for your quick thinking & I hope you are all OK &
back on the trail soon. Glad to say my saturday trip round Pontop In county
durham went without incident.

Yeah we're okay. Battered and bruised, she's aching all over, me just
down the right hand side.

we're both 2nd day achers, so tomorrow will tell the tales for sure!

I had to keep reminding her that it "just one of those things" nobodies
fault, and that we could easily have been pedestrians and tripped,
joggers and fell, drivers and crashed - just life's way of waking us up.

I'll be back on the bike tomorrow morning on my way to work, she
promises me she'll be back on at the weekend.

Ride safe, and wear a helmet off road!

--
Dnc

Old August 18th 03, 11:31 PM
Mark South

"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message
Philthy wrote:
First of all - big BIG up to Coniston Mountain rescue team, and the
ambulance/accident and emergency services of Barrow in Furness.

Total Kudo'ssic to you for your quick thinking & I hope you are

all OK &
back on the trail soon. Glad to say my saturday trip round Pontop In

county
durham went without incident.

Yeah we're okay. Battered and bruised, she's aching all over, me just
down the right hand side.

May I recommend Nelson's Arnica cream here?

we're both 2nd day achers, so tomorrow will tell the tales for sure!

I had to keep reminding her that it "just one of those things"

nobodies
fault, and that we could easily have been pedestrians and tripped,
joggers and fell, drivers and crashed - just life's way of waking us

up.

Indeed. Fortunately with no long-term consequences.

I'll be back on the bike tomorrow morning on my way to work, she
promises me she'll be back on at the weekend.

Ride safe, and wear a helmet off road!

I can't understand why no-one has posted to say that the helmet was
actually the cause of the accident. They normally do.

Best wishes for recovery and easy healing
--
Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net
"I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are related with booze?"

Old August 18th 03, 11:34 PM
Doesnotcompute

Mark South wrote:

Yeah we're okay. Battered and bruised, she's aching all over, me just
down the right hand side.

May I recommend Nelson's Arnica cream here?

You can, although you'd be preacing to the converted. Along with some
Zinc/copper. I'll also be on the lookout for AloeVera gel ready for when
this initial dressing comes off.

Ride safe, and wear a helmet off road!

I can't understand why no-one has posted to say that the helmet was
actually the cause of the accident. They normally do.

I was actually wondering, if the fact she'd left her helmet at home, and
we took the risk (in money terms) of hiring a helmet might actually have
caused the accident in some "chaos theory" way.

Best wishes for recovery and easy healing

Many thanks

--
Dnc

Old August 19th 03, 09:58 AM
Ian

Doesnotcompute must be edykated coz e writed:

Sandy Morton wrote:
In article ,
Doesnotcompute wrote:

You can, although you'd be preacing to the converted. Along with some
Zinc/copper. I'll also be on the lookout for AloeVera gel ready for when
this initial dressing comes off.

AloeVera as a plant is surprisingly easy to grow - we have a very large,
and well used one, in the kitchen window.

Interesting to know, especially as the extract is usually expensive.
How do you use it in raw format? how much do you need to use?

Aloe grows as a weed in most of the Caribbean islands, it is quite easy to
grow here, although will not reach the height it does over there, to use it
the best solution is to cut off a leaf, split it down the thin edge and
apply the "wet" side directly to the skin, you can put in in the fridge and
it will be ok for a couple of days, and will be nice and cool when you put
it on.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Sunday Ride Richard Adams Rides 0 November 14th 03 06:45 PM
Sunday Mirror Robert Bruce UK 6 August 11th 03 02:13 PM