Koolstop Salmons vs Koolstop Blacks report

Old October 13th 04, 10:24 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default Koolstop Salmons vs Koolstop Blacks report

I put a pair of Koolstop salmons to replace worn Koolstop blacks. The
braking is pretty much identical, but if I had to choose, the salmons are
better, but almost imperceptibly.

To be honest, I was expecting a large increase in braking power, but I'm
guessing that Koolstop just makes their pads well in any color.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 13th 04, 10:27 PM
M. Chandler

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
I put a pair of Koolstop salmons to replace worn Koolstop blacks. The
braking is pretty much identical, but if I had to choose, the salmons are
better, but almost imperceptibly.

To be honest, I was expecting a large increase in braking power, but I'm
guessing that Koolstop just makes their pads well in any color.

Compare them in wet/damp conditions and the Salmons should give
noticeably better braking.

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO

Old October 13th 04, 10:42 PM
G. Huang

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I put a pair of Koolstop salmons to replace worn Koolstop blacks. The
braking is pretty much identical, but if I had to choose, the salmons are
better, but almost imperceptibly.

To be honest, I was expecting a large increase in braking power, but I'm
guessing that Koolstop just makes their pads well in any color.

I have also used both and didn't find one color better than the other. I
remember the discussion a while ago on the color of tires, and the
majority conclusion seem to be that the red (or green) tires were no
better than black ones. I assume this also applies to the brake pads.
GH

Old October 13th 04, 11:16 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
I put a pair of Koolstop salmons to replace worn Koolstop blacks. The
braking is pretty much identical, but if I had to choose, the salmons
are better, but almost imperceptibly.

To be honest, I was expecting a large increase in braking power, but
I'm guessing that Koolstop just makes their pads well in any color.

I don't know about the differences in colour, but koolstop salmon pads
stopped my v-brakes squealing when I had tried everything else, like
cleaning the rims, adjusting the pads, tightening down the cantilevers,
sanding the pads, switching to new pads (shimano, tektro, norco, some
others). I was at the end of my rope and about to buy new brakes.

since then I've had competent squeal-free braking in all kinds of weather,
and the pads and rims are doing fine. What more could I ask for?

Old October 13th 04, 11:17 PM
gwhite

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:

I put a pair of Koolstop salmons to replace worn Koolstop blacks. The
braking is pretty much identical, but if I had to choose, the salmons are
better, but almost imperceptibly.

To be honest, I was expecting a large increase in braking power, but I'm
guessing that Koolstop just makes their pads well in any color.

In dry conditions, the blacks seem a good deal better.

Old October 13th 04, 11:53 PM
Terry Morse

G. Huang wrote:

I have also used both and didn't find one color better than the other. I
remember the discussion a while ago on the color of tires, and the
majority conclusion seem to be that the red (or green) tires were no
better than black ones. I assume this also applies to the brake pads.

The salmon pads are better than the black ones, mainly because they
don't eat rims.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html