PC-48 Bye Bye!

Old June 29th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Default PC-48 Bye Bye!

Broke my second SRAM PC-48 bike chain yesterday coming home
from work. Broke the previous one about 2 months ago I
think. Ironically, the first broken PC-48 occurred climbing
a hill on the way to work and yesterday, the PC-48 broke
climbing the back side of same hill on my way home from work.

Swung by the LBS at the top of the hill in beautiful downtown
Amherst, MA to buy a new PC-48 w/ spare master link and the
owner said they don't sell that model chain anymore. I'd
have to get a PC-58 or better.

The fellow said they'd been having lots of problems with that
chain breaking. Just too cheap a chain and they wouldn't sell
it any more.

So I think I'm done with the PC-48 now. It's PC-58 for the
mountain bikes and PC-68 for the road bikes.

Anyone else hear anything about PC-48 chain failures? Until
this year, I'd always considered it a pretty good chain for
the money.

SMH
Old June 29th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Anyone else hear anything about PC-48 chain failures? Until
this year, I'd always considered it a pretty good chain for
the money.

SMH

SMH:

I was on a little ride out to Forestville and back on the trail when a
guy caught up to me and asked me if I knew anything about derailleurs.
He apparently was having trouble with it moving either up or down when
out of the saddle. Hmm seems like a really sloppy changer.
(Specialized something/SRAM Rival group) We looked at the bike and
checked function and I failed to notice the chain. I say failed to
notice as it wasn't one more mile when his chain failed. I don't know
what type of SRAM it was but just wanted to say I have logged an SRAM
chain failure. I've been riding and racing for years and years and
haven't noticed too very many outright chain failures. Stiff links for
sure but that's more installer error if you ask me. Not that I'm in
the business of plugging companies but I've really liked the Wipperman
chains for the tool-free install.

-Rick

Old June 30th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Stephen Harding wrote:

So I think I'm done with the PC-48 now. It's PC-58 for the
mountain bikes and PC-68 for the road bikes.

Anyone else hear anything about PC-48 chain failures? Until
this year, I'd always considered it a pretty good chain for
the money.

I've heard, to the contrary, that the only differnce between the various
grades of SRAM chain is the polish or plating on the side plates, which
does not improve its strength.

--

David L. Johnson

Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of business.