Stretching SIDI shoes?

Old October 9th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul A. Steckler

Default Stretching SIDI shoes?

My feet are of normal width, except in the toes, which are pretty wide. I
have a pair
of SIDI Genius 5 Mega's, which are actually pretty loose, except in the toe
box.
In fact, even the Mega's are too snug in the toes. On long rides on hot
days, my feet
swell and my big toes get numb and painful. I'd like to stretch the toe
box, which
I believe would alleviate the problem.

The Lorica material used in the SIDI uppers is advertised as not stretching.
OK,
but can I have the material stretched intentionally by a cobbler? I seen a
post on
the Web that heating the Lorica allows it to be stretched. Can anyone
confirm that
this method, or any other method, can be used to stretch Lorica?

-- Paul

Old October 9th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D T W .../\\...

http://www.sidiusa.com/
--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Old October 9th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Paul A. Steckler wrote:
[...]

they stetch when they get wet-perhaps dip the toebox in some water
before you go out for a ride

Old October 9th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul A. Steckler

"D T W .../\..." wrote in message

http://www.sidiusa.com/

Ummm, the information on this site just says that Lorica "will not stretch",
which I take to mean that it won't do so under ordinary conditions. My
question was whether there is extraordinary means, like heating, that will
allow the material to stretch.

-- Paul

Old October 9th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul A. Steckler

wrote in message
oups.com...
they stetch when they get wet-perhaps dip the toebox in some water
before you go out for a ride

I've done lots of rides in the rain, and the shoes don't seem to have
changed
their fit.

-- Paul

Old October 9th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:55:58 -0700, Paul A. Steckler wrote:

My feet are of normal width, except in the toes, which are pretty wide. I
have a pair
of SIDI Genius 5 Mega's, which are actually pretty loose, except in the toe
box.
In fact, even the Mega's are too snug in the toes. On long rides on hot
days, my feet
swell and my big toes get numb and painful. I'd like to stretch the toe
box, which
I believe would alleviate the problem.

The Lorica material used in the SIDI uppers is advertised as not stretching.
OK,
but can I have the material stretched intentionally by a cobbler? I seen a
post on
the Web that heating the Lorica allows it to be stretched. Can anyone
confirm that
this method, or any other method, can be used to stretch Lorica?

I don't think there's any practical way to stretch Sidi shoes. Carnac was
always known for a wide toe box, at least with their MTB shoes, so you
might try those. Or custom, which is expensive, but worth it if you can't
get a good fit otherwise. People spend $500 on much stupider things.

Matt O.
Old October 9th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Paul A. Steckler wrote:
My feet are of normal width, except in the toes, which are pretty wide. I
have a pair
of SIDI Genius 5 Mega's, which are actually pretty loose, except in the toe
box.
In fact, even the Mega's are too snug in the toes. On long rides on hot
days, my feet
swell and my big toes get numb and painful. I'd like to stretch the toe
box, which
I believe would alleviate the problem.

Hmm, I've noticed my Sidi's seeming to get loose during rides,
requiring a few clicks on the strap ratchet to stay snug as when I put
them on before the ride. Some info, including from Sidi IMS, indicates
that Lorica stretches slightly when warm. No advisement on
melting/burning temp.

Sidi shoes in half sizes are wider in the toe area than the next lower
full size. If you're not already there, maybe that would be a way to be
able to use these shoes. --D-y

Old October 9th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul A. Steckler

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sidi shoes in half sizes are wider in the toe area than the next lower
full size. If you're not already there, maybe that would be a way to be
able to use these shoes. --D-y

Golly, I'm already at size 49. These are already a bit too long, and
there's no size 49.5. The size 50's might be OK in the toebox, but I'd be
afraid the shoes'd fall off!

-- Paul

The Effects of Hiking Shoes on Wildlife and People -- [email protected] Mountain Biking 3 June 1st 06 04:46 PM
New Sidi shoes Chris M Techniques 0 September 13th 05 11:07 PM
WTT: Sidi Energy Shoes for SPD-SL Pedals tlarwa Marketplace 0 July 24th 05 09:39 PM
Noise from Sidi Dominator shoes? B. B. Kosicki Techniques 3 July 21st 05 06:51 AM
FS: Sidi Ergo Carbon Mesh road shoes, 46.5 Chip Atkins Marketplace 0 July 16th 04 01:01 AM