The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

Old April 19th 09, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

Simon Mason wrote:

wrote in message

There have recently been some less than honest posts (again) by Guy
Chapman - this time concerning the British Medical Association (BMA)
policy of Promoting Safe Cycling.

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two
pints of beer a day, which is tosh as well.

IIRC wasn't there a recent admission that the "safe" numbers of alcohol
units was just plucked out of the air, because it sounded about right?

Why do people keep listening the these body technicians and mistake
their declarations for science?
Old April 19th 09, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Marc" wrote in message

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two pints
of beer a day, which is tosh as well.

IIRC wasn't there a recent admission that the "safe" numbers of alcohol
units was just plucked out of the air, because it sounded about right?

Why do people keep listening the these body technicians and mistake their
declarations for science?

Because some people are in awe of someone who has a few letters after their
name, instead of using their own brain.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 19th 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:27:06 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

There have recently been some less than honest posts (again) by Guy
Chapman - this time concerning the British Medical Association (BMA)
policy of Promoting Safe Cycling.

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two pints of
beer a day, which is tosh as well.

I am sure you are probably right - however I have not seen that - can
you give a reference please?

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 19th 09, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:35:02 +0100, Marc
wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

wrote in message

There have recently been some less than honest posts (again) by Guy
Chapman - this time concerning the British Medical Association (BMA)
policy of Promoting Safe Cycling.

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two
pints of beer a day, which is tosh as well.

IIRC wasn't there a recent admission that the "safe" numbers of alcohol
units was just plucked out of the air, because it sounded about right?

Why do people keep listening the these body technicians and mistake
their declarations for science?

Perhaps because they have relevant training and qualifications - just
like the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation - oh - sorry I got that
wrong - they are just a bunch of charlatans.

Old April 19th 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two pints
of
beer a day, which is tosh as well.

I am sure you are probably right - however I have not seen that - can
you give a reference please?

Sure
http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/Iop/PRT/sensible.htm
The sensible drinking message set out in the Lord President's Report on
Alcohol Misuse in 1991 was adopted by the Health of the Nation in 1992. This
promoted the simple message that drinking less than 21 units of alcohol per
week for men and 14 units for women was unlikely to damage health. The
targets set were a reduction in the percentage of men drinking more than 21
units per week from 28% in 1990 to 18% in 2005 and of women drinking more
than 14 units per week from 11% in 1990 to 7% in 2005.

Two years later despite a lack of progress towards these targets, and in
response to a parliamentary question in April 1994, the Government
established an inter-departmental working group. Its purpose was to review
the sensible drinking message in light of possible evidence for a
cardiovascular protective effect afforded by alcohol. Their deliberations
produced the 1995 report entitled 'Sensible Drinking'. In the report they
concluded that daily benchmarks could help individuals decide how much to
drink on single occasions and therefore enable them to avoid episodes of
intoxication with their attendant health and social risks.

Their advice being that the health benefit from drinking related to men aged
over 40 and that the major part of this benefit could be obtained at levels
as low as one unit a day, with the maximum health advantage lying between 1
and 2 units a day. The report went on to state that "regular consumption of
between 3 and 4 units a day by men of all ages will not accrue significant
health risk and consistently drinking 4 or more units a day is not advised
as a sensible drinking level because of the progressive health risk it
carries". As regards females, the health benefit from drinking related to
postmenopausal women with the major part of this benefit being obtained at
levels as low as one unit a day, the maximum health advantage lying between
1 and 2 units a day.

The report stated that "regular consumption of between 2 and 3 units a day
by women of all ages will not accrue any significant health risk and
consistently drinking 3 or more units a day is not advised as a sensible
drinking level because of the progressive health risk it carries". The
significance of the additional 'any' in the recommendation for women is not
clear and has not received any specific comment. In effect this raised the
sensible drinking limits to a maximum of almost 28 units per week for men
and almost 21 units per week for women. These new benchmarks represented a
50% rise on the previous upper limit for women and a 33% increase for men.

In April 1995 the BMA (British Medical Association) responded with the
recommendation that the sensible drinking limits of 21 units per week for
men and 14 units per week for women should not be relaxed, a position with
which the royal colleges of physicians, psychiatrists, and general
practitioners concur. The conflicting reports concerning sensible drinking
in Britain illustrate that there is no consensus on what is a sensible level
of alcohol consumption, and as a result, there is an inconsistent and
confused public health message.

Old April 19th 09, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

Default The BMA Promote Cycle Helmet Use

Misleading subjectline corrected

Old April 19th 09, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

Default The BMA Promote Cycle Helmet Use to make Cycling Safer

Old April 19th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:11:26 +0100,
Simon Mason wrote:

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two pints
of
beer a day, which is tosh as well.

I am sure you are probably right - however I have not seen that - can
you give a reference please?

Sure
http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/Iop/PRT/sensible.htm
The sensible drinking message set out in the Lord President's Report on
Alcohol Misuse in 1991 was adopted by the Health of the Nation in 1992.

The initial figure was plucked out of the air in 1987 due to "a feeling
that you had to say something" according to Richard Smith a member of
Royal College of Physicians who was on the committee that came up with
the number. Googling alcohol "plucked out of the air" gets lots of
newspaper columns on this.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old April 19th 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Andy Leighton" wrote in message
The initial figure was plucked out of the air in 1987 due to "a feeling
that you had to say something" according to Richard Smith a member of
Royal College of Physicians who was on the committee that came up with
the number. Googling alcohol "plucked out of the air" gets lots of
newspaper columns on this.

Well, I've drunk 100-120 units a week for 30 years, so I must be due to die
very soon!

Old April 19th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Default The BMA Recycle BeHIT Bull****

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 06:31:31 -0700 (PDT), francis
wrote:

Misleading subjectline corrected
Francis

Ditto :-)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.

Cycling is safer with LANCE gone [email protected] Racing 4 July 14th 08 08:17 AM
Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or... The Nottingham Duck UK 54 September 23rd 05 06:33 AM
Safer Helmet Tilly UK 1 June 17th 05 12:07 PM
MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 03:58 AM
Bridelways now safer Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 July 29th 03 06:59 PM