adjustable length cranks

Old June 9th 16, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default adjustable length cranks

On Monday, March 12, 2001 at 12:50:36 PM UTC-6, Heather Murray wrote:
i would like to have comments from people interested in adjustable length
cranks. how would you like to be able to match your crank length to leg
length in seconds or adjust them individually to accommodate leg length
discrepancy or again adjust them to accommodate different disciplines
without having to change cranks, chainrings, etc.

Graeme

Old June 10th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/9/2016 11:11 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 12:42:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, March 12, 2001 at 12:50:36 PM UTC-6, Heather Murray wrote:
i would like to have comments from people interested in adjustable length
cranks. how would you like to be able to match your crank length to leg
length in seconds or adjust them individually to accommodate leg length
discrepancy or again adjust them to accommodate different disciplines
without having to change cranks, chainrings, etc.

Graeme

There are formula that equate crank arm length to leg length, but on a
practical level the "standard" lengths seem to suit most riders. And,
I do note that the majority of the claims that crank length is super
important seem to come from places that provide "fitting services".

Sheldon Brown, who was a pretty conservative writer, wrote an article
about crank lengths. See
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

Naturally, this point has been discussed here before. I recall seeing
data showing that power output is nearly independent of crank length.
But that doesn't mean crank length makes no difference. I imagine
excessively long cranks could affect one's knees, for example.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 10th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Wasn't there a guy, 36 something, was his pen name I think, that
talked a lot about crank length? I think he was trying to reach some
very high pedal cadence. I seem to remember discussion of 160mm crank
arms.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 13th 16, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: wrote:
:
[...]

When I rebuilt my beater bike, I put a set of 165mm cranks on it.
They came out of a buddy's junk box, and were free.... After a week,
I bought a crank with 180mm arms...

--
sig 95
Old June 14th 16, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

: wrote:
:
[...]

As the English Folk say, it is "horses for courses". The "normal crank
length is 170mm for road bikes and 175 for MTBs and my guess is that
the vast majority of bicycle riders never notice the difference :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

adjustable length cranks [email protected] Techniques 0 January 6th 15 10:02 PM
Adjustable cranks monotim Unicycling 25 June 11th 07 09:58 PM
Adjustable Cranks semach.the.monkey Unicycling 8 June 6th 07 05:33 PM
ADJUSTABLE CRANK LENGTH (Coker, etc) trailguy Unicycling 17 April 28th 05 10:50 PM
Adjustable Cranks nathan Unicycling 3 March 19th 04 09:54 PM