Another Cyclist Fatality (in Canada)

Old May 14th 05, 11:08 AM
Gags

Default Another Cyclist Fatality (in Canada)

The other night I decided to have a look at www.trailheadlights.com as I
remembered it was a guy in Canada who made some pretty cool carbon fibre
light mounts. I went to the "order online" page to have a look at prices
and found that the guy who owns the site (Duane) has had his 20 y.o. son
Kyle killed whilst cycling. From the sounds of things, the guy driving the
car has shown no remorse even though he was 100% to blame (sounds
familiar??)

I sent Duane an email with my condolences and some details about the recent
case with Eugene McGee and the subsequent "Wheels for Justice" rides. I
also asked his permission to post the link to the page about his son in this
forum. Duane said it was OK and below is the direct link to the page and an
extract from his email....

http://www.mokahousekills.com/

email from Duane
Thank you for your kind note. You have my permission to spread the word
about this with the aim of getting bicycles accepted as road users and
encouraging people to take responsibility for their actions.

The driver that killed Kyle is being charged with "driving with undue care
and attention". Even causing death this usually seems to bring a fine of
around $500. In spite of this and the fact that police and insurance have
determined him to be 100% at fault the driver refuses to take
responsibility. He has requested and been given several continuances, the
latest so he can engage an engineering firm to analyze the "accident". Our
only consolation in having this dragged out is that weasel lawyers will be
costing him thousands.

Ride safe
Duane

I think I am pretty safe in saying that as a group, our thoughts are with
you Duane.

Ride On,

Gags