A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need advice on bottom bracket repair



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 8th 17, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair


Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA
  #2  
Old January 8th 17, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,202
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:33:29 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:


Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


What I've had some success with in cases similar to yours, was, after
soaking the threads with a penetrating oil, to twist the thing as far
as you can, without trying too hard to break it, and than back tight,
than loosen and back tight. Hopefully each time it will turn a little
bit further.

--
cheers,

John B.

  #3  
Old January 8th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 19:12:56 +0700,
John B wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:33:29 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:


Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


What I've had some success with in cases similar to yours, was,
after soaking the threads with a penetrating oil, to twist the
thing as far as you can, without trying too hard to break it,
and than back tight, than loosen and back tight. Hopefully each
time it will turn a little bit further.


Thanks! Guess I'll pick up some penetrating oil and keep after
it.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA
  #4  
Old January 8th 17, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,270
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA


If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".

Cheers
  #5  
Old January 8th 17, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,011
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA


If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".

Cheers


https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com
  #6  
Old January 8th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 07:42:55 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it
yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".



https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

Thanks guys, but I need to get the adjustable cup off before I
could use Sheldon's tool on the fixed cup.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA
  #7  
Old January 8th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,345
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 8:48:56 AM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 07:42:55 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it
yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".



https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

Thanks guys, but I need to get the adjustable cup off before I
could use Sheldon's tool on the fixed cup.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA


Ted, I don't quite follow. You are talking about using a pin spanner and then say that you need to get the adjustable cup off first. Isn't that what we were talking about? The lock nut on the adjustable side and the fixed cup do not use pin spanners as far as I know.
  #8  
Old January 8th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:56:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 8:48:56 AM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 07:42:55 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it
yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".



https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

Thanks guys, but I need to get the adjustable cup off before I
could use Sheldon's tool on the fixed cup.


Ted, I don't quite follow. You are talking about using a pin
spanner and then say that you need to get the adjustable cup
off first. Isn't that what we were talking about? The lock nut
on the adjustable side and the fixed cup do not use pin
spanners as far as I know.


Sorry. I have the lock ring off on the left, non-drive side, and
am left with an adjustable cup that will only turn partway. The
fixed cup is still in place too (on the other side), so the
spindle is in place and blocks putting in the bolt and nut that
Sheldon describes.

For what it's worth, the fixed cup also seems to be pretty stuck.
It's an aluminum frame, so presumably the shell is aluminum too
and there may be some corrosion in the interface between the two
different metals of the shell and the cups?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA
  #9  
Old January 8th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,345
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 6:33:31 PM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


Ted, it all depends on what confidence you have in your mechanical ability and if you're dumb enough, strike that, willing to buy a tool that you're probably never going to use again.

http://tinyurl.com/hcds8af

This is NOT a magic bullet and as john has recommended you have have to work it back and forth until you finally free it.

The modern sealed bottom brackets with the spline is a whole not easier to install and remove.
  #10  
Old January 8th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:05:28 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 6:33:31 PM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom
bracket in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop
severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but
the adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter
turn, but then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no
flats for a wrench instead having holes for turning with a pin
spanner--so I'm unable to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for
me?


Ted, it all depends on what confidence you have in your
mechanical ability and if you're dumb enough, strike that,
willing to buy a tool that you're probably never going to use
again.

http://tinyurl.com/hcds8af

This is NOT a magic bullet and as john has recommended you have
have to work it back and forth until you finally free it.


Turns out I already had this type of tool--didn't remember it,
because it's been a *long* time since I used it last. I was able
to get it turned a bit farther with this rigid piin spanner, but
unfortunately, I broke one of the pins in trying. Too bad I
didn't see your caution first. I will see if my LBS has the
replacemennt pins.

As an aside, the Park SPA-1 (that Sheldon also recommends) came
first to my mind, because I use it periodically to adjust the
eccentrics on both of my tandems.


The modern sealed bottom brackets with the spline is a whole not
easier to install and remove.


I intend to replace the whole mess with a sealed cartridge BB, if
I can only get the old hardware out.

Thanks for the good advice!

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA
I can get the old hardware out!
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bottom bracket advice [email protected] UK 0 November 12th 07 03:36 PM
bottom bracket advice Ben Fitzgerald UK 12 December 9th 05 10:45 AM
Bottom bracket advice [email protected] Techniques 0 June 28th 05 03:41 PM
Bottom Bracket/General Frustration advice please? Saint UK 9 April 12th 04 12:11 AM
advice sought on bottom bracket NC UK 7 August 8th 03 06:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.