Look pedals falling apart

Old August 1st 17, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Look pedals falling apart

On 01/08/17 08:38, wrote:

Isn't the "Max" the one with the small bolt on the outside of the
pedal? I had a couple of the original Shimano Delta Cleat pedals
unscrew like Duane was talking about but the Look Delta pedals never
did that. Perhaps they have reverse threaded left pedal lock.

No Tom. There is no small bolt on the outside of the pedal.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/look-keo-2-max-pedals/

--
JS
Old August 1st 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 01/08/17 13:02, James wrote:
On 01/08/17 08:38, wrote:

Isn't the "Max" the one with the small bolt on the outside of the
pedal? I had a couple of the original Shimano Delta Cleat pedals
unscrew like Duane was talking about but the Look Delta pedals never
did that. Perhaps they have reverse threaded left pedal lock.

No Tom. There is no small bolt on the outside of the pedal.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/look-keo-2-max-pedals/

Unless you meant for the spring loaded clip pivot? There is that, but
that has nothing to do with holding the pedal body on to the axle.

--
JS
Old August 1st 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:01:10 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 31/07/2017 9:44 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:58:01 -0400, Duane
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a ride in New York where I had to carry
the bike on my roof rack. I got it set up and went to clip in but my
right pedal was missing. Luckily, I found it on the ground. It came
apart where the pedal attaches to the spindle. Look Keo 2. I had never
seen this. Typically I think pedals tighten with use. Anyway, I put
some locktite on it and didn't think about it.

Yesterday during a ride it happened to the guy in front of me. Same
thing. Came loose at the spindle. His pedals were Keo Classics. I was
wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Seems like an odd failure.

Are you saying that the pedal "body", for want of a better word, came
off the pedal spindle but the spindle itself was still in the crank
arm? Or that the whole pedal, spindle and all, came off?

I've known both to happen, in fact losing the pedal body and being
left with only the spindle sticking out is not that uncommon on
department store bikes, the really low end ones. I saw some on sale
the other day, 26" Ladies Model, single speed, with rear carrier and
front basket... and a kick stand, for US$ 35.00. Take two and you get
a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

The first and last Look pedals I had was years ago now but looking at
the parts on the web it appears that the pedal body screws onto the
pedal axle, which is made in left and right hand threads to screw into
the crank arms.

Are the threads where the pedal body screws onto the pedal axle both L
& R threads also? But regardless your fix of a dose of loctite is
probably the best solution.

I did find a youtube showing how to grease the look pedals but it
didn't seem to make note of whether the pedal axle to body threads
were right or left hand threads although they did mention that one had
to be careful when assembling the pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVBoFjD-Fk
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 1st 17, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
[...]

The pedal body screws onto the spindle. The whole assembly screws into
the crank. In my case the pedal came loose from the spindle but the
spindle was still attached to the crank.

https://www.lookcycle.com/en/pedale/...-2-max-carbon/

You can see from the picture the threads that attach to the crank. The nut
just next to the Look lettering attaches the pedal body to the spindle.
This is what came loose.

--
duane
Old August 1st 17, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
[...]

I had wondered whether the right and left pedal bodies had right and
left threads where they screw onto the pedal axle. I know that the
axle has R & L threads where they screw into the crank arms but
couldn't find anything about the body and axle join.

We drove back from Korat, a city in central Thailand last Saturday and
when we stopped for lunch we parked next to a car with two bikes on
the top. I noticed that both bikes had the handle bars, the saddles,
and the pedals all wrapped with what looked like scrap cloth which was
tied on with twine.

Maybe pedals do come off when exposed to the wind as someone suggested
:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 1st 17, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
[...]

They do.

We drove back from Korat, a city in central Thailand last Saturday and
when we stopped for lunch we parked next to a car with two bikes on
the top. I noticed that both bikes had the handle bars, the saddles,
and the pedals all wrapped with what looked like scrap cloth which was
tied on with twine.

Acid rain?

Maybe pedals do come off when exposed to the wind as someone suggested
:-)

I thought that was a possibility until it happened to the guy in front
of me Sunday. He doesn't have a roof rack and anyway we were 40k into
the ride.

Old August 1st 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:02:15 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 01/08/17 08:38, wrote:

Isn't the "Max" the one with the small bolt on the outside of the
pedal? I had a couple of the original Shimano Delta Cleat pedals
unscrew like Duane was talking about but the Look Delta pedals never
did that. Perhaps they have reverse threaded left pedal lock.

No Tom. There is no small bolt on the outside of the pedal.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/look-keo-2-max-pedals/

JS - here is what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-KEO-QUA...kAAOSwfpVZIg3H

(the left pedal is the one that will work loose) vs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Look-Keo-2-M...kAAOSwuLZY0V~H

As you can see the Max Blade set-up holds the axle in with a small outside bolt.

The pedal is inserted into the crank and you tighten it in with a long Allen if memory serves.
Old August 1st 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

The first and last Look pedals I had was years ago now but looking at
the parts on the web it appears that the pedal body screws onto the
pedal axle, which is made in left and right hand threads to screw into
the crank arms.

Yes John, but the both of the screws that bolt the pedal to the axle are normal threads so the left pedal insufficiently tightened works loose.
Old August 2nd 17, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 01/08/17 22:01, Duane wrote:
On 01/08/2017 7:42 AM, John B. wrote:

I had wondered whether the right and left pedal bodies had right and
left threads where they screw onto the pedal axle. I know that the
axle has R & L threads where they screw into the crank arms but
couldn't find anything about the body and axle join.

They do.

I couldn't remember.

I wonder then whether they spin backwards in the air flow on a roof rack?

We drove back from Korat, a city in central Thailand last Saturday and
when we stopped for lunch we parked next to a car with two bikes on
the top. I noticed that both bikes had the handle bars, the saddles,
and the pedals all wrapped with what looked like scrap cloth which was
tied on with twine.

Acid rain?

Maybe pedals do come off when exposed to the wind as someone suggested
:-)

I thought that was a possibility until it happened to the guy in front
of me Sunday. He doesn't have a roof rack and anyway we were 40k into
the ride.

Coincidence?

The only time I've transported my bike outside a car is on a tow bar
mounted bike rack. There's not much direct air flow there to get the
pedals spinning.

--
JS
Old August 2nd 17, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

Isn't the "Max" the one with the small bolt on the outside of
the pedal? I had a couple of the original Shimano Delta Cleat
pedals unscrew like Duane was talking about but the Look Delta
pedals never did that. Perhaps they have reverse threaded left
pedal lock.

No Tom. There is no small bolt on the outside of the pedal.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/look-keo-2-max-pedals/

JS - here is what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-KEO-QUA...kAAOSwfpVZIg3H

(the left pedal is the one that will work loose) vs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Look-Keo-2-M...kAAOSwuLZY0V~H

As you can see the Max Blade set-up holds the axle in with a small
outside bolt.

The pedal is inserted into the crank and you tighten it in with a
long Allen if memory serves.

There is no bolt like that on my Look Keo 2 Max pedals. The "Blade"
must be something different.

--
JS.

Falling off (black ice) Mr. Benn[_2_] UK 8 January 12th 10 12:02 PM
Dr. Andy's falling apart [email protected] Racing 44 March 6th 09 09:16 PM
Anyone Falling For It? Nuxx Bar UK 0 February 23rd 09 12:12 AM
Q. What goes up and down for six hours before falling over? davek UK 3 March 13th 06 06:17 PM
Not falling over on ice innes Unicycling 8 January 1st 06 06:17 PM