Bell Dashboard 100, re-enter odo numbers?

Old August 1st 17, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Bell Dashboard 100, re-enter odo numbers?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:44:53 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/31/2017 8:46 PM, John B. wrote:

On 2017-07-31 07:49, wrote:
On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 9:53:35 AM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 7/29/2017 2:09 PM, Joerg wrote:
I'd never use Reed or
anything mechanical in those, especially in an
environment that is prone
to vibration. Like ... a mountain bike.

:-) Joerg would never use what every current cyclometer
company (and
therefore almost every mountain biker) uses without
problems, because
his situation is just so gnarly!

Classic Joerg!

Actually it's classic Chinese manual.

Surprisingly the Bell manual is written in very good
English, doesn't look light "Designed in Outsourcia" at all.
My guess is that their software engineers simply messed up
or they didn't hold design reviews, or both.

One possible explanation, "Our new vendor doesn't have
anyone who could write a manual even in Chinese. Get the
intern to clean up some online manual and then print that."

I've always attributed it to "My brother-in-law needs a job and he
took English in school".

But more seriously, way back when Japanese manuals were as
incomprehensive as current Chinese manuals I approached a number of
Japanese companies with the idea of acting as a translator of their
"English" manuals into "Modern English" and not a single company was
interested as they all thought that *their* manual was perfect.

Perhaps you needed a more forceful approach. Someone may correct me but
IIRC, Jobst Brandt got his foot in the door at Porsche using exactly
that same proposal.

Jobst was not known for being diplomatic or shy. In that instance, that
probably worked well for him.

I can't comment on Jobst but I was approaching Japanese companies and
explaining that the average "American" was having problems
understanding the manual and that I could translate then from either
Japanese or English into "Commonly Used English", I believe I termed
it.

I never got to a discussion of "how much" as the companies I contacted
felt that their manuals/instruction sheets were perfectly fine and
while they were, as usual, very polite it was obviously a No Sale.

From what little I remember, Jobst was essentially a "native German
speaker" and took his discharge in Germany and joined Porsche as a
draftsman.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 1st 17, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2017-07-28 14:03, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
Had to change the battery again on my Bell Dashboard 100 cycling
speedometer. Or what they call "cycle computer" In the manual it says
one can re-enter the odometer reading but nowhere it says how. When I
contacted Bell years ago they said "no, you can't". Does anyone know a
secret trick Bell doesn't know?

I keep a log but it gets old having to calculate to see when the rear
tire or other stuff is nearing end-of-life. Mainly to avoid a *KAPOW*
surprise way out in the boonies. Many tires don't have TWI.

No idea sorry haven't used a computer like that for years they used to
drive me potty to be honest.

Yeah, their setup isn't the most intuitive. They also failed to design
in a reliable low battery warning. Mine started to ignore button presses
and the LCD was a bit pale. Turned out the battery was at 1.15V, amazing
that it still logged miles.

I'm guessing isn't your sort of thing, but at least one of the GPS
training/logging sites you can keep a list of bikes and components hence I
can see on average how long X part tends to last.

More normally I use it as note to check chains once they have hit likely
mileages.

I'd like to keep it simple, don't want to turn my bikes into rolling
computers. I was just wondering about the discrepancy between what the
manual says and what their customer service said.

I can see/understand that. But the bell being a cheap cycle computer they
probably don't expect anyone to replace the battery it is a fairly
disposable tech since the higher end ones are now GPS etc.

Thing about software is it can do mundane stuff much easier with less
hassle, I do use Higher end GPS computers over three bikes, and I let it
log the miles my bikes and tyres/chains etc are. It's near zero effort. I
did used to log the bikes miles before but not generally the parts as it
was just too much hassle.

I do deliberately buy the models that don't have that many features since I
will not use or want to be bothered by them. Had them for years they just
work to be honest.

Roger Merriman

Old August 1st 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 18:03, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:00:34 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-30 18:22, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:59:59 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-30 09:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/29/2017 2:09 PM, Joerg wrote:
I'd never use Reed or anything mechanical in those, especially in an
environment that is prone to vibration. Like ... a mountain bike.

:-) Joerg would never use what every current cyclometer company (and
therefore almost every mountain biker) uses without problems, because
his situation is just so gnarly!

Classic Joerg!

And, not surprisingly, my clients enjoy electronic designs of cast-iron
reliability and robustness.

Ah but your clients come to you because they want to solve a specific
problem while you take an object that is made to suit the general
public's needs and complain because it doesn't fit what you perceive
as your specific needs.

Your logic is faulty.

You don't know my jobs. A large part of them is designing systems from
scratch. And yes, there we hold design reviews where such flaws will be
flagged. For example, with med tech designs we have real physicians
sitting in on reviews and they are instructed to raise their hand
whenever they see something that should be improved.

That is exactly what I said, that "your clients come to you because
they want to solve a specific problem".

Every design on the planet is always an attempt to solve a "problem".
Even if the end customer is being told via tons of advertising that they
have a need they never thought they'd have.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 1st 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 17:52, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:44:48 -0700, Joerg

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 7:06:59 AM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
Had to change the battery again on my Bell
Dashboard 100 cycling speedometer. Or what they
call "cycle computer" In the manual it says one can
re-enter the odometer reading but nowhere it says
how. When I contacted Bell years ago they said "no,
you can't". Does anyone know a secret trick Bell
doesn't know?

I keep a log but it gets old having to calculate
to see when the rear tire or other stuff is
nearing end-of-life. Mainly to avoid a *KAPOW*
surprise way out in the boonies. Many tires don't
have TWI.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Looking at your day job from the above link why not
just design a circuit to replicate the job of the
magnet which is only a switch which is creating a
pulsed current/voltage read by the head unit
electronics. Then set the tyre size to maximum and
determine the maximum response frequency of the head
unit circuitry and simulate pulses at that frequency.
If the frequency is reasonably high it should not
take too long to reset the mileage. With a tyre
circumference of 9999mm, if it will take that, then
you are looking at 10m per Hz.

Sure I could design a meter that works better than
commercial one. However, I've got enough electronics
projects as it is. When I am fully retired, maybe. But
then I want to ride instead of build replacements for
messed-up commercial designs. On the bikes I already
had to do that for lighting but there it was a
necessity.

If I ever build my own it will be like what cars have
since over 100 years. A speedometer that is backlit at
night, works off the central battery and most of all
never forgets its odometer info.

I think that he was suggesting that you pulse the meter
until it reaches the mileage you originally had.

Yes, I misunderstood Graham. If almost all brands contain
Reed switches like Andrew said that might not be so great
for the lifetime of that switch. Also, it would eat up
battery because there will be a limit in the speed and I
guess that's not the same at on a Ferrari Testarossa. So
I'd have to let that artificial wheel run a long time in
order to get the usual 4000+ miles back in, and next time
8000+, then 12000+ and so on. Most likely that takes
weeks.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

It looks like you still have not got it. Lets forget the
grinder idea as I agree with Andrew about the read switches
and that does tend to rule that idea out. My first idea was
to do it electronically with a simple circuit that would send
relatively high frequency pulses to the appropriate terminals
on the head unit to simulate the action of the switch. From
your decription of your background surely this is a trivial
exercise and I am sure you will have the required circuit
components lying around on your bench. See my earlier posts
as to how long it would take at different frquency pulsing if
you set the tyre circumference to 9999mm. 4000 miles would
take around 180 hours at 1Hz, 18 hours at 10Hz etc and my
guess is that the head unit circuit should at least cope with
that. Any higher frequecy response would be a bonus.

Yeah, I could hack the cable aoart, roach on a MOSFET, wrap
the whole enchilade with duct take and feed pulses from a
function generator :-)
[snip]

Why so dramatic do you just like cludging things with duct tape.
Your head unit has two contacts on the back and my guess is that
if you apply a rapid series of shorts across those two contacts
the unit will display speed. How you might choose to apply those
shorts is up to you: electronically, mechanically eg make a
simple rotary switch driven by an electric drill or even a DPDT
relay wired to self oscillate. The possibilities are almost
endless, relatively simple and do not involve cable hacks and
duct tape cludges

I could probably do that but I am sure they have a lowpass filter
in there to mitigate noise and Reed bounce. Or I could pipe out the
power supply to some metal spots such as a couple of the mounting
screws and supply 1.5V while changing the battery. That way it
won't forget the mileage.

OK I give in. I am largely just a lurker in this group and only chip
in when things look like they are, as one might say, "tech". If you
are the "elecy techy" you claim to be then you could have solved this
problem without even troubling this news group. The reply above shows
that you know how to solve this problem so why waste bandwith?

sigh

Again, the reason for my question is this simple:

1. The manual says you can re-enter the mileage number (without tricks
such as clocking in the equivalent of thousands of miles which slurps
away a lot of juice from the newly installed battery).

2. The customer service says that it cannot be re-entered.

These statements clearly contradict each other. I simply wanted to know
which statement is correct and whether someone else had managed to
re-enter the odometer number, and most of all how.

I can't comment on Bell meters but on other makes, including a very
cheap Chinese meter, if the manual told you that you COULD re-enter
the mileage then it also told you HOW to re-enter the mileage.

What is it that I keep hearing repeated? RTFM?

Read and show us whe

https://www.scribd.com/document/3191...ard-100-Manual

Old August 1st 17, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
Had to change the battery again on my Bell
Dashboard 100 cycling speedometer. Or what they
call "cycle computer" In the manual it says one can
re-enter the odometer reading but nowhere it says
how. When I contacted Bell years ago they said "no,
you can't". Does anyone know a secret trick Bell
doesn't know?

Snipped

Have you tried contacting Bell with the model # of your item and asking them how to do it?

Cheers
Old August 1st 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
Had to change the battery again on my Bell
Dashboard 100 cycling speedometer. Or what they
call "cycle computer" In the manual it says one can
re-enter the odometer reading but nowhere it says
how. When I contacted Bell years ago they said "no,
you can't". Does anyone know a secret trick Bell
doesn't know?

Snipped

Have you tried contacting Bell with the model # of your item and asking them how to do it?

Cheers

Well he says that he contacted them years ago and they said it can't be
done. Not sure what the point of this thread is then...
Old August 1st 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
Had to change the battery again on my Bell
Dashboard 100 cycling speedometer. Or what they
call "cycle computer" In the manual it says one can
re-enter the odometer reading but nowhere it says
how. When I contacted Bell years ago they said "no,
you can't". Does anyone know a secret trick Bell
doesn't know?

Snipped

Have you tried contacting Bell with the model # of your item and
asking them how to do it?

I wrote that I did that.

Well he says that he contacted them years ago and they said it can't be
done. Not sure what the point of this thread is then...

The point is this: Customer service employees do not always know enough
about the technology and there may be a method that works that someone
here has discovered. Seems there isn't, but why not ask?

Old August 1st 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
Had to change the battery again on my Bell
Dashboard 100 cycling speedometer. Or what they
call "cycle computer" In the manual it says one can
re-enter the odometer reading but nowhere it says
how. When I contacted Bell years ago they said "no,
you can't". Does anyone know a secret trick Bell
doesn't know?
Snipped

Have you tried contacting Bell with the model # of your item and
asking them how to do it?

I wrote that I did that.

Well he says that he contacted them years ago and they said it can't be
done. Not sure what the point of this thread is then...

The point is this: Customer service employees do not always know enough
about the technology and there may be a method that works that someone
here has discovered. Seems there isn't, but why not ask?

I don't know. I'd just google it. Some people seem to have your
question but no one has found an answer.

Looking at the manual available online:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/88...?page=6#manual

When it says on page 6: "Total distance traveled is indicated by "ODO"
and displayed on the bottom line. To reset ODO, press both RIGHT and
LEFT buttons for 3 seconds or remove and replace the battery. Now press
the RIGHT button to advance to the DST mode"

This seems like the only reference to the ODO in the manual. It only
tells you how to reset the ODO. Not how to set it.
Old August 1st 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
[...]

This is the manual that gets shipped with the device:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3191...ard-100-Manual

It says on page 4, quote "Note: Replacing the battery will erase all
stored information. When installing a new battery after having used the
computer, make sure to write down the odometer value before changing the
battery so you can later re-enter it in the computer".

There is no instruction anywhere how to actually enter that value.

Old August 1st 17, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2017-07-29 02:14, Graham wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Yeah, you're right. I would not purchase anything from these guys.

--
duane